Transferring old HD to New HD, post XP installation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ivan.cromer, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. ivan.cromer

    ivan.cromer Guest

    So I finally put an 80 gig Hard Drive in my Compaq, it previosly had a 10gig
    in.
    I reinstalled XP, so all the Applications, i have installed on my old 10gig,
    is it possib;e to somehow copy the 10 onto the 80, like, if i put it in as
    a slave?. Bearing in mind, this was my O/S Master?(the 10)

    Reinstalling would probs have not been necessary, but i have waited 3 weeks
    to put the 80 in, as last time i tried it, my BIOS only recognised 16 gig of
    the 80(maxtor), so i went into realms of jotting down how to use Maxblast4,
    and do DDO's etc. Strangely enough..THIS time, after all the freaking out (i
    am totally new to upgrading), it recognised ALL 80 gig ??
    Confused, but very happy. So what can i do with my 10 gig, and all the
    usefull stuff on it, copy it to the 80 how.? I created a 50/30 partition c:
    and d: , e: is dvd rw, so will it allow me a slave, as i presume it will be
    F. ?? ... I have just put the old 10 in my PC as a slave, but i doubt just
    pasting everything would be Okay?

    Hope ya can Help Out Here, Thanks... Fred

    Compaq deskpro, XP Pro, pent 111, 650 mhz
    ivan.cromer, Nov 21, 2005

  2. ivan.cromer

    Dexter Guest

    ongf.24900$:

    3
    > veeks to put ze 80 in, as last time i tried it, mein BIOS only
    > r-r-recognised 16 gig uff ze 80(maxtor), zo i vent into r-r-realms uff

    jottingkt
    > down how to use Maxblast4, undt do DDO's etc. Strangely enough..THIS
    > time, after all ze freakingkt out (i am totally new to upgradingkt), it
    > r-r-recognised ALL 80 gig ??
    > Konfused, but fery happy. Zo vhat kan i do mitt mein 10 gig, undt all de
    > usefull stuff on it, kopy it to ze 80 how.? I kreated a 50/30
    > partition k: undt d: , e: ist dfd r-r-rw, zo vill it allow me a slafe, as

    > presume it vill be F. ?? ... I hafe just put ze old 10 in mein PC as a
    > slafe, but i doubt just pastingkt eferydingkt vould be Okay?
    >
    > Hope ya kan Help Out Here, Danks... Fred
    >
    > Kompaq deskpro, XP Pro, pent 111, 650 mhz

    What?

    --
    .... psychosomatic
    Dexter, Nov 21, 2005

  3. ivan.cromer

    Paul - xxx Guest

    ivan.cromer came up with the following;:
    > So I finally put an 80 gig Hard Drive in my Compaq, it previosly had a
    > 10gig in.
    > I reinstalled XP, so all the Applications, i have installed on my old
    > 10gig, is it possib;e to somehow copy the 10 onto the 80, like, if i put
    > it in as a slave?. Bearing in mind, this was my O/S Master?(the 10)

    > so i went into realms of jotting down how to
    > use Maxblast4

    If you mean the Maxtor Maxblast software, then you should have used the
    option to copy the original disk onto the new disk. This would make the 80
    gig 'look' and work like the poriginal 10 gig ...

    I'd suggest a re-format/play about with it again.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 21, 2005
  4. ivan.cromer

    cineman Guest

    put hdd in as slave then transfer all files you need over to new drive.
    cant think why you need to copy over the old operating system just the apps.
    and files you need.

    cineman, Nov 21, 2005
  5. ivan.cromer

    Todd H. Guest

    "cineman" <48.com> writes:
    > put hdd in as slave then transfer all files you need over to new drive.
    > cant think why you need to copy over the old operating system just the apps.
    > and files you need.

    Here's why: Modern apps rely on registry entries for their settings,
    and all the stuff the .ini files in the bad old days provided.

    The files associated with the registry are considered by most as
    "operating system" files. As are the shortcuts and the like to launch
    those files.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/