    Thanks for any advice offered.

    Cheers

    Caz

    Carol Quigley, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Carol Quigley

    beenthere Guest

    "Carol Quigley" <> wrote in message
    news:StAhg.13071$...
    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm finally getting shot of my old pc (9 years old - did me well) for a
    > brand spanking new Dell 3100 dimension pc with Windows XP.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to (transfer) import my "favourites" bookmarks from
    > Firefox and Internet Explorer to my new computer browser which will be the
    > same.
    >
    > Also is it for me to (transfer) import all my contacts details and
    > messages
    > and identity deals from Outlook on my old computer to Outlook on my new
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice offered.

    Hi Caz
    If you`ve got a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive in your new machine, all
    you`ve got to do is:
    On the old machine, Export your files to the CD\DVD, then
    Import them onto the new computer.
    In IE, go to Help\Contents and Index, and type in export.

    --
    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Carol Quigley

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:26:10 GMT, Carol Quigley wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm finally getting shot of my old pc (9 years old - did me well) for a
    > brand spanking new Dell 3100 dimension pc with Windows XP.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to (transfer) import my "favourites" bookmarks from
    > Firefox and Internet Explorer to my new computer browser which will be the
    > same.
    >
    > Also is it for me to (transfer) import all my contacts details and messages
    > and identity deals from Outlook on my old computer to Outlook on my new
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Caz

    Hi Caz,

    I've used this for Firefox/mozilla
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    It will transfer email, saved passwords, bookmarks, addressbook and
    settings

    See here for Outlook
    http://www.ibiztips.com/email26MAR01.htm
    http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm
    or Google for "backup Outlook"

    To save IE favorites, I believe you only have to copy the favorites folder
    from old pc to new pc. Or use File > Import and Export to create an html
    file and import that to the new pc.

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Hi there

    And thanks. Don't have a dvd/cd writer in old machine but have a pen drive,
    can I export to that? (silly question I know but asking just in case).

    Thanks

    Carol Quigley, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Carol Quigley

    > Hi there
    >
    > And thanks. Don't have a dvd/cd writer in old machine but have a pen
    > drive,
    > can I export to that? (silly question I know but asking just in case).

    Yes your pen drive will be fine..
    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Carol Quigley wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm finally getting shot of my old pc (9 years old - did me well) for a
    > brand spanking new Dell 3100 dimension pc with Windows XP.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to (transfer) import my "favourites" bookmarks from
    > Firefox and Internet Explorer to my new computer browser which will be the
    > same.

    More detailed: Firefox favorites are stored in a "bookmarks.html" file under
    your profile folder, which by default will be hidden. You have to set
    explorer to "show hidden files" to see it.
    A simple solution is to just start FF and export your bookmarks to a file on
    your pen drive.
    Same goes for IE, well you can copy the "Favorites" folder over.

    > Also is it for me to (transfer) import all my contacts details and
    > messages and identity deals from Outlook on my old computer to Outlook on
    > my new computer?

    Outlook and outlook express may have export functions for contacts, but
    messages can only be exported one-by-one from the database. Again, that one
    will be a hidden *.dbx file.
    You can copy that over together with the folder it is in, if your pendrive
    is big enough, otherwise delete old emails and big attachments and compact
    the database beforehand. On the new computer, "import messages".
    Take extreme care not to import/transfer viruses and trojans from old
    e-mails.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 7, 2006
  7. Carol Quigley

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm finally getting shot of my old pc (9 years old - did me well) for a
    > brand spanking new Dell 3100 dimension pc with Windows XP.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to (transfer) import my "favourites" bookmarks from
    > Firefox and Internet Explorer to my new computer browser which will be the
    > same.
    >
    > Also is it for me to (transfer) import all my contacts details and
    > messages
    > and identity deals from Outlook on my old computer to Outlook on my new
    > computer?

    File and settings trasnfer wizard - it's on the XP CD.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 8, 2006
  8. Dan Evans wrote:

    > "Carol Quigley" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I'm finally getting shot of my old pc (9 years old - did me well) for a
    >> brand spanking new Dell 3100 dimension pc with Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Is it possible for me to (transfer) import my "favourites" bookmarks from
    >> Firefox and Internet Explorer to my new computer browser which will be
    >> the same.
    >>
    >> Also is it for me to (transfer) import all my contacts details and
    >> messages
    >> and identity deals from Outlook on my old computer to Outlook on my new
    >> computer?

    > File and settings trasnfer wizard - it's on the XP CD.

    I also thought of that, but on a 9yr old computer with probably win9x?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 8, 2006
  9. Carol Quigley

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Dan Evans wrote:

    >> File and settings trasnfer wizard - it's on the XP CD.
    >>

    > I also thought of that, but on a 9yr old computer with probably win9x?

    I'm assured it works - though I haven't tested it myself as I don't support
    anything older than 2K at the moment, and I sure as fsck aren't going to
    install a 9x box yo find out.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 8, 2006