    the old computer? The old computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with
    XP already installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment.
    Thanks in advance.

    JJ the parrot, Jun 19, 2007

  2. JJ the parrot

    XPD Guest

    "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't > wrote in message
    >I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using Acronis
    >True Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with whatever (or no)
    >operating system, can I simply run Acronis (from the bootable CD I made
    >with it) and transfer everything, including a working and correctly
    >activated XP operating system on it, restart, and find that everything
    >works as it did on the old computer? The old computer was new 3 years ago
    >and I bought it with XP already installed. This is just a theoretical
    >question at the moment. Thanks in advance.

    Yes and no.
    You can put the image on the new system, but you'd have to do a Windows
    repair so it picks up and installs the new hardware or else expect Bluse
    Screen city upon booting :) Unless the chipset is very similar to your old
    system........
    If you have to do the repair, the youll need to re-enter your key, and
    probably activate again as Windows will pick up different hardware which
    causes a new activation key to be generated......
    Even then, its not 100% guaranteed that itll run fine, some systems just
    dont like running off other systems installs. Out of the ones Ive done, Ive
    probably had about an 85% success rate.
    If it fails, only thing you can really do is a clean install.

    XPD, Jun 19, 2007

  3. JJ the parrot

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    JJ the parrot wrote:
    > I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using
    > Acronis True Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with
    > whatever (or no) operating system, can I simply run Acronis (from the
    > bootable CD I made with it) and transfer everything, including a
    > working and correctly activated XP operating system on it, restart,
    > and find that everything works as it did on the old computer? The old
    > computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with XP already
    > installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment. Thanks
    > in advance.

    I did this recently - made an Acronis image of my work computer and
    installed it on my home computer so I could work from home without having to
    re-setup my development environment. I had to reinstall network, gfx card
    and sound drivers and reactivate XP and Office and then it worked perfectly.

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 19, 2007
  4. JJ the parrot

    jack Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:04:57 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't > wrote:

    >I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using Acronis True
    >Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with whatever (or no) operating
    >system, can I simply run Acronis (from the bootable CD I made with it) and
    >transfer everything, including a working and correctly activated XP
    >operating system on it, restart, and find that everything works as it did on
    >the old computer? The old computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with
    >XP already installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment.
    >Thanks in advance.

    You will not work as its on totally different hardware, plus you will not be able to activate it..

    jack, Jun 19, 2007
  5. JJ the parrot

    XPD Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message

    > You will not work as its on totally different hardware, plus you will not
    > be able to activate it..

    Can activate it.
    As I said in another thread, MS dont follow their own
    rules/procedures.......

    XPD, Jun 19, 2007
  6. JJ the parrot

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:04:57 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > > wrote:
    >
    >> I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using
    >> Acronis True Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with
    >> whatever (or no) operating system, can I simply run Acronis (from
    >> the bootable CD I made with it) and transfer everything, including a
    >> working and correctly activated XP operating system on it, restart,
    >> and find that everything works as it did on the old computer? The
    >> old computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with XP already
    >> installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment. Thanks
    >> in advance.

    > You will not work as its on totally different hardware, plus you will
    > not be able to activate it..

    Bullshit, I've done it.

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 19, 2007
  7. JJ the parrot

    EMB Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:04:57 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't > wrote:
    >
    >> I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using Acronis True
    >> Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with whatever (or no) operating
    >> system, can I simply run Acronis (from the bootable CD I made with it) and
    >> transfer everything, including a working and correctly activated XP
    >> operating system on it, restart, and find that everything works as it did on
    >> the old computer? The old computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with
    >> XP already installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment.
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > You will not work as its on totally different hardware, plus you will not be able to activate it..

    What utter bollocks Roger.

    EMB, Jun 20, 2007
  8. JJ the parrot

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "jack" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> You will not work as its on totally different hardware, plus you will not
    >> be able to activate it..
    >>

    > Can activate it.
    > As I said in another thread, MS dont follow their own
    > rules/procedures.......

    Anyone noticed that lately when you back Woger into a corner, he sneaks off
    on to another thread ? :)

    XPD, Jun 20, 2007
  9. JJ the parrot wrote:
    > I regularly make images of my hard disk, running XP Home, using Acronis True
    > Image 8.0. If I buy a new (or used) laptop, with whatever (or no) operating
    > system, can I simply run Acronis (from the bootable CD I made with it) and
    > transfer everything, including a working and correctly activated XP
    > operating system on it, restart, and find that everything works as it did on
    > the old computer? The old computer was new 3 years ago and I bought it with
    > XP already installed. This is just a theoretical question at the moment.
    > Thanks in advance.

    vmware have a free (as in "no $ cost") server available for windows or
    linux and a free converter to convert from a running system (or Acronis
    image IIRC) to a virtual machine image :)

    haven't done this with XP but it will probably require reactivation and
    there may be 'hardware change' issues

    dilberts_left_nut, Jul 2, 2007