    pop3 hotmail accounts in outlook express from where they still exist on the
    web page hotmail?

    Thanks for any advice.
    john royce, Sep 16, 2009

  2. john royce

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:21:49 +0100, "john royce"
    <> wrote:

    >I access hotmail mail accounts via outlook express. Recently MicroSoft
    >changed the configurations of this set up to a POP3 setting.
    >
    >Since the changeover all the different folders I had for the various hotmail
    >accounts have disappeared from Outlook Express.
    >
    >These folders still exist when I view the hotmail accounts via a web page.
    >
    >So is there a way i can transfer these folders and their contents to the
    >pop3 hotmail accounts in outlook express from where they still exist on the
    >web page hotmail?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.

    Forward the contents to you pOP. If that won't work forward them to
    your mom.
    joevan, Sep 16, 2009

  3. john royce

    NormanM Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:21:49 +0100, john royce wrote:

    > I access hotmail mail accounts via outlook express. Recently MicroSoft
    > changed the configurations of this set up to a POP3 setting.
    >
    > Since the changeover all the different folders I had for the various hotmail
    > accounts have disappeared from Outlook Express.
    >
    > These folders still exist when I view the hotmail accounts via a web page.
    >
    > So is there a way i can transfer these folders and their contents to the
    > pop3 hotmail accounts in outlook express from where they still exist on the
    > web page hotmail?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    No. POP3 is not a synchronizing protocol, it can only download email, and
    only the contents of the Inbox. One way to regain synchronizing access to
    Hotmail is to install Windows Live Mail, which can still access a Hotmail
    account using HTTPMail access.

    http://download.live.com/wlmail

    If you choose this method, the installer will actually offer to install a
    full suite of local applications. If all you want is the email client, make
    sure that "Windows Live Mail" is the only selection you make, when offered.

    Also, when you set up Windows Live Mail, it will offer to sign in to an
    existing Windows Live account. If you let it, WLMail will set up your
    contacts locally, and synchronize to the contact list on the server. WLMail
    always synchronizes the account you used for the Windows Live sing in, and
    so that will change, if you have multiple Windows Live IDs, and change which
    one is used for the sign in. You can ignore the sign in process, but then
    your contact list is just local, and not synchronized online.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come
    NormanM, Sep 17, 2009
  4. john royce

    thanatoid Guest

    "john royce" <> wrote in

    > I access hotmail mail accounts via outlook express.
    > Recently MicroSoft changed the configurations of this set
    > up to a POP3 setting.
    >
    > Since the changeover all the different folders I had for
    > the various hotmail accounts have disappeared from Outlook
    > Express.
    >
    > These folders still exist when I view the hotmail accounts
    > via a web page.
    >
    > So is there a way i can transfer these folders and their
    > contents to the pop3 hotmail accounts in outlook express
    > from where they still exist on the web page hotmail?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    I don't know how /useful/ this will be, I am sure most of it
    will be boring...

    I don't have the answer to your exact question, but I will say
    first of all that anyone who keeps ALL their email on ANY
    internet site rather than on their OWN COMPUTER is asking for
    it. Anything from a lightning strike or an earthquake or
    "financial problems" or insane management (as in Hotmail's case)
    can make you lose ALL your email forever.

    Anyway, I /JUST FOUND OUT/ (on a tech site, looking for an
    answer to another problem) that apparently as of Feb. 09 Hotmail
    became accessible via POP/SMTP protocols, therefore accessible
    by e-mail programs as small as 200KB, and FAST. (Well, I haven't
    tried, I dumped Hotmail when they claimed it would only work
    with XP and Vista "from now on" - but apparently it still works
    with 98SE for some people, I don't care, gmail had the POP/SMTP
    access first and I am positive Hotmail has added this
    functionality ONLY because they were losing customers to gmail.
    Both are evil, but at least Google admits to most of what it
    does. For a REAL email address which only important people get I
    pay the exorbitant sum of $15 a year and have total privacy,
    safety and no spam).

    Anyway, I would just get ANOTHER email program and not use OE
    [there are thousands of places where you can read WHY OE - and
    IE for that matter, but what's the point of even bringing it up,
    sigh - is NOT a good program to be using] and use the web
    Hotmail interface to set it up for POP/SMTP access and then
    never use OE again.

    There are MANY advantages to NOT using webmail, vastly reduced
    (in some cases eliminated) susceptibility to malware being one
    of them...

    FWIW... I use nPOP. Have it set to only DL the first 100 lines
    of a message - a big difference from some stupid webmail site
    opening the whole thing AND the virus-ridden attachment without
    even asking... etc.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2009
  5. john royce

    VanguardLH Guest

    john royce wrote:

    > I access hotmail mail accounts via outlook express. Recently MicroSoft
    > changed the configurations of this set up to a POP3 setting.
    >
    > Since the changeover all the different folders I had for the various hotmail
    > accounts have disappeared from Outlook Express.
    >
    > These folders still exist when I view the hotmail accounts via a web page.
    >
    > So is there a way i can transfer these folders and their contents to the
    > pop3 hotmail accounts in outlook express from where they still exist on the
    > web page hotmail?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    POP only understands the concept of a mailbox. That's it. It has no
    clue about folders (and why IMAP was later developed). In the commands
    for POP, there are none for navigating or selecting folders. Just the
    one mailbox is all it knows about. When you use the webmail interface
    to your e-mail account, the Inbox shows what is in the mailbox. So all
    you get via POP is what you see via webmail in your Inbox.

    IMAP lets you sync to folders between the client and server. Hotmail
    never has had IMAP access. Microsoft indicated they may add it but
    don't hold your breath. The only IMAP-like access to Hotmail is
    Deltasync which replaced DAV. Outlook and Outlook Express only natively
    understand the DAV protocol. An add-on for Outlook adds Deltasync
    support. Outlook Express is a long-dead product so it will never be
    updated to support Deltasync (unless some poor soul uses the badly
    documented API to OE to make one). Outlook Express was replaced by
    Windows Live Mail which does include Deltasync support.

    So you either use POP to access the Inbox of your Hotmail account or you
    use Outlook with its add-on, Windows Mail (in Vista), or Windows Live
    Mail to use Deltasync to access the subscribed folders of your Hotmail
    account.

    On average, Microsoft has made 2 major changes per year to Hotmail since
    buying that product back in 1997. Get used to a moving target as it
    will probably continue.
    VanguardLH, Sep 17, 2009
  6. john royce

    thanatoid Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > On average, Microsoft has made 2 major changes per year to
    > Hotmail since buying that product back in 1997. Get used
    > to a moving target as it will probably continue.

    Interesting statistic.

    And to think how excited we all were when we first heard of the
    /original/ HoTMaiL!
    SIGH.

    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2009
  7. john royce

    NormanM Guest

    On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 03:39:35 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:

    > I don't care, gmail had the POP/SMTP
    > access first and I am positive Hotmail has added this
    > functionality ONLY because they were losing customers to gmail.

    Actually, Hotmail had POP3/SMTP access before Gmail got started. Anybody who
    signed up with Hotmail prior to its purchase by Microsoft would have had
    it,and MS, apparently, allowed those Hotmail users with POP3/SMTP access to
    be "grandfathered" as long as they kept their accounts active.

    And, no, Hotmail did not included POP3/SMTP access to keep customers from
    fleeing to Gmail. Hotmail tried to turn off WebDAV access to Hotmail
    accounts about a year ago, and met much resistance from users of MS Outlook
    Express, and other MS clients, which allowed Hotmail access using the WebDAV
    protocol. So Hotmail delayed turning off WebDAV until they could create an
    alternative access for their loyal users stuck on clients which did not have
    the newer DeltaSync protocol, such as Windows Live Mail. They tested, then
    rolled out, there POP3/SMTP access, then started notifying users of MS
    Outlook, MS Outlook Express, and Entourage that the target date for turning
    off WebDAV access forever was Sept. 1, 2009; and that those users would have
    to either use POP3/SMTP, or upgrade to a newer MS application, for continued
    client access to Hotmail.

    Gmail had nothing to do with it, only the protocol changes.

    NormanM, Sep 17, 2009
  8. john royce

    thanatoid Guest

    NormanM <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 03:39:35 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I don't care, gmail had the POP/SMTP
    >> access first and I am positive Hotmail has added this
    >> functionality ONLY because they were losing customers to
    >> gmail.

    > Actually, Hotmail had POP3/SMTP access before Gmail got
    > started. Anybody who signed up with Hotmail prior to its
    > purchase by Microsoft would have had it

    /I/ am usually accused of being stuck in the past, since until a
    year ago I used a 12-year old 166MHz computer for everything
    except music file conversion, for which (and for which ONLY) I
    bought a 2GHz P4.

    But I wonder how many people - even in /this/ group - knew
    Hotmail was NOT an original Microsoft product, kinda like DOS...

    > and MS, apparently
    > allowed those Hotmail users with POP3/SMTP access to be
    > "grandfathered" as long as they kept their accounts active.

    Well, the whole thing with not being to delete a Hotmail
    accounts Vs. keeping them active etc. is just another example of
    brilliant MS logic...

    > And, no, Hotmail did not included POP3/SMTP access to keep
    > customers from fleeing to Gmail. Hotmail tried to turn off
    > WebDAV access to Hotmail accounts about a year ago,

    I never heard of it, so looked it up:

    Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning, or WebDAV, is a
    set of extensions to the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) that
    allows users to edit and manage files collaboratively on remote
    World Wide Web servers.

    (Wikipedia)

    Yes, sounds EXACTLY like what POP and SMTP do.

    > and met
    > much resistance from users of MS Outlook Express, and other
    > MS clients, which allowed Hotmail access using the WebDAV
    > protocol. So Hotmail delayed turning off WebDAV until they
    > could create an alternative access for their loyal users
    > stuck on clients which did not have the newer DeltaSync
    > protocol, such as Windows Live Mail. They tested, then
    > rolled out, there POP3/SMTP access, then started notifying
    > users of MS Outlook, MS Outlook Express, and Entourage that
    > the target date for turning off WebDAV access forever was
    > Sept. 1, 2009; and that those users would have to either
    > use POP3/SMTP, or upgrade to a newer MS application, for
    > continued client access to Hotmail.

    Well, your knowledge /is/ impressive.

    > Gmail had nothing to do with it, only the protocol changes.

    Maybe. No one knows for sure. FWIW, I don't know ANYONE who uses
    Hotmail who even knows what POP and SMTP are.

    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2009
  9. john royce

    NormanM Guest

    On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:32:22 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:

    > NormanM <> wrote in

    <snip>

    >> And, no, Hotmail did not included POP3/SMTP access to keep
    >> customers from fleeing to Gmail. Hotmail tried to turn off
    >> WebDAV access to Hotmail accounts about a year ago,

    > I never heard of it, so looked it up:
    >
    > Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning, or WebDAV, is a
    > set of extensions to the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) that
    > allows users to edit and manage files collaboratively on remote
    > World Wide Web servers.
    >
    > (Wikipedia)
    >
    > Yes, sounds EXACTLY like what POP and SMTP do.

    No. Not even close to exactly. Actually, the closest thing to HTTPMail plus
    WebDAV is: IMAP.

    >> and met much resistance from users of MS Outlook Express, and
    >> other MS clients, which allowed Hotmail access using the WebDAV
    >> protocol. So Hotmail delayed turning off WebDAV until they
    >> could create an alternative access for their loyal users
    >> stuck on clients which did not have the newer DeltaSync
    >> protocol, such as Windows Live Mail. They tested, then
    >> rolled out, there POP3/SMTP access, then started notifying
    >> users of MS Outlook, MS Outlook Express, and Entourage that
    >> the target date for turning off WebDAV access forever was
    >> Sept. 1, 2009; and that those users would have to either
    >> use POP3/SMTP, or upgrade to a newer MS application, for
    >> continued client access to Hotmail.

    > Well, your knowledge /is/ impressive.

    I just pay attention to the MS propaganda! ;)

    >> Gmail had nothing to do with it, only the protocol changes.

    > Maybe. No one knows for sure. FWIW, I don't know ANYONE who uses
    > Hotmail who even knows what POP and SMTP are.

    Microsoft has changed the identity of Hotmail; from MSN (MicroSoft Networks)
    to Windows Live. Actually, Windows Live is an umbrella for a suite of
    related services, and associated clients, allowing users to synchronize all
    kinds of data with online servers: Calendar, Photos, Documents, email, and
    more. WebDAV was, apparently, not extensible, and MS created the more
    extensible DeltaSynch protocol, just for the Windows Live services. Since it
    doesn't make sense to maintain to very similar protocols, MS started talking
    turning off WebDAV.

    While the change is not really directly related to keeping users from
    jumping over to Gmail, it is somewhat related to competing with Google on a
    larger front: "Cloud Computing"; the synchronization of data using local
    clients and remote servers.

    NormanM, Sep 18, 2009
  10. john royce

    thanatoid Guest

    NormanM <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > While the change is not really directly related to keeping
    > users from jumping over to Gmail, it is somewhat related to
    > competing with Google on a larger front: "Cloud Computing";
    > the synchronization of data using local clients and remote
    > servers.

    You are very well-informed, there are many things I have just
    chosen to ignore completely. When someone mentions cloud
    computing, I just switch out, for example. ;-)

    Thanks for the info in any case.

    thanatoid, Sep 20, 2009

    jean-paul luntadila, Sep 23, 2009
  12. john royce