    cost.

    TIA,
    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Nov 5, 2007

  2. ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    > Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    > Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    > I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    > elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    > at the novice level.
    >
    > Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    > cost.

    He could network the two computers, but that's probably not the best
    idea for a relative novice. Or he could use a flash drive if the older
    computer has USB ports. Or he could take the old computer's hard drive
    out and temporarily hook it up to the newer computer to do the transfer.
    Or he could burn a CD or three on the old one and then feed the files to
    the newer computer. Or he could use a shitload of floppy disks. He could
    upload to an internet server and then download from the newer PC. He
    could ... (starting to run low on ideas)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2007

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:39:01 -0500, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

    > My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    > Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    > Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    > I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    > elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    > at the novice level.
    >
    > Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    > cost.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mary

    Remove the old hard drive and install it into a USB enclosure. Now he can
    just tap into the files as needed. Sell the old case. I did that with my
    old ME hard drive. Still got it and use it as backup.

    For a network, he'll need a "crossover" patch cord. Might be a little scary
    setting up the first network, but once setup, transferring files is a snap.
    Done it that way with two laptops. Works great.

    richard, Nov 6, 2007
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    who'sthat Guest

    wrote:

    >My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    >Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    >Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    >I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    >elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    >at the novice level.
    >
    >Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    >cost.
    >
    >TIA,
    >Mary

    Can he burn CDs? Can he email them in pieces?

    who'sthat, Nov 6, 2007
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    chuckcar Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote in

    > My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    > Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    > Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    > I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    > elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    > at the novice level.
    >
    > Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    > cost.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mary

    How big are all the files together? if less than 10 meg floppies could
    do it with multiple volume archives using winzip (or in dos pkzip). If
    we're talking about 10-600 meg you could use a zip drive. Slow, but
    *very* reliable. More than that, I would be a) wondering how he managed
    to create so many actual documents and b) going to cdroms.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2007
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    wrote:

    >My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    >Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    >Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    >I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    >elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    >at the novice level.
    >
    >Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    >cost.
    >
    >TIA,
    >Mary

    Download Xplorer2Lite to new machine , ( free prog ) , hookup old
    drive to new machine and drag and drop files required between drives .

    , Nov 6, 2007
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    rjdriver Guest

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message

    > My elderly brother-in-law has a Win98 pc and wants to transfer his My
    > Documents, his spred sheets and other data files to his newly acquired
    > Win XP. He is 800 miles from me and asked if I could help.
    >
    > I find myself in a position where I need help in suggesting
    > elementary, user friendly ways to accomplish this for a person
    > at the novice level.
    >
    > Can some kind soul suggest easy ways to do this at minimal
    > cost.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mary

    As long as the 98 system has a USB port, a USB thumb drive (flash drive
    as first reply said) would be the easiest for a novice. He just plugs it
    in, the system recognizes it as a new drive, gives it a letter, and he can
    drag and drop (or copy and paste) the files with ease. A 2GB drive can be
    had for around $30 -$40. 1GB even cheaper. Make sure it comes with a
    driver disc for Windows 98, as that OS won't recognize a USB drive without
    it.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Nov 6, 2007
  8. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks to the responders for input and suggestions.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Nov 6, 2007