Transferring Files From Old IDE Drive To New PC With A SATA Drive: How ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    I was wondering whether it was possible to transfer
    a slave IDE type HD from my very old PC to a new potential PC that
    apparently comes with a SATA HD in it.

    I was told that it was not possible, as there are different cables,
    connectors, etc. that would be used in the new PC for the SATA HD, as
    compared to what my old PC uses for the IDE drive (probably) has.

    I real disappointment, as I thought that I would only have to physically
    transfer the D: drive I have now, which would be pretty simple.

    So, what do I do now ?

    Have lots of files on this present slave drive that I would sure like to
    transfer.
    I guess I can burn a load of CD's but was wondering if there's anything I
    might be missing ?

    a. Is there such a thing as an SATA to IDE drive cable, or the like that I
    could install in the new PC ?

    b. Are there still those (free ?) upload sites where you can upload a bunch
    of stuff, and then download it to another PC. Is this a practical approach
    at all
    (I do have Broadband) ?

    c. How about cable to cable transfers ?
    My present PC has the old USB type ports.
    Is via a cable practical using USB ports ? With my old USB, how fast would
    it go ?

    (If a decent approach, what brandto buy, transfer software, caveats to think
    about, etc. ?)

    d, Or, ... ?

    Would be most appreciative for any sugfgestions.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Yes you can transfer files. But you would need to have both hard drives
    setup. Then you can transfer them. The files don't go directly through the
    cable to the other hard anyways. They go into the motherboard then to the
    other drive. All you need to do is either install your OS then transfer, or
    if there are files you want for the new computer pre OS installation, then
    you can probably do it, buy adapters for SATA hard for your old computer and
    put it in as a slave hard drive then transfer.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Stevo Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I was wondering whether it was possible to transfer
    > a slave IDE type HD from my very old PC to a new potential PC that
    > apparently comes with a SATA HD in it.
    >
    > I was told that it was not possible, as there are different cables,
    > connectors, etc. that would be used in the new PC for the SATA HD, as
    > compared to what my old PC uses for the IDE drive (probably) has.
    >
    > I real disappointment, as I thought that I would only have to
    > physically transfer the D: drive I have now, which would be pretty
    > simple.
    >
    > So, what do I do now ?
    >
    > Have lots of files on this present slave drive that I would sure like
    > to transfer.
    > I guess I can burn a load of CD's but was wondering if there's
    > anything I might be missing ?
    >
    > a. Is there such a thing as an SATA to IDE drive cable, or the like
    > that I could install in the new PC ?
    >
    > b. Are there still those (free ?) upload sites where you can upload
    > a bunch of stuff, and then download it to another PC. Is this a
    > practical approach at all
    > (I do have Broadband) ?
    >
    > c. How about cable to cable transfers ?
    > My present PC has the old USB type ports.
    > Is via a cable practical using USB ports ? With my old USB, how fast
    > would it go ?
    >
    > (If a decent approach, what brandto buy, transfer software, caveats
    > to think about, etc. ?)
    >
    > d, Or, ... ?
    >
    > Would be most appreciative for any sugfgestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Check out the manual for the motherboard of the new machine. It will
    most likely have IDE connectors as well as the SATA ones, in which case
    you can connect the old hard drive directly, with the cable you have
    already. You might need to look closely at the boot sequence so that you
    don't inadvertrntly boot off the old drive though.

    There are USB to USB transfer cables available. But you might also
    consider an external USB drive box, and fit your old hard drive into
    that for connection to your new machine.
    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    | Robert11 wrote:
    | > Hello:
    | >
    | > I was wondering whether it was possible to transfer
    | > a slave IDE type HD from my very old PC to a new potential PC that
    | > apparently comes with a SATA HD in it.
    | >
    | > I was told that it was not possible, as there are different cables,
    | > connectors, etc. that would be used in the new PC for the SATA HD, as
    | > compared to what my old PC uses for the IDE drive (probably) has.
    | >
    | > I real disappointment, as I thought that I would only have to
    | > physically transfer the D: drive I have now, which would be pretty
    | > simple.
    | >
    | > So, what do I do now ?
    | >
    | > Have lots of files on this present slave drive that I would sure like
    | > to transfer.
    | > I guess I can burn a load of CD's but was wondering if there's
    | > anything I might be missing ?
    | >
    | > a. Is there such a thing as an SATA to IDE drive cable, or the like
    | > that I could install in the new PC ?
    | >
    | > b. Are there still those (free ?) upload sites where you can upload
    | > a bunch of stuff, and then download it to another PC. Is this a
    | > practical approach at all
    | > (I do have Broadband) ?
    | >
    | > c. How about cable to cable transfers ?
    | > My present PC has the old USB type ports.
    | > Is via a cable practical using USB ports ? With my old USB, how fast
    | > would it go ?
    | >
    | > (If a decent approach, what brandto buy, transfer software, caveats
    | > to think about, etc. ?)
    | >
    | > d, Or, ... ?
    | >
    | > Would be most appreciative for any sugfgestions.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | > Bob
    |
    | Check out the manual for the motherboard of the new machine. It will
    | most likely have IDE connectors as well as the SATA ones, in which case
    | you can connect the old hard drive directly, with the cable you have
    | already. You might need to look closely at the boot sequence so that you
    | don't inadvertrntly boot off the old drive though.
    |
    | There are USB to USB transfer cables available. But you might also
    | consider an external USB drive box, and fit your old hard drive into
    | that for connection to your new machine.

    That's my favorite suggestion too - then the drive can be used to carry data
    anywhere. I did that with an extra laptop drive (I upgraded my 12 to a
    40gig) and now carry it to work and back quite often.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004