    When I click start and my computer there's local drive "c" and local drive "d".

    If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't include the option to send from "c" to "d".

    Any help would be greatfully received.

    Topref, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Topref

    Ellis Guest

    >>"Topref" <> wrote in message
    >>I've been running Nortons Anti Virus for some time and it now appears that
    >>it's corrupted.

    >>I've been seriously thinking of formatting my c drive for some time and
    >>this looks like the ideal time. My hard drive is >>partitioned into two
    >>and XP is installed on both.This might seems like a daft question but how
    >>do I transfer files and folders >>from one to another?

    >>If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't
    >>include the option to send from "c" to "d".

    >>Any help would be greatfully received.

    To copy from one partition to another. Right click on folder to be copied
    and select "copy" or "cut" command. Then select the partition to be copied
    to, right click, and select "paste" command.

    You say you are going to partition the C drive but in fact the drive is
    divided into two partitions, so if you partition the whole drive you could
    lose both partitions and data. Do you mean you are planning to format just
    the C partition?

    You need to be very clear about what you are attempting to do. It would help
    to know the capacity of the drive and the size of the two partitions. Do
    you have two primary partitions? Presumably you are using a dual boot
    system. Is Norton corrupt on both partitions or just one?

    If you have one good operating system, then you could think about using
    Norton Ghost, if you have it, and ghost a copy from one partition to the
    other. Or you could format the c partition and then re-install XP from
    scratch.

    Before you attempt anything make sure you back up any data that is important
    onto cds or dvd's

    Ellis

    Ellis, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Topref

    The One Guest

    "Topref" <> wrote in message
    I've been running Nortons Anti Virus for some time and it now appears that
    it's corrupted.

    I've been seriously thinking of formatting my c drive for some time and this
    looks like the ideal time. My hard drive is partitioned into two and XP is
    installed on both.This might seems like a daft question but how do I
    transfer files and folders from one to another?

    When I click start and my computer there's local drive "c" and local drive
    "d".

    If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't
    include the option to send from "c" to "d".

    Any help would be greatfully received.

    Ignore what everyone else says, uninstall / delete Norton from your system,
    download and use better free antivirus programs such as AVG or Avast ones
    which won't ruin your system.

    The One, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Topref

    Topref Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    To The One, I've been thinking about that myself... thanks.

    To Ellis.

    Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the partitioned drive but I do have some questions.

    Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".

    My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.

    I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up "C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP Media Centre (or something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me if I'm wrong please.

    The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there but looks like I'll have to install Word and Excel as I have files to transfer too.

    Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my work files and the contents of My Documents.

    Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't mind.

    Cheers

    Topref, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Topref

    Ellis Guest

[...]

    Topref

    I must be honest and say it is impossible to advise you on how to go about
    formatting and partitioning without having the drive in front of me and
    knowing exactly what is what. There is always the danger of deleting data
    and I dread having to format and partition my own drives, if there is a
    danger of losing data, even though I have done it many, many, times before.

    I can only give you bits of general advice. For instance, you can copy My
    Documents over to the other partition the same way as you copied the other
    folders. The only difference is you may have to change the name if there is
    already a My Documents folder on the other partition. Simply call it My
    Documents X.

    Also, you need to establish exactly what your partitions are, and you can do
    this by accessing the following folder.

    Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.

    This will show you the hard drive and tell you whether the partitions are
    primary partitions, extended partitions or logical drives.

    Just take things slowly and try and master one thing at a time. You will get
    there eventually. It would be much better if you had a spare hard drive that
    you could experiment with.

    Ellis

    Ellis, Nov 25, 2005
  6. Topref

    Topref Guest

    Hi.

    Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I transferred last night before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the folders apparently moving.

    Tou are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being delivered today so will experiment with transferring stuff to my laptop.

    Topref, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Topref

    Topref Guest

    "Ellis" <> wrote in message news:dm5r9b$sfq$...

    > " To Ellis.
    >
    > <<Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the
    > partitioned drive but I do have some questions.
    > <<Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders
    > back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".
    > <<My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.
    > <<I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up
    > "C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP <<Media Centre (or
    > something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me
    > if I'm wrong please.
    > <<The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there
    > but looks like I'll have to install Word and <<Excel as I have files to
    > transfer too.
    > <<Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my
    > work files and the contents of My Documents.
    > <<Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't
    > mind.
    >
    > Topref
    >
    > I must be honest and say it is impossible to advise you on how to go about
    > formatting and partitioning without having the drive in front of me and
    > knowing exactly what is what. There is always the danger of deleting data
    > and I dread having to format and partition my own drives, if there is a
    > danger of losing data, even though I have done it many, many, times before.
    >
    > I can only give you bits of general advice. For instance, you can copy My
    > Documents over to the other partition the same way as you copied the other
    > folders. The only difference is you may have to change the name if there is
    > already a My Documents folder on the other partition. Simply call it My
    > Documents X.
    >
    > Also, you need to establish exactly what your partitions are, and you can do
    > this by accessing the following folder.
    >
    > Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.
    >
    > This will show you the hard drive and tell you whether the partitions are
    > primary partitions, extended partitions or logical drives.
    >
    > Just take things slowly and try and master one thing at a time. You will get
    > there eventually. It would be much better if you had a spare hard drive that
    > you could experiment with.
    >
    > Ellis

    Hi.

    Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I transferred last night before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the folders apparently moving.

    You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being delivered today so will experiment with transferring stuff to my laptop.

    Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.

    Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word, Nortons throw up a window telling me that "Norton anti virus 2005 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"

    I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's definitely corrupted.

    Topref, Nov 25, 2005
  8. Topref

    Ellis Guest

    >>Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media
    >>Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I >>transferred last night
    >>before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the
    >>folders apparently moving.

    If you copy and paste, the original files remain. If you cut and paste, the
    original files are gone. If you cant find the files try looking for them in
    the Recycle Bin. You can then restore them to their original folder.

    >>You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being
    >>delivered today so will experiment with transferring >>stuff to my laptop.

    >>Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary
    >>and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.

    So you were right in your plan. Windows XP is installed on the c partition,
    and the d partition is used as a storage drive.

    How do you plan to format the c partition.???

    >>Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word,
    >>Nortons throw up a window telling me that >>"Norton anti virus 2005 does
    >>not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"

    >>I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's
    >>definitely corrupted.

    If you go to the Norton Web-site you should be able to download the "Norton
    Removal Tool" which is presumably designed to remove all of Norton.

    Ellis

    Ellis, Nov 25, 2005
  9. Topref

    Topref Guest

    "Ellis" <> wrote in message news:dm7cf2$6o1$...

    >>>Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media
    >>>Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I >>transferred last night
    >>>before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the
    >>>folders apparently moving.

    > If you copy and paste, the original files remain. If you cut and paste, the
    > original files are gone. If you cant find the files try looking for them in
    > the Recycle Bin. You can then restore them to their original folder.

    The originals are still there because I did copy and paste, but the ones I can find are the ones on the donor "d" drive

    >>>You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being
    >>>delivered today so will experiment with transferring >>stuff to my laptop.

    >>>Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary
    >>>and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.

    > So you were right in your plan. Windows XP is installed on the c partition,
    > and the d partition is used as a storage drive.
    >
    > How do you plan to format the c partition.???

    To be quite honest, I don't know.

    >>>Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word,
    >>>Nortons throw up a window telling me that >>"Norton anti virus 2005 does
    >>>not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"

    >>>I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's
    >>>definitely corrupted.

    > If you go to the Norton Web-site you should be able to download the "Norton
    > Removal Tool" which is presumably designed to remove all of Norton.
    >
    > Ellis

    Do you happen to know if there's a way of copying my e.mails? I have a lot of work related ones there that I should hang on to. Sorry to be a pain.

    Topref, Nov 25, 2005
  10. Topref

    Ellis Guest

    << Do you happen to know if there's a way of copying my e.mails? I have a
    lot of work related ones there that I should hang << on to. Sorry to be a
    pain.

    You could create a new folder on your storage partition and then highlight
    each email and use the "File" / "Save As" command to save each email to the
    new folder.

    Also, if you access Outlook Express and go in to
    Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder you can change the location where
    your emails are saved. You could create a new folder and use this to store
    your emails.

    Ellis

    Ellis, Nov 26, 2005
  11. Topref

    Ttopref Guest

    "Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > << Do you happen to know if there's a way of copying my e.mails? I have a
    > lot of work related ones there that I should hang << on to. Sorry to be a
    > pain.
    >
    > You could create a new folder on your storage partition and then highlight
    > each email and use the "File" / "Save As" command to save each email to
    > the new folder.
    >
    > Also, if you access Outlook Express and go in to
    > Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder you can change the location where
    > your emails are saved. You could create a new folder and use this to store
    > your emails.
    >
    > Ellis

    Finally can give you an answer about the formatting issue.

    When I booted via the CD ROM, it recognised the two partitions and asked me
    which one I wanted to format. I successfully formatted my c drive and the
    other partition was left intact.

    I've now got another problem which I'll post in a few minutes.

    Ttopref, Nov 28, 2005