Transferring files and settings from 64 bit to 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by J Pearsall (Daniel), Apr 4, 2009.

  1. I bought a 64 bit Vista on a laptop. Used the Windows Easy Transfer
    (WET) to transfer files and settings from my old computer to this new
    one and then reformatted the old computer. Quickly decided that 13"
    screen on this new laptop was too small so before sending it back to
    Dell, I used the WET to transfer files/settings to an external HD
    until my new 15" laptop arrived. You guessed it, the new laptop was a
    32 bit OS Vista. I tried using the WET to take the files from the
    external HD and transfer them to the new 32 bit and it wouldn't work.
    I called MS support, Geek Squad to no avail. I ended up buying
    another 64 bit laptop from Best Buy just so I could open that file on
    the external HD (I can return in within 14 days with a 15% restocking
    fee).

    Now, I have all of the files and settings installed on this temporary
    laptop. What's the best way to transfer the files and settings from
    the temporary 64 bit laptop to my permanent 32 bit laptop? I just
    don't want to manually find every last file and drop and drag to the
    new computer.

    I already know that I can't use WET for this!! Thanks in advance.

    Patrick

    J Pearsall (Daniel), Apr 4, 2009

  2. On Apr 3, 6:12 pm, "J Pearsall (Daniel)" <> wrote:
    > I bought a 64 bit Vista on a laptop.  Used the Windows Easy Transfer
    > (WET) to transfer files and settings from my old computer to this new
    > one and then reformatted the old computer.  Quickly decided that 13"
    > screen on this new laptop was too small so before sending it back to
    > Dell, I used the WET to transfer files/settings to an external HD
    > until my new 15" laptop arrived.  You guessed it, the new laptop was a
    > 32 bit OS Vista.  I tried using the WET to take the files from the
    > external HD and transfer them to the new 32 bit and it wouldn't work.
    > I called MS support, Geek Squad to no avail.  I ended up buying
    > another 64 bit laptop from Best Buy just so I could open that file on
    > the external HD (I can return in within 14 days with a 15% restocking
    > fee).
    >
    > Now, I have all of the files and settings installed on this temporary
    > laptop.  What's the best way to transfer the files and settings from
    > the temporary 64 bit laptop to my permanent 32 bit laptop?  I just
    > don't want to manually find every last file and drop and drag to the
    > new computer.
    >
    > I already know that I can't use WET for this!!  Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Patrick

    BTW, would I run into the same problem if I transferred the files/
    settings directly from one computer to another using the crossover
    ethernet cable?

    Patrick

    J Pearsall (Daniel), Apr 4, 2009