Transferring files and folder on my two computer home net work

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Belprice, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. Belprice

    Belprice Guest

    Hi everyone ,

    I have two problems which are kind of related and I would be grateful for
    any advise or help anyone could offer me.

    1) I have a serious problem with space on my main network computer at home
    and I was wondering if its possible to transfer larger files and folders from
    this computer to the second computer on my wireless home network. I have one
    computer downstairs and another in my office updstairs. the downstairs
    computer is my main computer and I have linked this to the computer upstairs.
    I know nothing about home networks , but just about managed to follow the
    instructions and set one up. I noticed that I can now share files ect , but I
    want to know if I can access the downstairs computers files and documents
    folders and move larger files between the two computers. Also, is there any
    way I can strip the downstairs computer down to the bare minuim and make more
    space available on this computer.

    2)

    I would also like to know if its possible for me to transfer all my
    documents and settings from my old hard drive to a new larger hard drive. If
    I can do this , what is the best way to do this and after i have copied all
    the files, settings and folder to the new drive , can I just replace the old
    drive with the new drive , pop it into my computer and start up windows as
    normal. I am very stupid when it comes to these things and would be grateful
    for fools instructions on any steps or advice given by anyone kind enough to
    help me with these issues.

    A million thanks in advance

    Kind regrds

    Belprice, Oct 11, 2009

  2. "Belprice" <> wrote in message

    > 1) I have a serious problem with space on my main network computer at home
    > and I was wondering if its possible to transfer larger files and folders

    from
    > this computer to the second computer on my wireless home network. . . ..
    > I know nothing about home networks , but just about managed to follow the
    > instructions and set one up. I noticed that I can now share files ect ,

    but I
    > want to know if I can access the downstairs computers files and documents
    > folders and move larger files between the two computers.

    Ease of doing this depends on your operating system, shared
    drives (essential) and file permissions (optional.) In a stable home
    network you should have no trouble loading quite large files (e.g.
    pictures, music, accounts) from PC#1 and writing them to PC#2.

    > Also, is there any
    > way I can strip the downstairs computer down to the bare minuim and make

    more
    > space available on this computer.

    Yes, this is nowadays easy, not least because high-capacity
    hard drives are so cheap. A different option (without networking)
    is to buy a "portable" USB drive, back up onto it everything from
    both PC#1 and PC#2, then and then read from the USB drive
    whatever you need.

    > 2) I would also like to know if its possible for me to transfer all my
    > documents and settings from my old hard drive to a new larger hard drive.

    If
    > I can do this , what is the best way to do this and after i have copied

    all
    > the files, settings and folder to the new drive , can I just replace the

    old
    > drive with the new drive , pop it into my computer and start up windows

    Certain drive vendors have free software for just this purpose.
    I used Western Digital software to clone everything from the
    old hard drive to a new WD larger drive (installed inside the
    PC on the other IDE channel) then reset the BIOS to
    boot from the new larger drive, then reformat the old smaller
    drive to use for additional storage space. This works trouble-free
    only in the same single PC. (WinXP attempts to prevent your
    booting PC#2 on a drive taken from PC#1.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Oct 11, 2009

  3. Hi
    1. Connection between the computers and files transfer is possible provided
    that you configure correctly the File Sharing.
    2. Trimming down is usually possible, but it depends on what you have and
    what you need. There is No way to tell you how and what without actually
    seeing what is in your HD.
    3. There are application that can transfer the whole old drive as is to a
    new larger drive.
    This is an example, http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 13, 2009