    through the PC Card slots?

    Thanks in advance for advice.

    Peter

    Peter Billinghurst, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Peter  Billinghurst

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Peter Billinghurst wrote:

    > I have a laptop with USB 1.1 and PC Card slots.
    >
    > What is the best way to transfer digital pics from a compact flash card to
    > the laptop?
    >
    > The camera comes with a USB cable. What is needed if I want to transfer
    > through the PC Card slots?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice.

    You need a CF Card to cardbus adapter.. Cardbus is also known as PCMCIA.

    The CF card plugs in the adapter.. The adapter plugs in your laptop slot.

    You can pick these up at most computer places for about $5 - $15 US..

    Use google to search the web for "cardbus" and "Compact flash" You'll see what
    they look like.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Thanks Jim - I assume that this is through the PC Card slot. Is this IYO
    better that using a card reader through USB?

    Peter

    Peter Billinghurst, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Peter  Billinghurst

    Guest

    Peter Billinghurst <> wrote:
    > I have a laptop with USB 1.1 and PC Card slots.

    > What is the best way to transfer digital pics from a compact flash card to
    > the laptop?

    > The camera comes with a USB cable. What is needed if I want to transfer
    > through the PC Card slots?

    Best is a matter of personal preference. I have a Compact Flash card reader that I
    plug into my camera's USB port which works very well. I like using the reader
    because it doesn't drain the camera's batteries each time I transfer photos to my
    laptop. You can by a reader for whatever memory card medium you need at any decent
    computer store. Some readers will even handle multiple types of memory cards.

    , Nov 13, 2003
  5. Peter  Billinghurst

    John Guest

    "Peter Billinghurst" <> wrote
    > I have a laptop with USB 1.1 and PC Card slots.
    > What is the best way to transfer digital pics from a compact flash card to
    > the laptop?

    See the SanDisk PC Card Adapter SDCF-38-Ƙ3 at this address:

    http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/pc_adapter.asp

    You indicated you use CF memory.

    I have a friend who uses xD memory which she inserts into a CD adapter which
    in turn goes into the PC Card adapter. Wierd but effective.

    John, Nov 13, 2003
  6. Peter  Billinghurst

    Dan R Guest

    Peter,
    I to had the same issue one month ago. My PC is USB 1.1 and Xfered 256MB is
    about 3 minutes.
    Heres what I did:
    ONE: I bought a USB 2.0 card reader ( I got a Belkin 8-1 on sale 19.99 on
    the Dell site, they will wave shipping$ if you find a competitive price
    elsewhere. hint hint)
    TWO: I Installed a Belkin 5 port USB 2.1 PCI card (Walmart 29.97 (cheapest
    "good" USB card I could find)
    TOTAL $50 bucks plus 15 min install time.

    My DL went from 3plus minutes to about 50 seconds... zooooooooooooooom
    I never connect my camera to my PC .. I swap out one of my 4 CF cards.

    Good luck,
    David

    Dan R, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Peter  Billinghurst

    Dan R Guest

    Nevermind.. I'm an IDIOT. you said "Laptop" I missed that small detail!
    lol

    As you were....

    Dan R, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Peter  Billinghurst

    John Guest

    One of the things I love about my Toshiba tablet PC. Built in CF and
    SD slots.

    John, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Peter  Billinghurst

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Peter Billinghurst wrote:

    > I have a laptop with USB 1.1 and PC Card slots.
    >
    > What is the best way to transfer digital pics from a compact flash card to
    > the laptop?
    >
    > The camera comes with a USB cable. What is needed if I want to transfer
    > through the PC Card slots?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice.
    >

    > Peter

    Hands down, get a PC card to CF card adapter. About $10 and transfers
    as fast as the card can go.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Peter  Billinghurst

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Peter Billinghurst wrote:

    > Thanks Jim - I assume that this is through the PC Card slot. Is this IYO
    > better that using a card reader through USB?

    Well.. PCMCIA doesn't scream.. It'll probably be about the same speed as your
    USB reader. (But both will much faster than the direct camera connection).

    The real bonus is that you don't have to drag around a USB card reader.. These
    are bulkier and have wires you'll probably wind up having to untangle from
    time to time.

    The PCMCIA adapter is very small, thin and has no wires dangling from it. It's
    much easier to pack and carry.

    I carry one in my camera bag for transferring pics to my laptop when I'm on the
    road.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 14, 2003
  11. Peter  Billinghurst

    Benny Guest

    I agree with the posters who suggest a PCMCIA adapter. If you don't use
    that slot for anything else, you can just leave it in the laptop. When you
    take the CF card out of the camera and stick it in the PCMCIA, it acts like
    another hard drive on your computer- very easy to transfer stuff. With Win
    XP and the Canon 300D, at least, the whole process is amazingly simple, even
    for a non-tecchiehead like yours truly
    --
    Benny
    *******

    Benny, Nov 14, 2003
  12. Thanks Jim - Is the PC card slot, IYO,
    better than using a card reader through USB?

    Peter Billinghurst, Nov 14, 2003