    Only the new has Ethernet.

    --
    MsyJsy

    Jesse A. Harrington, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Jesse A. Harrington

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jesse A. Harrington" <> wrote in
    news:HpHFc.1510$:

    > Both PC's have USB's, can you do something through them?
    > Only the new has Ethernet.

    I don't see why you couldn't use a USB to RJ45 adapter with its driver
    installed on the USB only machine. Then you could take a null cable and
    plug it into RJ45 of the Ethernet connection on the new machine and the
    USB/RJ45 and transfer files from the old machine.

    It's a shot at a solution for you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Jesse A. Harrington

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >| "Jesse A. Harrington" <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > Both PC's have USB's, can you do something through them?
    >| > Only the new has Ethernet.
    >| >

    >| I don't see why you couldn't use a USB to RJ45 adapter with its
    >| driver installed on the USB only machine. Then you could take a null
    >| cable and plug it into RJ45 of the Ethernet connection on the new
    >| machine and the USB/RJ45 and transfer files from the old machine.
    >|
    >| It's a shot at a solution for you.
    >|
    >| Duane :)

    Probably won't cost much more than the special LPT data transfer cable
    needed...and it would be *much* faster!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Jesse A. Harrington

    Scottie Guest

    I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and they actually
    rang. They are making this a police matter, you sicko and if I ever get my
    hands on you, I'll slice your nuts off.
    ======

    Scottie, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Jesse A. Harrington

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Scottie" <> wrote in

    > I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and they
    > actually rang. They are making this a police matter, you sicko and if
    > I ever get my hands on you, I'll slice your nuts off.

    If you're not the nut with another shape shifting act, then you have my
    apology for the nut's actions as me.

    I think that if you read a couple of posts around here and looked for the
    facts and the truth you would see that some young troll is posting as me.

    I doubt seriously that the ISP will do anything, once I present the
    facts.

    But on the other hand since you need to go off the deep end with it, you
    know what you can do with it don't you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Jesse A. Harrington

    ~S~ Guest

    go to a store and get a power supply splitter for the old drive to connect
    to the new..

    or network them

    or use pc anywhere if still has os useful

    or...

    driveimage compress and cd burn transfer

    etc

    "Jesse A. Harrington" <> wrote in message
    > Can you transfer data though the parallel ports.
    > I have recently replaced my computer. My old one is going to be used as a
    > jukebox in the garage, but there is a few gigs that include music, photos
    > and documents that I want to duplicate to my new PC.
    > I already considered taking the secondary hard disk from the old PC
    > (contains all that I want to put on the new PC) and putting it in the new

    > simply drag the files to the new. But there is not an extra power supply

    in
    > the new for another hard drive.
    > To make a long story short, the new computer is in place and all the wires
    > are routed and zip tied. I am not willing to open it up again until I

    really

    ~S~, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Jesse A. Harrington

    >| "Scottie" <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and they
    >| > actually rang. They are making this a police matter, you sicko and
    >| > if I ever get my hands on you, I'll slice your nuts off.
    >|

    >| If you're not the nut with another shape shifting act, then you have
    >| my apology for the nut's actions as me.
    >|
    >| I think that if you read a couple of posts around here and looked
    >| for the facts and the truth you would see that some young troll is
    >| posting as me.
    >|
    >| I doubt seriously that the ISP will do anything, once I present the
    >| facts.
    >|
    >| But on the other hand since you need to go off the deep end with it,
    >| you know what you can do with it don't you.
    >|
    >| Duane :)

    heh heh...someone needs thicker skin, huh! Usenet is *not* for wimps...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    > "Scottie" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and
    >> they actually rang. They are making this a police matter, you
    >> sicko and if I ever get my hands on you, I'll slice your nuts
    >> off.

    I can't see the above message.
    I'm betting you are chatting with a troll.

    What do the headers say??

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Jesse A. Harrington

    Rob K Guest

    Jesse A. Harrington wrote :

    > Can you transfer data though the parallel ports.

    Yes. You'll need a special cable. You didn't say what OS's. With Win9x
    it will not always work ....

    > (....) But there is not an extra power supply in
    > the new for another hard drive.

    And (....) I am not willing to open it up again until I really
    > have to.

    > Only the new has Ethernet.

    Well you'll have to do something! Why not install a cheap NIC on the
    old machine ?

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jul 4, 2004
  10. Jesse A. Harrington

    MsyJsy Guest

    I am clueless, I was hoping I could just plug in some cables and that the
    old would show up in windows explorer on the new PC. I suppose it does not
    work that way?

    --
    MsyJsy

    MsyJsy, Jul 4, 2004
  11. Jesse A. Harrington

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "MsyJsy" <> wrote in message
    >| I am clueless, I was hoping I could just plug in some cables and
    >| that the old would show up in windows explorer on the new PC. I
    >| suppose it does not work that way?

    Okay - let's get techincal here...

    Three basic options:
    1) network
    2) backup/restore
    3) temporary hard drive transfer

    And briefly:
    1) network requires a little more hardware than you currently have
    2) backup/restore is slow and tedious
    3) hard drive transfer requires opening the cases and is somewhat technical

    Option 1: networking
    A) Your idea for a parallel port (or serial port, for that matter)
    connection is valid. It does, however require a custom cable. If you buy (or
    make) the cable, you then can run the direct cable connection software built
    in to Windows.

    B) The faster solution (and probably less expensive) is to buy (borrow?) one
    network card for the computer that doesn't have one, and also a CAT5
    crossover cable. Then you set up a home network between the two computers.
    Does require some patience and Windows savvy, but actually my favorite
    option.

    Option 2:
    Backup your data files to CDROM if you have a burner. Or backup to an
    external drive (expensive), "thumb" drive (memory stick on a USB
    connection), etc. Then load them into the new computer. One warning: files
    written to CDROM are marked "Read Only" by Windows. That can be fixed after
    they are copied to the new system.

    Option 3:
    Temporarily remove the hard drive with the data on it from the old system,
    and install it in the new system. Use Windows Explorer to copy the files to
    the hard drive of the new system. Take the drive back out and return it to
    the original system

    You decide. Then post back here with how you would like to proceed, and
    someone will help you with the step-by-step details, and/or web links to
    help you learn what you will need to know.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Jesse A. Harrington

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > I can't see the above message.
    > I'm betting you are chatting with a troll.
    >
    > What do the headers say??

    I think you would lose that bet. After looking at the headers from Scottie
    the OP where he was insulted by the troll impersonator to this recent post
    by pissed off daddy, it's the OP. He is gone! :)

    I did get off the phone with my ISP and they told me the procedure I should
    take to correct someone doing a wrong abuse report.

    I should turn the table and have him thrown in jail. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Boomer spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <40e751a5$0$50697$>

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Scottie" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and
    >>> they actually rang. They are making this a police matter, you
    >>> sicko and if I ever get my hands on you, I'll slice your nuts
    >>> off.

    > I can't see the above message.
    > I'm betting you are chatting with a troll.
    >
    > What do the headers say??

    I suspect this is why "Mail-To-News-Contact: "

    Anywho, here they are in their entirety.

    From:
    "Scottie" <>
    Re: Transferring data to another PC
    Date:
    Sun, 04 Jul 04 00:18:36 GMT
    Newsgroups:
    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Normal
    Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:17:59 GMT

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Jesse A. Harrington

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "MsyJsy" <> wrote in

    > I am clueless, I was hoping I could just plug in some cables and that
    > the old would show up in windows explorer on the new PC. I suppose it
    > does not work that way?

    If you have the right equipment, then it's a piece of cake. Like the other
    poster has indicated post what you plan to do and someone will help you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2004
  15. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    >> I can't see the above message.
    >> I'm betting you are chatting with a troll.
    >>
    >> What do the headers say??
    >>

    > I think you would lose that bet.

    I win the bet.

    I cleared out my filters and got this:

    From: "Scottie" <>
    Subject: Re: Transferring data to another PC
    Date: Sun, 04 Jul 04 00:18:36 GMT
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > After looking at the headers
    > from Scottie the OP where he was insulted by the troll
    > impersonator to this recent post by pissed off daddy, it's the
    > OP. He is gone! :)

    Notice these :
    "anon.lcs.mit.edu!nym.alias.net!mail2news"

    The 'real' Scottie did NOT have headers like the above (troll).

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  16. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    "Scottie" <> wrote:

    > I have reported you to your ISP. I asked them to call me and
    > they actually rang. They are making this a police matter, you
    > sicko and if I ever get my hands on you, I'll slice your nuts
    > off. ======

    [snip]

    From: "Scottie" <>
    Date: Sun, 04 Jul 04 00:18:36 GMT
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  17. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    Thund3rstruck_n0i <> wrote:

    > Boomer spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    > proclaimed in
    > <40e751a5$0$50697$>
    >
    >> Duane Arnold <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Scottie" <> wrote in

    >> I can't see the above message.
    >> I'm betting you are chatting with a troll.
    >>
    >> What do the headers say??

    > I suspect this is why "Mail-To-News-Contact:
    > "
    >
    > Anywho, here they are in their entirety.

    Certainly not the 'real' Scottie.

    > From:
    > "Scottie" <>
    > Re: Transferring data to another PC
    > Date:
    > Sun, 04 Jul 04 00:18:36 GMT
    > Newsgroups:
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Normal
    > Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:17:59 GMT

    Certainly not the 'real' Scottie.

    Thanks, hund3rstruck_n0i.

    I got curious myself, because I could not see the message. So I did
    zero out my filters for a short time and saw the same as you did.

    <Filters back in place.>

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  18. Jesse A. Harrington

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:40e75e62$0$50697
    $:

    > I win the bet.

    It looks like you do. I am getting an education on reading *headers*.
    Thanks for the tip on the Path now that I see it clearly. :)

    24hour has some real whacko nut cases running around in it that Xnews must
    be applied. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    > Boomer <> wrote in

    >> I win the bet.

    You owe me a beer. ;o)

    > It looks like you do. I am getting an education on reading
    > *headers*. Thanks for the tip on the Path now that I see it
    > clearly. :)

    You're welcome. :)

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  20. Jesse A. Harrington

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer <> wrote:

    > Thund3rstruck_n0i <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Thanks, hund3rstruck_n0i.

    I lost the 'T'. Sorry, Thund3rstruck_n0i! And thank you again. :)

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004