    happy at the moment!

    Thanks

    James

    JAM, Apr 28, 2007

  2. JAM <> wrote:
    : Does anyone know how to move an ACDsee database from one computer to
    : another?

    : My story is that I have upgraded to a new PC, and have transferred my
    : photo collection and my copy of ACDsee version 8 to the new one. I
    : tried restoring a backup of my ACDsee database (that was created on
    : the old computer) onto the new computer, but get a message saying the
    : database is not valid. Exporting & importing the database does not
    : work either. Both computers run Windows XP.

    : Given that I have indexed about 6000 photos, I am not particularly
    : happy at the moment!

    : Thanks

    : James

    I dojn't know specifically about ACDSee but I may have an explaination.
    Some similar programs use the computer language "location" to locate the
    originals. Not the text based language that we all see. So even if you
    think you have made an exact copy of your data base from one computer or
    media to another the location will not match. Or another problem may be
    that the program is looking for your images to be on a drive with a
    specific drive ID number (not the drive letter but the manufacturer
    designated number) and when you copied the images from one drive to
    another the drive ID would not match. Thus the program gets confused when
    it looks for the images on a drive number that is not currently connected
    to the computer.

    For future, you might want to think about getting an external drive with
    plenty of room and puting all your images on that one drive. Then when you
    get a new computer you move the drive from the old to the new and the
    drive ID as well as the location on that drive will still exist. The
    program will then be able to match the DB entries with the originals as
    always. The only thing you will have to be sure of is that some programs
    depend on the drive keeping the same drive name (E drive, etc) so you may
    have to make sure the name matches. Also some programs allow you to set
    where the catalog (DB) is stored and if that is also stored on that
    drive you could have everything in one place. In fact if you use this to
    store a catalog on each backup media with the DB for the images only on
    that media, that catalog would always be with the associated images.

    As to what you can do now, I don't know for sure but you might try
    temporarily installing the HD from you old computer into the new one and
    then transfer the images (and data) from the old drive to the new from
    within the catalog program itself (if this is possible). This way the
    program would recognize the new location as a valid location. Of course
    when you are done you could then remove the old drive or just format it to
    use it as a scratch disk (short term, work in progress storage).

    Good luck

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Apr 28, 2007

  3. JAM

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 27 Apr 2007 21:29:53 -0700
    JAM <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to move an ACDsee database from one computer to
    > another?
    >
    > My story is that I have upgraded to a new PC, and have transferred my
    > photo collection and my copy of ACDsee version 8 to the new one. I
    > tried restoring a backup of my ACDsee database (that was created on
    > the old computer) onto the new computer, but get a message saying the
    > database is not valid. Exporting & importing the database does not
    > work either. Both computers run Windows XP.
    >
    > Given that I have indexed about 6000 photos, I am not particularly
    > happy at the moment!

    This sounds like a question for the vendor's technical support people.
    My guess would be that ACDsee needs something beyond just the database
    in order to recognize it as "valid". Perhaps it stashes some secret
    key in the registry when the database is created, or some similar
    brain-damage?

    It's also an object lesson in the risks of using proprietary file
    formats, but that's a topic for another thread.

    Good luck!

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 28, 2007
  4. JAM

    Mark Guest

    "JAM" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to move an ACDsee database from one computer to
    > another?

    Have you tried asking in their forums?
    http://forums.acdsystems.com/

    Mark, Apr 28, 2007
  5. JAM

    JAM Guest

    On Apr 29, 6:22 am, "Mark" <> wrote:
    > "JAM" <> wrote in message

    > > Does anyone know how to move an ACDsee database from one computer to
    > > another?

    > Have you tried asking in their forums?http://forums.acdsystems.com/

    Mark,
    That was actually the first thing I tried. Couldn't find an
    answer in any existing posts, and my repeated attempts to register so
    I could make a new post all failed.

    I've stopped being an ACDsee fan.

    JAM

    JAM, Apr 29, 2007