transferring a telephone #/ownership of a telephone #

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by hdtv?, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. hdtv?

    hdtv? Guest

    I had a telephone # I used for a small business that had be promoted via
    many snail mailings.
    The telephone# was originally with the local telco for ~ 4 years. Thereafter
    the telephone # was transferred to the first VOiP provider.
    At the end of a year with the first VOiP provider a second VOiP provider was
    contracted based on transferring the telephone #.
    6 months later the telephone # has not transferred, the current provider
    apparently cannot manage the process.

    The telephone # now produces a "not in service" answer. A reverse lookup of
    the telephone number indicates it resides with the Telco and is available.
    A call to the Telco produces no results.

    Who owns the telephone #? As the customer service reps (when I can actually
    contact them and speak to them ...) have been of no assistance,
    besides the management of the various companies who could assist in the
    transfer of this telephone #.

    Before I receive the expected response - I have always dealt in a respectful
    and professional manner with the customer service reps - but I always
    indicate I need a workable solution to the problem.
    hdtv?, Oct 18, 2006

  2. hdtv?

    Rick Merrill Guest

    hdtv? wrote:
    > I had a telephone # I used for a small business that had be promoted via
    > many snail mailings.
    > The telephone# was originally with the local telco for ~ 4 years. Thereafter
    > the telephone # was transferred to the first VOiP provider.
    > At the end of a year with the first VOiP provider a second VOiP provider was
    > contracted based on transferring the telephone #.
    > 6 months later the telephone # has not transferred, the current provider
    > apparently cannot manage the process.
    >
    > The telephone # now produces a "not in service" answer. A reverse lookup of
    > the telephone number indicates it resides with the Telco and is available.
    > A call to the Telco produces no results.
    >
    > Who owns the telephone #? As the customer service reps (when I can actually
    > contact them and speak to them ...) have been of no assistance,
    > besides the management of the various companies who could assist in the
    > transfer of this telephone #.
    >
    > Before I receive the expected response - I have always dealt in a respectful
    > and professional manner with the customer service reps - but I always
    > indicate I need a workable solution to the problem.

    The number is 'managed' by the local telco. You'll have to go (back) to
    them to get reactivated. After some time I suppose they'll give it to
    someone else. This happened to me - long story.

    The telcos must have agreements in place with the local / current
    provider to "port" any given number - another long story.
    Rick Merrill, Oct 18, 2006