Transferring a .com domain from a Japanese registrar to our NZ registrar

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
    our NZ registrar.

    I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
    UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):

    http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai

    My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
    registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.

    Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
    wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I
    need.

    Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
    the process needs to be before I get into it!

    Thanks,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Transferring a .com domain from a Japanese registrar to our NZregistrar

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
    > our NZ registrar.
    >
    > I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
    > UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):
    >
    > http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai
    >
    > My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
    > registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
    > wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I
    > need.
    >
    > Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
    > the process needs to be before I get into it!

    A UDAI is NZ specific.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 12, 2008

  3. Alan

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
    >>> our NZ registrar.
    >>>
    >>> I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
    >>> UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai
    >>>
    >>> My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
    >>> registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
    >>> wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I need.
    >>>
    >>> Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
    >>> the process needs to be before I get into it!
    >>>

    >> A UDAI is NZ specific.

    > Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this end.
    > The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should get
    > the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be heaps easier.

    It's not a .jp domain is it?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Collector?NZ wrote:

    >>> A UDAI is NZ specific.

    >> Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this
    >> end.
    >> The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should
    >> get the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be
    >> heaps easier.
    >>

    > It's not a .jp domain is it?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tax is not theft.

    Hi,

    It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.

    Thanks,

    Alan, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Alan

    Alan wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Collector?NZ wrote:

    >>> Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this
    >>> end.
    >>> The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should
    >>> get the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be
    >>> heaps easier.
    >>>

    >> It's not a .jp domain is it?

    > Hi,
    >
    > It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.

    Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the Japanese
    name space managers. I think that you can change it using a 'pull'
    process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain Name manager
    will suffice. I have my web site with a particular hoster, and my DNS
    with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.
    >>

    > Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
    > Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using a
    > 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain
    > Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a particular
    > hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

    Hi Cliff,

    Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted elsewhere
    as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right direction).

    I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are saying I
    just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what is to stop me
    pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that the current owner
    needs to contact their registrar too, or am I missing something?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Nov 14, 2008
  7. Alan

    Alan wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.
    >>>

    >> Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
    >> Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using a
    >> 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain
    >> Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a particular
    >> hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

    > Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted elsewhere
    > as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right direction).
    >
    > I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are saying I
    > just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what is to stop me
    > pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that the current owner
    > needs to contact their registrar too, or am I missing something?

    It's a while since I did it last, but there is a confirmation by email
    process - you request your ISP to take it over, they do so and the
    current registrar gets automatically informed, then they automatically
    send an email to the email address that registered with them in the
    first place, confirming the change.

    Please note that I'm doing this from memory, but I recall it being
    pretty simple.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2008
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
    >>> Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using
    >>> a 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any
    >>> Domain Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a
    >>> particular hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent
    >>> to my NZ ISP.

    >> Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted
    >> elsewhere as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right
    >> direction).
    >>
    >> I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are
    >> saying I just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what
    >> is to stop me pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that
    >> the current owner needs to contact their registrar too, or am I
    >> missing something?
    >>

    > It's a while since I did it last, but there is a confirmation by
    > email process - you request your ISP to take it over, they do so and
    > the current registrar gets automatically informed, then they
    > automatically send an email to the email address that registered
    > with them in the first place, confirming the change.
    >
    > Please note that I'm doing this from memory, but I recall it being
    > pretty simple.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --