    5) On the new computer, "create new macro" and paste them in.

    Will that work?

    , Mar 18, 2005

  2. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am buying a new laptop and I want to transfer my programs to the new
    > laptop with out having to reinstall every program. Is there a utility
    > that will reliably do this? I might be out of luck here, but it's worth
    > a try.
    >
    > Also, I have many macros that I use in MS-Word and Excel. How can I get
    > these from one computer to another?
    > Will this work:
    > 1) Go into the "create new macro" mode
    > 2) Select and copy the macros
    > 3) Paste them into a text file.
    > 4) Move the file to the other computer
    > 5) On the new computer, "create new macro" and paste them in.
    >
    > Will that work?

    Mazdra

    Sorry the best you will get is the Microsoft File and Settings Transfer
    Wizard (type transfer wizard into help)
    But even that only transfers data files not applications (Word etc)

    If I may draw an loose analogy it's like moving homes and asking for a one
    button solution to moving all your possessions and having them all neatly
    installed in the right places just where you want them. It just isn't going
    to happen.

    As for the Macro problem, your suggested solution would appear reasonable,
    but you may get better guidance from some of the Microsoft newsgroups.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Billh Guest

    No analogy needed just buy this program http://www.alohabob.com/

    Billh, Mar 18, 2005
  4. PC Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am buying a new laptop and I want to transfer my programs to the new
    >>>laptop with out having to reinstall every program. Is there a utility
    >>>that will reliably do this? I might be out of luck here, but it's worth
    >>>a try.
    >>>
    >>>Also, I have many macros that I use in MS-Word and Excel. How can I get
    >>>these from one computer to another?
    >>>Will this work:
    >>>1) Go into the "create new macro" mode
    >>>2) Select and copy the macros
    >>>3) Paste them into a text file.
    >>>4) Move the file to the other computer
    >>>5) On the new computer, "create new macro" and paste them in.
    >>>
    >>>Will that work?
    >>>

    >> Mazdra
    >>
    >> Sorry the best you will get is the Microsoft File and Settings Transfer
    >> Wizard (type transfer wizard into help)
    >> But even that only transfers data files not applications (Word etc)
    >>
    >> If I may draw an loose analogy it's like moving homes and asking for a
    >> one button solution to moving all your possessions and having them all
    >> neatly installed in the right places just where you want them. It just
    >> isn't going to happen.
    >>
    >> As for the Macro problem, your suggested solution would appear
    >> reasonable, but you may get better guidance from some of the Microsoft
    >> newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    > No analogy needed just buy this program http://www.alohabob.com/

    Very interesting. Certainly claims to do what the OP wants.
    Have you used it yourself?
    I see there is a 3 day trial version, should be long enough for the OP to
    try it out.

    Paul.

    PC, Mar 18, 2005
  5. PC Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Billh" <> wrote in message
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> Mazdra
    >>>
    >>> Sorry the best you will get is the Microsoft File and Settings Transfer
    >>> Wizard (type transfer wizard into help)
    >>> But even that only transfers data files not applications (Word etc)
    >>>
    >>> If I may draw an loose analogy it's like moving homes and asking for a
    >>> one button solution to moving all your possessions and having them all
    >>> neatly installed in the right places just where you want them. It just
    >>> isn't going to happen.
    >>>
    >>> As for the Macro problem, your suggested solution would appear
    >>> reasonable, but you may get better guidance from some of the Microsoft
    >>> newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Paul.

    >> No analogy needed just buy this program http://www.alohabob.com/

    > Very interesting. Certainly claims to do what the OP wants.
    > Have you used it yourself?
    > I see there is a 3 day trial version, should be long enough for the OP to
    > try it out.
    >
    > Paul.

    mmmmm, from Alohabob's Glossary
    <quote>
    Applications is another term for programs. Remember, when using AlohaBob to
    move applications, not all applications may be transferable. This is
    especially common when moving from an older operating system (Windows 95,
    98, Me) to a newer operating system (Windows 2000, XP).
    </quote>
    Hedging their bets methinks.
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 18, 2005
  6. basho007 Guest

    Billh <> wrote in

    > PC wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am buying a new laptop and I want to transfer my programs to the
    >>>new laptop with out having to reinstall every program. Is there a
    >>>utility that will reliably do this? I might be out of luck here, but
    >>>it's worth a try.
    >>>
    >>>Also, I have many macros that I use in MS-Word and Excel. How can I
    >>>get these from one computer to another?
    >>>Will this work:
    >>>1) Go into the "create new macro" mode
    >>>2) Select and copy the macros
    >>>3) Paste them into a text file.
    >>>4) Move the file to the other computer
    >>>5) On the new computer, "create new macro" and paste them in.
    >>>
    >>>Will that work?
    >>>

    >> Mazdra
    >>
    >> Sorry the best you will get is the Microsoft File and Settings
    >> Transfer Wizard (type transfer wizard into help)
    >> But even that only transfers data files not applications (Word etc)
    >>
    >> If I may draw an loose analogy it's like moving homes and asking for
    >> a one button solution to moving all your possessions and having them
    >> all neatly installed in the right places just where you want them. It
    >> just isn't going to happen.
    >>
    >> As for the Macro problem, your suggested solution would appear
    >> reasonable, but you may get better guidance from some of the
    >> Microsoft newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > No analogy needed just buy this program http://www.alohabob.com/

    find a USB datalink cable - I bought a NewLink brand a few weeks ago -
    very good.Belkin also make one. Each computers file tree come up in
    separate screens and you can drag and drop. Fast too.

    basho007, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Billh Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Billh" <> wrote in message

    >>>No analogy needed just buy this program http://www.alohabob.com/

    >>Very interesting. Certainly claims to do what the OP wants.
    >>Have you used it yourself?
    >>I see there is a 3 day trial version, should be long enough for the OP to
    >>try it out.
    >>
    >>Paul.

    > mmmmm, from Alohabob's Glossary
    > <quote>
    > Applications is another term for programs. Remember, when using AlohaBob to
    > move applications, not all applications may be transferable. This is
    > especially common when moving from an older operating system (Windows 95,
    > 98, Me) to a newer operating system (Windows 2000, XP).
    > </quote>
    > Hedging their bets methinks.
    > Paul.

    I have never used it and had seen the warning. I would not use it my
    self as I would want a nice clean start. But then I am willing to put
    in the time and have the expertise to do it. In fact at work I have do
    it hundreds of times. But for your average user with no skills this
    might be just what they need.

    Billh, Mar 19, 2005
  8. TJ Guest

    Billh <> wrote:

    > PC wrote:
    >> "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Billh" <> wrote in message

    >>> Very interesting. Certainly claims to do what the OP wants.
    >>> Have you used it yourself?
    >>> I see there is a 3 day trial version, should be long enough for the
    >>> OP to try it out.
    >>>
    >>> Paul.

    >> mmmmm, from Alohabob's Glossary
    >> <quote>
    >> Applications is another term for programs. Remember, when using
    >> AlohaBob to move applications, not all applications may be
    >> transferable. This is especially common when moving from an older
    >> operating system (Windows 95, 98, Me) to a newer operating system
    >> (Windows 2000, XP). </quote>
    >> Hedging their bets methinks.
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > I have never used it and had seen the warning. I would not use it my
    > self as I would want a nice clean start. But then I am willing to put
    > in the time and have the expertise to do it. In fact at work I have
    > do it hundreds of times. But for your average user with no skills
    > this might be just what they need.

    Even though I am teh average user with no skilz at work I do the flower
    girl. It's not my fault. I saw her sitting in teh rain with flowers in her
    hair.

    I blame teh Cowsill's.

    And I knew ....

    I forget.

    TJ, Mar 19, 2005
  9. PC Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Billh" <> wrote in message

    >>>Very interesting. Certainly claims to do what the OP wants.
    >>>Have you used it yourself?
    >>>I see there is a 3 day trial version, should be long enough for the OP to
    >>>try it out.
    >>>
    >>>Paul.

    >> mmmmm, from Alohabob's Glossary
    >> <quote>
    >> Applications is another term for programs. Remember, when using AlohaBob
    >> to move applications, not all applications may be transferable. This is
    >> especially common when moving from an older operating system (Windows 95,
    >> 98, Me) to a newer operating system (Windows 2000, XP).
    >> </quote>
    >> Hedging their bets methinks.
    >> Paul.

    > I have never used it and had seen the warning. I would not use it my self
    > as I would want a nice clean start. But then I am willing to put in the
    > time and have the expertise to do it. In fact at work I have do it
    > hundreds of times. But for your average user with no skills this might be
    > just what they need.

    Bill

    "I would want a nice clean start"

    Couldn't agree more.
    Learn't that lesson years ago cloning W9x machines for clients desperate to
    have their new PC's have the same screen layout and programs as the old.
    It's funny how quoting a price that's dearer for 'cloning' suddenly brings
    on the ability to learn new layouts and programs. Or even to (shock horror)
    install programs themselves.

    Paul.

    PC, Mar 19, 2005