    i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be able to
    install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files to the master
    hard drive that has winXP.

    anonymous, Sep 5, 2005

  2. anonymous

    old jon Guest

    "anonymous" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns96C89D424A2A5anonexamplecom@140.99.99.130...
    >I want to transfer files from one hard drive to another.The hard drive i
    > want the files transfered to is master with winXP installed.The hard drive
    > i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be able to
    > install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files to the
    > master
    > hard drive that has winXP.

    Yes.

    old jon, Sep 5, 2005

  3. anonymous

    DB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:27:32 GMT, anonymous <> wrote:

    >I want to transfer files from one hard drive to another.The hard drive i
    >want the files transfered to is master with winXP installed.The hard drive
    >i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be able to
    >install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files to the master
    >hard drive that has winXP.

    Going to have to assume here.

    1) XP is using NTFS
    2) 98 is using FAT32

    XP can read both. 98 can only read FAT32.

    As long as you boot to XP you'll be able to move the files.
    You'd need extra software I think, to be able to move them if you've
    booted into 98.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005
  4. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    DB <> wrote in news::

    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:27:32 GMT, anonymous <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to transfer files from one hard drive to another.The hard drive
    >>i want the files transfered to is master with winXP installed.The hard
    >>drive i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be
    >>able to install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files
    >>to the master hard drive that has winXP.

    > Going to have to assume here.
    >
    > 1) XP is using NTFS
    > 2) 98 is using FAT32
    >
    > XP can read both. 98 can only read FAT32.
    >
    > As long as you boot to XP you'll be able to move the files.
    > You'd need extra software I think, to be able to move them if you've
    > booted into 98.

    The XP HD is NTFS the 98 HD is FAT32 both on primary IDE.When i start the
    pc which OS will boot im hoping XP.

    anonymous, Sep 5, 2005
  5. anonymous

    DB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:03:29 GMT, anonymous <> wrote:

    >DB <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:27:32 GMT, anonymous <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to transfer files from one hard drive to another.The hard drive
    >>>i want the files transfered to is master with winXP installed.The hard
    >>>drive i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be
    >>>able to install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files
    >>>to the master hard drive that has winXP.

    >> Going to have to assume here.
    >>
    >> 1) XP is using NTFS
    >> 2) 98 is using FAT32
    >>
    >> XP can read both. 98 can only read FAT32.
    >>
    >> As long as you boot to XP you'll be able to move the files.
    >> You'd need extra software I think, to be able to move them if you've
    >> booted into 98.
    >>

    >The XP HD is NTFS the 98 HD is FAT32 both on primary IDE.When i start the
    >pc which OS will boot im hoping XP.

    Well, I can't make any promises. But I'd be very surprised if XP
    didn't boot.

    If you installed XP while the 98 drive was connected then you might
    get a boot menu. Otherwise your BIOS will go straight for the first
    drive it sees - which should be the primary drive on that IDE channel.

    Be sure to check the jumpers on the drives when you fit them.

    If you've got the ability to put both on a primary IDE channel then
    that's fine too, if it boots to 98 then shut down and switch the
    cables over.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005
  6. anonymous

    old jon Guest

    "anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > DB <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:27:32 GMT, anonymous <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to transfer files from one hard drive to another.The hard drive
    >>>i want the files transfered to is master with winXP installed.The hard
    >>>drive i want to get the files off of has win98 installed.Would i be
    >>>able to install the hard drive with win98 as slave and transfer files
    >>>to the master hard drive that has winXP.

    >> Going to have to assume here.
    >>
    >> 1) XP is using NTFS
    >> 2) 98 is using FAT32
    >>
    >> XP can read both. 98 can only read FAT32.
    >>
    >> As long as you boot to XP you'll be able to move the files.
    >> You'd need extra software I think, to be able to move them if you've
    >> booted into 98.
    >>

    > The XP HD is NTFS the 98 HD is FAT32 both on primary IDE.When i start the
    > pc which OS will boot im hoping XP.

    You said the `master` drive was XP ( ie. your C: drive). Just plug the leads
    into the 98 drive, with it set to slave and boot into XP. You`ll be fine,
    `cos XP will find your 98.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Sep 5, 2005
  7. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in

    > "anonymous" <> wrote in message
    >> DB <> wrote in

    >>> Going to have to assume here.
    >>>
    >>> 1) XP is using NTFS
    >>> 2) 98 is using FAT32
    >>>
    >>> XP can read both. 98 can only read FAT32.
    >>>
    >>> As long as you boot to XP you'll be able to move the files.
    >>> You'd need extra software I think, to be able to move them if you've
    >>> booted into 98.
    >>>

    >> The XP HD is NTFS the 98 HD is FAT32 both on primary IDE.When i start
    >> the pc which OS will boot im hoping XP.
    >>

    > You said the `master` drive was XP ( ie. your C: drive). Just plug the
    > leads into the 98 drive, with it set to slave and boot into XP. You`ll
    > be fine, `cos XP will find your 98.
    > best wishes..OJ

    Thanks everyone for the help i will try it and see what happens.

    anonymous, Sep 5, 2005
  8. anonymous

    Ron Martell Guest

    anonymous <> wrote:

    >The XP HD is NTFS the 98 HD is FAT32 both on primary IDE.When i start the
    >pc which OS will boot im hoping XP.

    I find that it works much better to put the two drives onto different
    IDE channels.

    Leave the XP drive as it is.
    Unplug the data cable and power lead from the CDROM drive(s) in the XP
    computer and use these to temporarily connect up the Windows 98 drive.

    This avoids two areas of possible complications:

    1. Some makes of hard drive use a different jumper setting for "Stand
    alone master drive" and for "master drive with slave connected". If
    you connect a slave drive with the other drive jumpered as "stand
    alone master drive" things will not work.

    2. There can be compatibility issues when drives of different
    vintages and makes are connected as master and slave on the same IDE
    channel. I encountered this recently where a user was trying to use a
    new Maxtor drive and a 6 or 7 year old Western Digital drive as master
    and slave. Both worked flawlessly on their own, and they both passed
    the factory diagnostic tests without a hitch. But they just would not
    work properly when connected as master and slave on the same IDE
    channel.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --