    had many transfer failures. Any other ideas?? I have about 5 gigs to
    transfer. Any help\advice is of course greatly appreciated!!

    RBS
    newenglander, Oct 7, 2004

  2. newenglander

    Thor Guest

    "newenglander" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Trying to figure out the best way to transfer files from my old PC
    > (Gateway G6450) to my new PC (Dell Dimension 8400). Is there an easy
    > way of doing this?? A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea
    > to use "Hotline Server" to transfer the files, but this failed as the
    > speed was comparable to that of a 2400 baud telephone connection, and
    > had many transfer failures. Any other ideas?? I have about 5 gigs to
    > transfer. Any help\advice is of course greatly appreciated!!
    >
    > RBS

    Remove the harddrive (very carefully) from the old computer, and open the
    case on the new one, and then disconnect the data and power cables from the
    top CD/DVD drive (typically the master drive) in your new computer, and
    connect your old harddrive to those cables instead, paying attention to the
    red stripe on one side of the data cable, to orient it the same way it was
    on the CD/DVD drive (towards the power connector). Make sure the harddrive
    is sitting on something stable, and that it cannot fall off or bang against
    something inadvertently. Fire up your new machine, and the drive should show
    up in "my computer". It will not be designated "C:" drive because that is
    the letter designated for the drive inyour new machine, But, it may be
    designated "D:" or "E:" or maybe even "F:" depending on your configruation.
    Locate and copy your files from the old drive, to the C: drive. Usually best
    to create a new folder on C: and drag-n-drop the stuff from your old drive
    into that folder. When finished, shut the system down, disconnect the old
    drive, and reconnect your CD/DVD drive cables, pop the case cover back on,
    and you are back to normal, with the files transferred.
    Thor, Oct 7, 2004

  3. newenglander

    Jerry G. Guest

    The easiest way is to network the two machines back to back with a
    peer-to-peer cable. After the networking is setup, set the drives to be
    shared, and you can then copy at very high speed from one machine to the
    other. Infact, you can set the two machines up back to back to work as
    one bigger virtual machine!

    You can put a router between them, and use standard patch cables. Then
    on the WAN of the router, you can put in a high speed modem. Now you
    will have a small network with high speed internet on both machines.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Oct 7, 2004