    takes for ever to respond to any command! Is this a problem or is it normal
    as well? I am sorry if these are basic if not stupid questions! Thank you
    very much.
    Mac, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Mac

    DanR Guest

    Many things affect the quality of the wireless connection between the computers
    and the wireless AP. At best you will get about half the rated speed of the
    router moving data from one computer to another in the infrastructure mode. You
    need to check the wireless connection of each computer to / from the router.
    WinXP is very limited in telling you the quality of the signal. (signal strength
    / noise / etc) There are other utilities that will show you these figures.
    Possibly utilities that came with your D-Link product but which you don't use
    because WinXP doesn't require them. So you may have to overcome signal quality
    issues. They arise from computer to router distance. Types of walls or other
    structures that the signal must pass through and reflection issues.
    And there are the antennas to think about. What type are they and might they be
    in a wire cluttered area. Try doing your 1GB xfer with both computers and the
    wireless router / AP in the same room very near each other and see if things
    improve. That might tell you if you are having signal to machine problems when
    they are in their normal locations.
    I didn't do the math to see what 1GB xfer in 20 minutes is in bytes / bits per
    second. Did you?
    Computers slow down when they are working hard at one task. Depends on the
    horsepower of you laptop and what all is running in the background.

    DanR, Aug 25, 2005

  3. In a perfect world a 1GigaByte file will take ~ 2 minutes 28 seconds to
    transfer over a 54Megabit connection. (1,000,000,000 bytes x 8 =
    8,000,000,000 bits; 8,000,000,000 bits / 54,000,000 bits = 148.148 seconds.)
    If you calculate that your AVERAGE speed is closer to half the theoretical
    speed you get 307.692 seconds or 5 minutes 7 seconds. So, based on your time
    of 15 minutes to transfer 1GigaByte would work out to 8,888,888.889 bits per
    second or 8.89Mbits/second which would lead me to believe that your wireless
    card in your laptop is 802.11b (11Mbit theoretical or about 5.5Mbit average).
    If that is true, your average of 8.89Mbit/second is actually pretty good
    under most circumstances. If you want more bandwidth you would have to
    upgrade your laptop to 802.11g. Your router is capable of 54Mbit/second but
    I think your laptop is running 11Mbit/second.

    --
    Nill

    =?Utf-8?B?TmlsbA==?=, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Mac

    Lisa Guest

    Thanks,

    I just wanted to know what is the norms! When I do such transfers, The 2
    computers are always next to each other!

    Lisa, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Mac

    Lisa Guest

    Thanks Nill,

    My laptop actually have 802.11g! That is why I was concerned about the
    transfer speed. Any thought why the Laptop slows down during the transfer
    or is this normal too? I have a P4, 3 GHZ, 1GB system with windows XP pro!

    Lisa, Aug 26, 2005