Transfering Files from Mac 9 to 10

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ron Hawker, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Ron Hawker

    Ron Hawker Guest

    Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
    And a new eMac running OS X 10.4

    Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
    cable.

    I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
    my windows pc to the 10.4

    No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
    Ive tried apple talk and tcip

    I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
    work

    Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
    way.

    Thanks
    Dane

    Ron Hawker, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Ron Hawker

    thing Guest

    Ron Hawker wrote:
    > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
    > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
    >
    > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
    > my windows pc to the 10.4
    >
    > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
    > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
    >
    > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
    > work
    >
    > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
    > way.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dane

    The speed negoitiation on iMacs is crap (TM).

    I have a 500Mhz one and in 9.2.2 its 10 half and in 10.3 its 100 half,
    those are my only options....full duplex does not work, neither does
    speed negoitiation......so I have a hub for when I want 9.2 and a 100
    switch when I want 10.3 and swap the cable as neither will work on the
    others network hardware! ffs and this is a good OS?

    So your connection issue is almost certainly that of speed followed by
    duplex mode. You could transfer to the pc from 9.2 then from the pc to
    10.4.......

    A Firewire network I think needs ethernet over firewire....I dont know
    if 9.2.2 will do that I assume 10.x will.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Ron Hawker

    binky Guest

    Ron Hawker wrote:

    > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
    > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
    >
    > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
    > my windows pc to the 10.4
    >
    > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
    > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
    >
    > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
    > work
    >
    > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
    > way.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dane

    If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
    reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
    come up in a screensaver-like mode).

    The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.

    Now copy the whole drive (you don´t want to go back and do all this again
    later) onto a suitable location on the new eMac, e.g into the /Users/Shared
    directory

    When you´ve finished, unmount the old iMac from the eMac desktop and power
    it off with the front button

    hth
    --
    john in sydney
    Mandrake Linux 10.1, Kernel version: 2.6.10-1.mm.21john

    binky, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Ron Hawker

    Ron Hawker Guest

    binky <> wrote:

    > Ron Hawker wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
    > > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
    > >
    > > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
    > > cable.
    > >
    > > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
    > > my windows pc to the 10.4
    > >
    > > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
    > > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
    > >
    > > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
    > > work
    > >
    > > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
    > > way.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Dane

    > If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
    > reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
    > come up in a screensaver-like mode).
    >
    > The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.
    >
    > Now copy the whole drive (you don´t want to go back and do all this again
    > later) onto a suitable location on the new eMac, e.g into the /Users/Shared
    > directory
    >
    > When you´ve finished, unmount the old iMac from the eMac desktop and power
    > it off with the front button
    >
    > hth

    Will go to dick smiths and get one, thanks

    Ron Hawker, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Ron Hawker

    scott Guest

    re FireWire:
    If you follow the instructions sent in another reply for starting the
    iMac in FireWire Target mode it will behave like an external firewire
    hard disk. You don't need any networking protocols at all.

    Scott

    scott, Jun 25, 2005
  6. Ron Hawker

    David Preece Guest

    binky wrote:
    > If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
    > reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
    > come up in a screensaver-like mode).
    >
    > The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.

    Another vote for this being the smart (easy) way to do it :)

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 25, 2005
  7. In <1gypmoz.gfdo5z1jdoe68N%> Ron Hawker wrote:

    > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
    > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
    >
    > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
    > my windows pc to the 10.4
    >
    > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
    > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
    >
    > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
    > work
    >
    > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try
    > that way.

    Some info here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461#sec4

    The likely problem is the fact that 10.4 has dropped support for
    filesharing over an AppleTalk network. It still supports AppleTalk for
    browsing the network, but the actual filesharing only works over TCP/IP.

    Mac OS 9 works with either AppleTalk or TCP/IP, but by default TCP/IP is
    turned off for file serving. Open the File Sharing control panel and
    make sure the option "enable file sharing clients to connect over TCP/
    IP" is turned on.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 25, 2005
  8. Re: Transfering Files from Mac 9 to X

    In article <>, thing <> wrote:

    >The speed negoitiation on iMacs is crap (TM).

    Based on the problems I've seen, I'd have to agree.

    >I have a 500Mhz one and in 9.2.2 its 10 half and in 10.3 its 100 half,
    >those are my only options....full duplex does not work, neither does
    >speed negoitiation.....

    I have heard that speed negotiation is generally problematic anyway. Did
    you try Apple's Duplexer Tool to change your settings?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2005
  9. Ron Hawker

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I have OS X 10.3 and OS 9.1 talking over Appletalk. You just need to
    find all the 'hidden' settings. I won't attempt to detail off the steps
    needed to make it work.

    Bob McLellan, Jun 27, 2005