Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve H, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Steve H

    Steve H Guest

    To All:

    I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
    laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
    Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
    use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.

    Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
    defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
    powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
    compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
    Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
    installed).

    So the questions are:

    1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
    Explorer to transfer the files?

    2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously
    created stored on the laptop?

    Thank you,

    Steve

    Steve H, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Steve H:

    I must assume it's the same for WinXP as it is for Win98se.

    Yes. Kodak EasyShare software can be a PITA. Besides image transfers
    from a Kodak digital camera it will launch itself for any kind of CD
    whether it be a game, music, etc. looking for a Kodak Picture CD.

    Here's how I disabled it.

    1) Go to Start button ... Run ... type msconfig.exe ... startup tab
    .... uncheck Kodak Easyshare software.

    "C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe" -h
    is the culprit that loads the software into the taskbar tray. Note: In
    the MsConfig system tool that path will show in DOS 8.3 format.

    After reboot on my Win98se box a "Disabled Startup Items" folder is
    created. From there I can run the EasyShare software at will only when
    I want to transfer photos from my camera.

    2) C:\Program files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\Catalog.

    By deleting the 4 files found the catalogs can be cleaned out and
    rebuilt by hand. That's what I'm goping to do from now on after
    checking into your question. After burning a CD it's another PITA
    removing old catalog entries one by one from within the Easyshare
    interface. No select all / remove all albums. Grrr.

    The 4 files are:

    2 catalogs ... EasyShare.me & EasyShare.mm

    2 backup files ... ESBK.mb & ESBK.mbb

    Copy all to a temp folder or rename files [ ie: ESBK.mbb_ ] to see if
    it works okay for you before cleaning it out.

    The only reason Kodak Easyshare lives over here is because it is
    handier leaving the SD memory card in the camera rather than using my
    SanDisk SD card reader and I can get at my DX7440's 32 Mbs of internal
    memory.

    Once I upgrade to WinXP 64-bit it's outta here forever.

    ACDSee has been my software of choice for years to manage my image
    files and oftentimes as a Windows Explorer file manager replacement.

    Last: Spybot Search & Destroy helped me get rid of their Backweb crap
    installed behind my back without my permission. I don't need any more
    garbage running in the background than necessary just to notify me of
    new software updates that are far and few between.

    Hope this helps,

    Hap

    Hap Shaughnessy, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Steve H

    Steve H Guest

    Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
    >>laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
    >>Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
    >>use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.
    >>
    >>Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
    >>defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
    >>powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
    >>compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
    >>Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
    >>installed).
    >>
    >>So the questions are:
    >>
    >>1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
    >>Explorer to transfer the files?
    >>
    >>2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously

    Hap:

    Thanks for the info.

    I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
    we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
    like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.

    Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

    On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
    usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
    copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
    cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
    for reviewing the files.

    So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve H, Jan 12, 2005
  4. "Steve H" <> wrote in message

    SNIP

    > Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

    Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
    have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!

    Gerrit - Oz

    Gerrit 't Hart, Jan 12, 2005
  5. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:28:59 -0700, Steve H <>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>>created stored on the laptop?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you,
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    >Hap:
    >
    >Thanks for the info.
    >
    >I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
    >we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
    >like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.
    >
    >Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
    >
    >On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
    >usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
    >copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
    >cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
    >for reviewing the files.
    >
    >So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

    There are current threads discussing the pros and cons of Backweb. A
    google search will find more info and how to get rid of it.

    Right now I'm not absolutely sure if the Spybot Search & Destroy
    freebie ripped it off my system or if I did it by hand.

    I gassed it because I was not asked if I wanted it installed. I wasn't
    aware of it until it ran into Sygate's freebie firewall that I use in
    conjunction with a router. I'm of the old school and don't trust
    anybody even if they have the best intentions when it comes to my
    Internet security. Auto updaters and such are not allowed on this box.

    Backweb may be useful for some and from what I've read it is harmless
    and used as an updater by many vendors.

    Kodak Easyshare is designed as the name suggests for consumers that
    either don't have the computer skills or time to learn more advanced
    software.

    Many users really like it. It is simple and appears to be better than
    some of the software bundled by other digicam makers.

    I'll give it a 6 out of 10 rating and as bundled software it isn't all
    that shabby. I guess. LOL.

    Hap

    PS: Ron Baird of Kodak if you read this, once again please pass on
    that many users would appreciate a Superfine JPEG compression setting.

    A new request.

    Resetting the self-timer via the menu for every shot is very time
    consuming and especially awkward when setting up tripod shots with the
    camera held in the vertical for portrait orientated photos. A firmware
    update to change that to remain either on or off until reset would be
    great. Thanks for all of your support in rec.photo.digital. ---end of
    babble.

    Hap Shaughnessy, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Steve H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve H wrote:
> [...]
    >>> previously created stored on the laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    > Hap:
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
    > we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
    > like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.
    >
    > Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
    >
    > On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
    > usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
    > copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
    > cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
    > for reviewing the files.
    >
    > So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

    Bad? As a picture transfer and cataloging program, it is mediocre at
    best. As a tool for computer illerates who want to push one button and
    have their images transferred from the camera to the computer, it is
    great. It seems the major complaint is from users who have moderate to
    expert knowledge of computing, and don't want the overhead, and
    interference with their usual operating procedures. For anyone with
    more than novice computer experience, I would recommend NOT installing
    Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for those using
    computers with Windows Me and earlier.

    I don't imply that Kodak is trying to do anything other than serve their
    customers as well as they can, which is evidenced by their
    representatives who regularly participate in this newsgroup, but Backweb
    is probably the wrong tool for the purpose.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2005
  7. Steve H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > "Steve H" <> wrote in message
    >
    > SNIP
    >

    >>Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

    > Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
    > have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!
    >
    > Gerrit - Oz

    Quite true, and the cameras with docks will still work to recharge the
    camera, even if not connected to the USB interface....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2005
  8. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    SNIP
    > For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
    > NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
    > those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.

    My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
    even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Steve H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    > SNIP
    >
    >>For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
    >>NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
    >>those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.
    >>

    > My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
    > even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.
    >
    > Gerrit

    True, only needed if you want to connect the camera to the computer.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Steve H

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Hap,

    I will pass along your thoughts, as Kodak appreciates them.

    Just a note to let you know that when you install EasyShare Software, you
    are given the choice of installing the Kodak Updater or not! You are also
    given the choice of using EasyShare as the default for common image related
    file types.

    The program is not designed for those that are novice users, but as a
    program that will catalog and manage your images. It is an excellent
    program for this and it offers a lot of other features. Most of the
    programs that are out there that cost you upwards of $50 or more do much the
    same thing as the free Kodak EasyShare Software.

    Also, please know that the Kodak Updater that uses Backweb, quite safe. It
    is sometimes detected as SpyWare, or similar programs, by a virus detection
    program detecting an auto updater program. These programs scan the computer
    for latest installed components. Backweb is actually used by several auto
    notification programs including Microsoft, Symantec, and others. Please
    reference the following Web site to learn more about the Kodak Updater
    technology.

    http://www.backweb.com/services/technical

    If you do not want it, you can eliminate it by selecting
    Start/Programs/Kodak/Kodak EasyShare/Kodak Updater and select the disable
    offering.

    The Kodak Updater can also be uninstalled from the system by:

    1. Opening the Control Panel.
    2. Double left click Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.
    4. Restart the computer.

    Note: The program often does not appear in Add/Remove Programs, and may only
    be uninstallable by re-running setup for the program that installed it. You
    will see a selection of Modify, Repair, or Remove. Just follow the prompts
    to remove that feature.

    Essentially, the Kodak Updater looks for updates and when it finds one, it
    downloads it to your system when you are not actively engaged in some
    activity (the part noted by spyware detection). No different than the
    updating of virus updates or OS updates. Same thing.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 12, 2005
  11. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:35:46 -0500, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings Hap,
    >
    >I will pass along your thoughts, as Kodak appreciates them.
    >
    >Just a note to let you know that when you install EasyShare Software, you
    >are given the choice of installing the Kodak Updater or not! You are also
    >given the choice of using EasyShare as the default for common image related
    >file types.

    ---cut---

    Thanks Ron for a very informative reply that will answer quite a few
    Easyshare and Backweb questions I have read in here lately.

    >3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.

    Too simple. Love it. My ignorance. Please accept my apology suggesting
    that Backweb is hard to get rid of.

    & passing along the self-timer resetting itself for every shot
    annoyance is greatly appreciated. It's a very small detail that will
    make my Kodak camera use easier if I can set it to stay on or off.

    Your the man.

    Hap

    Hap Shaughnessy, Jan 12, 2005
  12. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:29:50 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" <>
    wrote:

    >"Steve H" <> wrote in message
    >
    >SNIP
    >
    >> Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

    >Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
    >have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!
    >
    >Gerrit - Oz

    So far I find that leaving a SD card in the camera is more convenient
    than using my SanDisk reader. I'm running a Win98se box with limited
    USB connects that includes a 4-port hub [full]. It will soon be time
    to system upgrade and I may change my mind. However, with easy to
    access USB ports on the front of many of todays computer cases I may
    use the camera's USB port or the Sandisk card reader depending on my
    needs.

    Easyshare can access a Kodak camera's internal memory without a lot of
    fancy dancing as some have suggested. ie: Transfer pics in camera from
    the internal memory to an empty memory card. The extra 32 Mbs of
    internal memory on my DX7440 has come in handy on a few occasions.

    Yes, another 256 Mbs of memory would solve that. But I'm still trying
    to figure out if another Kingston Elite Pro Hi-Speed SD card makes
    sense for this 4MP camera or if a regular card would work just as
    fast. See: Re: Flash memory speed??? Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:21:51 -0500,
    Hap Shaughnessy. Any further information than already given would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Easyshare's Print at Home feature does a better job setting up 2 -
    5"x7" photos per 8½"x11" page than I can do in Corel. Very simple and
    fast. Easyshare self-orients photos to landscape or portrait. Cute.

    Note: 5"x7" images need to be cropped using a 7:5 ratio and added to
    an album to ensure that the tops of photos aren't cut off. No
    Easyshare crop from the top / middle / bottom setting. I have sent in
    that suggestion.

    However, the 3:2 ratio for 4x6's photos may be okay. Unknown. Never
    liked that size photo. Never will. However, they are cheaper to send
    out for processing than printing at home.

    Therefore the Easyshare print feature alone is worth the small amount
    of hard drive space for the install. I'm very pleased with all 5x7's
    and 8x10's printed on Kodak Premium glossy paper on this old HP 932c
    using HP ink only. I recently found Kodak Ultima paper in a 2 for the
    price of 1 sale and I know it become my paper of choice.

    Once I get around to buying a DVD player to view fave photos on my TV
    I'll be all set.

    Hap

    Hap Shaughnessy, Jan 12, 2005