    --

    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Martin ©¿©¬  @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

    old man Guest

    How do you propose to access the external drive from a sys with no o/s?
    You used the correct switches in xxcopy?

    old man, Jul 19, 2006

  3. Martin ©¿©¬  @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm using xxcopy to back-up my C drive to an external USB hdd
    > I intend to get a new tower
    > What would be the xxcopy command to transfer my USB back-up to my new
    > tower's C drive?

    I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
    Transfer Wizard. Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.
    Run the wizard on the old machine, telling the program to save the data to a
    folder on the external drive. Get the new tower set up just enough to run
    the wizard on it (SAME version as the first computer). Point it at the
    folder on the external drive where the data was saved. All your email,
    address books, My Documents, music, pictures, favorites, desktop settings
    (except icon placment) etc. ALL transfer slick as willy's you-know-what.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2006
  4. On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:26:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
    >Transfer Wizard.

    Hi Toolman
    Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?

    >Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.

    Which cd are u referring to?

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Martin ©¿©¬  @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:26:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
    >> Transfer Wizard.

    > Hi Toolman
    > Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?
    >
    >> Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.

    > Which cd are u referring to?

    It's on the Windows XP setup CD. Put it in while the system is running, and
    read the menu - it's under "Perform additional tasks" then "Transfer files
    and settings".

    Or, if BOTH systems have SP2 (or both SP1), you can also get to the FAST
    wizard from Start / All programs / Accessories / System Tools.

    The reason I emphasize use the SAME CD both times is because the wizard is
    not compatible between RTM/SP1/SP2 versions of XP. I once did a fella's
    computer with SP1, then tried to load it into his new system (which was
    SP2), and the SP2 wizard wouldn't read the SP1 data file.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2006
  6. On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:54:30 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >> Hi Toolman
    >> Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?
    >>> Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.

    >> Which cd are u referring to?

    >It's on the Windows XP setup CD. Put it in while the system is running, and
    >read the menu - it's under "Perform additional tasks" then "Transfer files
    >and settings".
    >Or, if BOTH systems have SP2 (or both SP1), you can also get to the FAST
    >wizard from Start / All programs / Accessories / System Tools.
    >The reason I emphasize use the SAME CD both times is because the wizard is
    >not compatible between RTM/SP1/SP2 versions of XP. I once did a fella's
    >computer with SP1, then tried to load it into his new system (which was
    >SP2), and the SP2 wizard wouldn't read the SP1 data file.

    Thank you Toolman for your help
    Working now creating Img.dat Video CD Movie files

    --

    Regards
    Martin

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com, Jul 21, 2006