    the card readers........my CD burner is on drive E. Checked some of the
    other computers on the shelf and they were the same....The on floor computer
    guy was stumped also.....Can anyone help with this one?

    Fido, May 6, 2005

  2. Fido

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The wizard only supports copying old files and settings via: 3.5 inch disks
    or other removable media, a direct cable connection from your old computer
    to your new computer, or a drive on a home network.

    pcbutts1, May 6, 2005

  3. Fido

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Nobody else is helping because I gave you a correct answer, which came
    directly from Microsoft. Your internal CDrom drive is NOT removable media.

    Well, what's CD-R if it's not "removable media".......?Can anybody else help
    here? I'm not using the disk to transfer data ....I'm using it to transfer
    a copy of the "transfer wizard" to the old machine so that I can link
    them.......

    pcbutts1, May 7, 2005
  4. Fido

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes you did - too bad the OP is a bit confused. Writing to a CD requires
    using the CD burning software, either the software built into Windows XP, or
    the OEM software provided by the CD writer manufacturer, etc.

    What the guy could do is find an original XP installation CD and run
    "fastwiz.exe" from that. Or he could put it on a floppy disk if the machine
    has one. Or if he has a memory card, he could put it on one of those card
    readers and then burn it to the CD-R. So many options...<g>

    Toolman Tim, May 7, 2005