    stores around here supply the right kind of transfer cable. Can I
    simply do a total back-up of existing computer, then restore to the
    new one?

    wryguy, Dec 5, 2007

  2. wryguy

    Rôgêr Guest

    wryguy wrote:
    > Current computer uses XSsp2. New computer will be Vista based. No
    > stores around here supply the right kind of transfer cable. Can I
    > simply do a total back-up of existing computer, then restore to the
    > new one?

    That would be a bad idea. Are you sure you can't burn some CDRs or DVDs?
    Do both computers have network ports? If so, you can pick up a crossover
    cable from any computer shop. What about flash drives, got any? Or just
    take the hard drive out of the old one, hook it up as a slave in the new
    computer long enough to copy over what files you want.

    Rôgêr, Dec 5, 2007

  3. wryguy wrote:

    > Current computer uses XSsp2. New computer will be Vista based.

    My condolences.

    > No stores around here supply the right kind of transfer cable. Can I
    > simply do a total back-up of existing computer, then restore to the
    > new one?

    Yes, but then your new computer would have XP.
    (Hey... that's a good idea!)

    Got any writable CDs? Copy only your data files.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 5, 2007
  4. wryguy

    richard Guest

    wryguy wrote:
    > Current computer uses XSsp2. New computer will be Vista based. No
    > stores around here supply the right kind of transfer cable. Can I
    > simply do a total back-up of existing computer, then restore to the
    > new one?

    You could order a cross over patch cable off the internet.

    1) use USB flash drives. Dirt cheap for 2gigs.
    2) CDRs if you must.
    3) wifi both machines.
    4) remove the old drive, install in a usb case. Use for backup.

    richard, Dec 6, 2007