    If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

    Thanks very much for any comments.

    Regards - JW

    John Wright, Aug 24, 2004

  2. John Wright

    Jim Guest

    You need USB 2.0.
    Jim
    "John Wright" <> wrote in message news:412b545b$0$9811$...
    How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.

    Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed? Can Canon A-95 benefit from Sandisk Ultra II card?

    Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the others?

    Jim, Aug 24, 2004

  3. John Wright

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jim asks:

    > How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a =
    >camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it =
    >depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on =
    >buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need =
    >a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster =
    >cards.

    Get a card reader. Best under 20 bucks accessory you'll find.

    Charlie Self
    "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
    Devil's Dictionary

    Charlie Self, Aug 24, 2004
  4. John Wright

    Matt Ion Guest

    I picked up a Belkin "universal" card reader...only USB 1.1, but it still
    transfers off my 300D's 512MB CF card (Lexar "High-Speed 16X with Write
    Acceleration technology") twice as fast as transferring direct off the
    camera.

    USB 2.0, which supports up to 480Mbit/sec transfer rate, is probably
    recommended for future considerations, but most current technologies won't
    see a significant improvement over USB 1.1, which is rated 12Mbit/sec; the
    16X card, for example, is rated 2.4MByte/sec, or 19.2Mbit/sec ("1X" is
    defined as 150kByte/sec). Fortunately USB 2.0 add-on cards are cheap (if
    your machine doesn't have 2.0 built-in - around $30-$40), and there's no
    significant price difference between 1.1 and 2.0 card readers.

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 24, 2004
  5. John Wright

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <412b545b$0$9811$>,
    "John Wright" <> wrote:

    > How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera
    > with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1?

    Probably about 10 minutes. (give or take a bit)

    > Does it depend on
    > the camera make/model? On memory card make?

    No, the lousy speed comes from USB1.
    USB2 or Firewire will be much faster, when using this, card-speed
    becomes the limiting factor.
    40x speed is about 6MB/sec (512 card: 2 minutes)
    check card specs carefully, most are slower when writing (in camera)
    than when reading. (transfer to computer).

    >I am planning on buying a Canon
    > A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for
    > the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.
    >
    > Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed?

    Not with USB 1.

    > Can Canon A-95 benefit
    > from Sandisk Ultra II card?

    Don't know, maybe it can write faster than a cheapo card can handle, but
    probably not, as not even the 1Ds can use the Ultra2 speed.

    (but of course you could maybe use the speed of the card in a future
    faster camera, only when that camera arrives, a new 80x 512Mb card will
    cost 1/4 of what it costs now...)

    > Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the
    > others?

    Manufacturers try hard to make you believe that, but I am not convinced
    that there are huge differences, apart from the speed of really fast
    cards. (Sandisk Extreme/Ultra2, Lexar 80x) There are very affordable
    cards that read at 40x speed (about 6MB/sec). I doubt there is ANY
    difference in reliability.

    > If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility
    > that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC
    > may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

    From what I hear is that switching off the camera while the camera is
    still *writing*, is cause nr.1 of corrupt data/cards. If this happens
    (either due to flat battery or mistake) when *reading* data from the
    camera, I don't think it is harmful...

    ;-)
    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Aug 24, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > > Can Canon A-95 benefit
    > > from Sandisk Ultra II card?

    > Don't know, maybe it can write faster than a cheapo card can handle, but
    > probably not, as not even the 1Ds can use the Ultra2 speed.

    The 1Ds is two years old. It predates a lot of the speed improvements
    made to memory cards.

    > > If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility
    > > that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC
    > > may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

    > From what I hear is that switching off the camera while the camera is
    > still *writing*, is cause nr.1 of corrupt data/cards. If this happens
    > (either due to flat battery or mistake) when *reading* data from the
    > camera, I don't think it is harmful...

    Most cameras these days continue writing data even when the power is
    turned off.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 24, 2004
  7. John Wright

    John Wright Guest

    Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated.

    If USB 1.1 takes 10 minutes and USB 2.0 takes 2 minutes to transfer 512MB, I
    can't see a significant benefit in USB 2.0. How often does one (not
    professional photographer) need to transfer data from camera to a PC or
    Printer? Perhaps once, twice a month? Can't wait that extra 8 minutes? Life
    is not that fast for me yet, luckily.

    - JW

    John Wright, Aug 25, 2004