    stores also shows the stick as empty, only the pc show the images are
    on the stick, i've tried it with more than one stick so i dont think
    the memory stick is damaged. can anyone advise, regards, chris.
    chris, Nov 7, 2006

  2. chris

    just bob Guest

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hi, i have a sony cyber-shot dsc p200, i can load photos from the
    > camera to my pc but when i try to put the photos back onto the memory
    > stick ( via usb memory stick adaptor or card reader) the camera reads
    > the stick as empty, i've tried the stick in the photo machines in local
    > stores also shows the stick as empty, only the pc show the images are
    > on the stick, i've tried it with more than one stick so i dont think
    > the memory stick is damaged. can anyone advise, regards, chris.

    Sounds like you need to figure out the format the camera uses for files and
    folders and use that exact format. If the files are modified or not from
    this camera they may not work at all.
    just bob, Nov 7, 2006

  3. chris

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I have a Sony, not your model, and I had the problem. Format a memory stick
    in the camera, take ONE shot with it and then try to upload your photos back
    into the memory stick in the same directory the one shot is in. You can
    delete that one shot later. I don't know why this works but it does for me.

    Ed Mullikin, Nov 7, 2006
  4. chris wrote:
    > hi, i have a sony cyber-shot dsc p200, i can load photos from the
    > camera to my pc but when i try to put the photos back onto the memory
    > stick ( via usb memory stick adaptor or card reader) the camera reads
    > the stick as empty, i've tried the stick in the photo machines in
    > local stores also shows the stick as empty, only the pc show the
    > images are on the stick, i've tried it with more than one stick so i
    > dont think the memory stick is damaged. can anyone advise, regards,
    > chris.

    Chris,

    For some cameras, my TVwriter program will allow you to write edited files
    back onto the memory stick so that you can make a slide-show using the
    camera. There is an evaluation version here for you to try:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2006
  5. chris

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "chris" <> wrote:

    > hi, i have a sony cyber-shot dsc p200, i can load photos from the
    > camera to my pc but when i try to put the photos back onto the memory
    > stick ( via usb memory stick adaptor or card reader) the camera reads
    > the stick as empty, i've tried the stick in the photo machines in local
    > stores also shows the stick as empty, only the pc show the images are
    > on the stick, i've tried it with more than one stick so i dont think
    > the memory stick is damaged. can anyone advise, regards, chris.

    It is possible to use flash memory for storage but usually via a card
    reader. Also you won't be able to use the cameras monitor to view the
    pictures - most cameras are very sensitive about what they'll display.
    Stewy, Nov 10, 2006
  6. chris <> wrote:
    : hi, i have a sony cyber-shot dsc p200, i can load photos from the
    : camera to my pc but when i try to put the photos back onto the memory
    : stick ( via usb memory stick adaptor or card reader) the camera reads
    : the stick as empty, i've tried the stick in the photo machines in local
    : stores also shows the stick as empty, only the pc show the images are
    : on the stick, i've tried it with more than one stick so i dont think
    : the memory stick is damaged. can anyone advise, regards, chris.

    I'm coming at this from a slight angle as I do not use sony memory sticks,
    but I suspect that some of my experiences with other memory forms may
    translate. First I would look to see if the stick has some form of
    mechanical read only switch. If the switch is set to write protect the
    camera MAY ignore it but the computer wouldn't. In this case the computer
    would refuse to write the file back to the stick and thus the stick would
    remain empty. Second most cameras in the last few years tend to put their
    images in a sub folder on the card (or even a sub folder of a sub folder).
    Any image placed outside this folder would be invisible to the camera. And
    if the photo machines are looking for a folder for these images it may not
    see the images in an unexpected place. Finally I do know that some cameras
    actually store a data file on the stick that keeps track of how many
    images are in the memory and the last image number used, etc. So if your
    camera is doing this, it just may not recognize an image outside the
    parameters of the saved data, or named in some way that the camera does
    not recognize.

    Give this a try. First format the stick in the camera to make sure you are
    starting with a blank slate. Then take a single photo. Put the stick in a
    card reader (not the camera) and move the image from the card to your
    computer. Then copy the image right back where you got it from without
    making any changes to the image or the file name. Then see if the camera
    will find the image. If so, then take the stick to the store to see if the
    machine can find the image (you shouldn't have to go all the way to
    printing the image, just view the images as if you were going to print).

    Of course since I do not have your camera, use memory sticks, or visit
    your particular store, I am only able to give suggestions. So feel free
    to ignore or disregard any or all of this. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Nov 10, 2006
    chris
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > hi, i have a sony cyber-shot dsc p200, i can load photos from the
    > camera to my pc but when i try to put the photos back onto the memory
    > stick ( via usb memory stick adaptor or card reader) the camera reads
    > the stick as empty

    I can confirm that P200 won't read a file off its directory
    structure. On the other hand, A100's user manual has specific
    instructions how to put pictures on stick: all you need to do is to
    use the expected file name dsc0NNNN.jpg, with N being digits (for
    sRGB), or _dscNNNN.jpg (for AdobeRGB).

    The folder should be created by the camera. AND: A100 can read sticks
    created with P200! Assume that the inverse works too (with sRGB) - no
    reason to assume this, but there no reason to reject this too ;-).

    So, adding to what others say: the short recipe would be:

    a) format card in camera;
    b) make a shot;
    c) erase it;
    d) access the stick from the computer;
    e) and zip all the contents.

    Now when you need to create a presentation on a computer,

    1) erase all the stuff on the card (on the computer) [optional];
    2) unzip initial.zip back to the card;
    3) add correctly named images to the directory DCIM/100MSDCF
    4) pray.

    [Of course, if you do not need to do it many times, then skip (e,1,2).]

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Nov 10, 2006