Transfer of VOIP number from one provider to another

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by RH, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. RH

    RH Guest

    I know it seems to now be poular to transfer BT lines to VOIP providers,
    (with great effort I understand) can the same be done with numbers on other
    VOIP providers?

    I currently have an account on Voipfone and would like to move it elsewhere
    (if I can find another provider which meets my needs)

    The service I get from voipfone is really really good business class VOIP.
    would recommend for for incoming business voip line any day of the week.
    But I use their call divertion service which is great but use it a lott (to
    mobiles) and the charges are high to the mobiles I use (Three 23.5p/min inc
    VAT) and my Global Sim a Lichtenstien Mobile at 37/p/minute. when I compare
    the rates I can get from lowratevoip (.8p & 15p inc) or some others, I can
    seethere maybe scope in saving money elsewhere.

    It is quite amazing to see the difference in pricing to some desitination.
    Of course you do get what you pay for, which is why I went with voipfone to
    begin with and payed for a geographic number. but the difference can be
    huge, to call Lichtenstien mobile for example, cheapest was 15p/minute most
    expensive was voip.co.uk at 71p/minute even vonage is cheaper
    RH, Jan 31, 2007

  2. RH

    Jono Guest

    On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" <> wrote:
    > I know it seems to now be poular to transfer BT lines to VOIP providers,
    > (with great effort I understand) can the same be done with numbers on other
    > VOIP providers?
    >
    > I currently have an account on Voipfone and would like to move it elsewhere
    > (if I can find another provider which meets my needs)
    >
    > The service I get from voipfone is really really good business class VOIP.
    > would recommend for for incoming business voip line any day of the week.
    > But I use their call divertion service which is great but use it a lott (to
    > mobiles) and the charges are high to the mobiles I use (Three 23.5p/min inc
    > VAT) and my Global Sim a Lichtenstien Mobile at 37/p/minute. when I compare
    > the rates I can get from lowratevoip (.8p & 15p inc) or some others, I can
    > seethere maybe scope in saving money elsewhere.
    >
    > It is quite amazing to see the difference in pricing to some desitination.
    > Of course you do get what you pay for, which is why I went with voipfone to
    > begin with and payed for a geographic number. but the difference can be
    > huge, to call Lichtenstien mobile for example, cheapest was 15p/minute most
    > expensive was voip.co.uk at 71p/minute even vonage is cheaper

    If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    an original 3 number.

    Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.

    I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    found - voipcheap.com
    Jono, Jan 31, 2007

  3. RH

    Brian A Guest

    On 31 Jan 2007 07:08:40 -0800, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" <> wrote:
    >> I know it seems to now be poular to transfer BT lines to VOIP providers,
    >> (with great effort I understand) can the same be done with numbers on other
    >> VOIP providers?
    >>
    >> I currently have an account on Voipfone and would like to move it elsewhere
    >> (if I can find another provider which meets my needs)
    >>
    >> The service I get from voipfone is really really good business class VOIP.
    >> would recommend for for incoming business voip line any day of the week.
    >> But I use their call divertion service which is great but use it a lott (to
    >> mobiles) and the charges are high to the mobiles I use (Three 23.5p/min inc
    >> VAT) and my Global Sim a Lichtenstien Mobile at 37/p/minute. when I compare
    >> the rates I can get from lowratevoip (.8p & 15p inc) or some others, I can
    >> seethere maybe scope in saving money elsewhere.
    >>
    >> It is quite amazing to see the difference in pricing to some desitination.
    >> Of course you do get what you pay for, which is why I went with voipfone to
    >> begin with and payed for a geographic number. but the difference can be
    >> huge, to call Lichtenstien mobile for example, cheapest was 15p/minute most
    >> expensive was voip.co.uk at 71p/minute even vonage is cheaper

    >If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    >an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    >them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    >as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    >an original 3 number.
    >
    >Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.
    >
    >I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    >presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    >calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    >cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    >found - voipcheap.com

    Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
    If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
    call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
    so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
    provider B instantly.
    If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
    agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
    and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
    faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
    provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 31, 2007
  4. RH

    andy Guest

    On Jan 31, 3:54 pm, Brian A <> wrote:
    > On 31 Jan 2007 07:08:40 -0800, "Jono" <> wrote:
    >

    > >On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" <> wrote:
    > >> I know it seems to now be poular to transfer BT lines to VOIP providers,
    > >> (with great effort I understand) can the same be done with numbers on other
    > >> VOIP providers?

    > >> I currently have an account on Voipfone and would like to move it elsewhere
    > >> (if I can find another provider which meets my needs)

    > >> The service I get from voipfone is really really good business class VOIP.
    > >> would recommend for for incoming business voip line any day of the week.
    > >> But I use their call divertion service which is great but use it a lott (to
    > >> mobiles) and the charges are high to the mobiles I use (Three 23.5p/min inc
    > >> VAT) and my Global Sim a Lichtenstien Mobile at 37/p/minute. when I compare
    > >> the rates I can get from lowratevoip (.8p & 15p inc) or some others, I can
    > >> seethere maybe scope in saving money elsewhere.

    > >> It is quite amazing to see the difference in pricing to some desitination.
    > >> Of course you do get what you pay for, which is why I went with voipfone to
    > >> begin with and payed for a geographic number. but the difference can be
    > >> huge, to call Lichtenstien mobile for example, cheapest was 15p/minute most
    > >> expensive was voip.co.uk at 71p/minute even vonage is cheaper

    > >If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    > >an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    > >them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    > >as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    > >an original 3 number.

    > >Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.

    > >I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    > >presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    > >calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    > >cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    > >found - voipcheap.com

    > Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
    > If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
    > call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
    > so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
    > provider B instantly.
    > If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
    > agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
    > and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
    > faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
    > provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.- Hide quoted text -

    And as well as those ideas, an IoM numbered roaming SIM can be reached
    at the VC tariff..... and Voxalot or Voipbuster callback can be used
    with the VC account, though for the latter a different DID provider is
    required (try IPKall)
    andy, Jan 31, 2007
  5. RH

    RH Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    > an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    > them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    > as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    > an original 3 number.
    >
    > Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.
    >
    > I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    > presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    > calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    > cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    > found - voipcheap.com

    Thanks for comments

    I actually use a trixbox server at home, and my plan had been to do the
    divertion at my end with trixbox
    but have always found diverting an incoming VOIP call out to Mobile via
    another VOIP Provider troublesome, it never works correctly (and I gave up)
    I always get no audio both ways on the mobile (but if I call in on 2 VOIP
    connections on a conference call hosted by the same server I do get audio.
    Like many things to do with trixbox I gave up on it, but will try again on a
    latest version
    RH, Jan 31, 2007
  6. RH

    RH Guest

    > Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
    > If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
    > call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
    > so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
    > provider B instantly.
    > If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
    > agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
    > and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
    > faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
    > provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

    I use Trixbox and a 7960 at home and all atempts at call forwarding fail,
    for outgoing calls
    I manually make I do use internetcalls.com, but my need is only for call
    diversion, which with
    voipfone is at server end, so lag time is minimal
    RH, Jan 31, 2007
  7. RH

    Jono Guest

    RH wrote :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    >> an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    >> them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    >> as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    >> an original 3 number.
    >>
    >> Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.
    >>
    >> I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    >> presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    >> calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    >> cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    >> found - voipcheap.com

    > Thanks for comments
    >
    > I actually use a trixbox server at home, and my plan had been to do the
    > divertion at my end with trixbox
    > but have always found diverting an incoming VOIP call out to Mobile via
    > another VOIP Provider troublesome, it never works correctly (and I gave up)
    > I always get no audio both ways on the mobile (but if I call in on 2 VOIP
    > connections on a conference call hosted by the same server I do get audio.
    > Like many things to do with trixbox I gave up on it, but will try again on a
    > latest version

    Not sur ethat the laterst version would necessarily fix things! I'm
    using the forerunner - Asterisk@Home v2.7 - and it works for me.

    If you can sucessfully call a mobile from within your network, you
    should be able to forward to it.

    If you don't want to be bothered using the Call Forwarding app, include
    your mobile number in the ring group, followed by a #. Now any inbound
    calls to that group should ring the mobile as well.
    Jono, Jan 31, 2007
  8. RH

    Herman Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
    >> an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
    >> them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
    >> as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
    >> an original 3 number.
    >>
    >> Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.
    >>
    >> I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
    >> presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
    >> calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
    >> cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
    >> found - voipcheap.com

    > Thanks for comments
    >
    > I actually use a trixbox server at home, and my plan had been to do the
    > divertion at my end with trixbox
    > but have always found diverting an incoming VOIP call out to Mobile via
    > another VOIP Provider troublesome, it never works correctly (and I gave
    > up) I always get no audio both ways on the mobile (but if I call in on 2
    > VOIP connections on a conference call hosted by the same server I do get
    > audio. Like many things to do with trixbox I gave up on it, but will try
    > again on a latest version

    If you are considering other hardware options, a FritzBox (www.avm.de/en)
    handles call diversion very well. I use the parallel calling feature which
    is quite handy as it uses my voipcheap com account. They are expensive
    though :-( It also obviously depends on the quality of your internet
    connection.
    Herman, Jan 31, 2007
  9. RH

    Oldie Guest

    On Jan 31, 3:54 pm, Brian A <> wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
    > If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
    > call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
    > so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
    > provider B instantly.
    > If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
    > agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
    > and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
    > faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
    > provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

    You can redirect incoming calls to Voipfone onwards to another SIP
    provider as well - so long as they have peering arrangements. For
    instance setting your divert to *472username will forward them to a
    Gradwell account.

    Oldie
    Oldie, Feb 1, 2007