    to Outlook Express POP3. But the number of messages is very large,
    over 30,000. The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages. Is
    there a way to get around this problem?
    steve, Oct 4, 2009

  2. steve

    NotMe Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    :I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    : to Outlook Express POP3. But the number of messages is very large,
    : over 30,000. The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages. Is
    : there a way to get around this problem?

    Open Hotmail account, create a temporary folder 'stuff' for example. Move
    the excess messages to the stuff folder. do the regular access dance, (set
    to remove from server option) them move the next group to the in box repeat
    as necessary.
    NotMe, Oct 4, 2009

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 4, 11:23 am, "NotMe" <> wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message

    > :I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > : to Outlook Express POP3.  But the number of messages is very large,
    > : over 30,000.  The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages.  Is
    > : there a way to get around this problem?
    >
    > Open Hotmail account, create a temporary folder 'stuff' for example.  Move
    > the excess messages to the stuff folder.  do the regular access dance, (set
    > to remove from server option) them move the next group to the in box repeat
    > as necessary.

    This would take a very long time since I can only move one 30-message
    block at a time. Is there a way to move larger blocks of messages?
    steve, Oct 4, 2009
  4. steve wrote:

    > I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > to Outlook Express POP3. But the number of messages is very large,
    > over 30,000.

    30,000?? You need a wife who cleans house! My goodness, that is a
    *huge* number of email messages to store in one folder.

    > The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages. Is there a way to
    > get around this problem?

    Delete 29,642 of them.

    Alternately, 15,000 messages is probably killing OE as well, which is
    well known for stuffing itself up with far fewer messages than that.
    Download them at a rate of, say, 500 at a time, move each group of 500
    to separate storage folders, then go get the next 500. See if that
    helps.

    --
    -bts
    -Could. Not. Resist.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 4, 2009
  5. steve

    PeeCee Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > to Outlook Express POP3. But the number of messages is very large,
    > over 30,000. The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages. Is
    > there a way to get around this problem?

    Steve

    30,000 emails in you inbox is 'Way' to many to cram into OE's inbox.
    Move the emails from Hotmails inbox that you have already received into OE
    so you can eventually work your way down the list.
    If OE is crashing before any emails are transfered then you are just going
    to have to reduce the number in the Hotmail inbox.
    It shouldn't take that long (15000/30 = only 500 move operations before it
    should work!)

    BTW don't try and keep all your emails in OE's inbox either, OE has a
    reputation for corrupting large email files.
    I have seen OE systems with up to 42,000 emails in the inbox.
    The look on the owners face when it crashed and they vanished was well, not
    pretty.

    OE is 'not' a filing system, though by creating folders (and sub folders)
    you can use it like that.
    For your emails safety you should create sub folders and move emails from
    the inbox, regularly 'compact' all folders, and backup the OE .dbx files up
    regularly.

    I'ts interesting to note Windows Mail, which is Vista's version of OE, has
    changed to saving each email as a seperate file rather than cramming them
    all into one file like OE does.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 5, 2009
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 4, 2:09 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    > > I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > > to Outlook Express POP3.  But the number of messages is very large,
    > > over 30,000.

    > 30,000??  You need a wife who cleans house!  My goodness, that is a
    > *huge* number of email messages to store in one folder.
    >
    > > The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages.  Is there a way to
    > > get around this problem?

    > Delete 29,642 of them.
    >
    > Alternately, 15,000 messages is probably killing OE as well, which is
    > well known for stuffing itself up with far fewer messages than that.
    > Download them at a rate of, say, 500 at a time, move each group of 500
    > to separate storage folders, then go get the next 500. See if that
    > helps.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -Could. Not. Resist.

    How can I download 500 at a time?
    steve, Oct 6, 2009
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 5, 2:38 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message

    > >I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > > to Outlook Express POP3.  But the number of messages is very large,
    > > over 30,000.  The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages.  Is
    > > there a way to get around this problem?

    > Steve
    >
    > 30,000 emails in you inbox is 'Way' to many to cram into OE's inbox.
    > Move the emails from Hotmails inbox  that you have already received into OE
    > so you can eventually work your way down the list.
    > If OE is crashing before any emails are transfered then you are just going
    > to have to reduce the number in the Hotmail inbox.
    > It shouldn't take that long (15000/30 = only 500 move operations before it
    > should work!)
    >
    > BTW don't try and keep all your emails in OE's inbox either, OE has a
    > reputation for corrupting large email files.
    > I have seen OE systems with up to 42,000 emails in the inbox.
    > The look on the owners face when it crashed and they vanished was well, not
    > pretty.
    >
    > OE is 'not' a filing system, though by creating folders (and sub folders)
    > you can use it like that.
    > For your emails safety you should create sub folders and move emails from
    > the inbox, regularly 'compact' all folders, and backup the OE .dbx files up
    > regularly.
    >
    > I'ts interesting to note Windows Mail, which is Vista's version of OE, has
    > changed to saving each email as a seperate file rather than cramming them
    > all into one file like OE does.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Paul,

    Thanks for the advice. I have a message rule moving the downloaded
    Hotmail email to a separate OE folder. I was hoping that any
    downloaded Hotmail messages would be deleted from my Hotmail account
    (I have that option turned on) but it seems that the timeout is
    preventing this deletion.
    steve, Oct 6, 2009
  8. steve

    PeeCee Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 5, 2:38 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message

    > >I am trying to transfer the email messages stored in my Hotmail Inbox
    > > to Outlook Express POP3. But the number of messages is very large,
    > > over 30,000. The transfer is timing out after 15,000 messages. Is
    > > there a way to get around this problem?

    > Steve
    >
    > 30,000 emails in you inbox is 'Way' to many to cram into OE's inbox.
    > Move the emails from Hotmails inbox that you have already received into OE
    > so you can eventually work your way down the list.
    > If OE is crashing before any emails are transfered then you are just going
    > to have to reduce the number in the Hotmail inbox.
    > It shouldn't take that long (15000/30 = only 500 move operations before it
    > should work!)
    >
    > BTW don't try and keep all your emails in OE's inbox either, OE has a
    > reputation for corrupting large email files.
    > I have seen OE systems with up to 42,000 emails in the inbox.
    > The look on the owners face when it crashed and they vanished was well,
    > not
    > pretty.
    >
    > OE is 'not' a filing system, though by creating folders (and sub folders)
    > you can use it like that.
    > For your emails safety you should create sub folders and move emails from
    > the inbox, regularly 'compact' all folders, and backup the OE .dbx files
    > up
    > regularly.
    >
    > I'ts interesting to note Windows Mail, which is Vista's version of OE, has
    > changed to saving each email as a seperate file rather than cramming them
    > all into one file like OE does.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Paul,

    Thanks for the advice. I have a message rule moving the downloaded
    Hotmail email to a separate OE folder. I was hoping that any
    downloaded Hotmail messages would be deleted from my Hotmail account
    (I have that option turned on) but it seems that the timeout is
    preventing this deletion.

    Steve

    I forgot to mention there is a place to adjust the timeout that 'may' just
    allow you to get the initial download sorted.
    OE, Tools, Accounts, highlight the account of interest and click properties.
    On the Advanced tab there is a setting for "server timeout" try temporarily
    bumping this up to see if you can clear the timeout.

    Note it 'may' work, adjusting this parameter to fix similar problems hasn't
    really worked for me in the past but you never know your luck.

    You can also generate a log that may give you some clues as to what is
    happening.
    Tools, Options, Maintenance tab tick the Mail tickbox in the troubleshooting
    section at the bottom.
    The log is written as text file named pop.log and smtp.log in the same
    folder as OE's inbox.dbx, sentbox.dbx etc files.
    To find their location click the Store Folder button on the same Advanced
    tab.

    Yes deletion of emails from the hotmail account will only happen once 'all'
    the emails have arrived.
    Set the logs on as mentioned above and send and receive on one of your other
    email accounts and you will see the delete command issued from OE at the end
    of the send receive session.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 7, 2009
  9. steve

    Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >> Download them at a rate of, say, 500 at a time, move each group of 500
    >> to separate storage folders, then go get the next 500. See if that
    >> helps.

    >How can I download 500 at a time?

    It's an option in Outlook Ex, it's default setting is 300.
    --

    Those country boys...
    http://imgur.com/eLFPa

    Must be photoshop'd, no bullet holes.
    , Oct 11, 2009
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 11, 3:56 am, wrote:
    >  steve <> wrote:
    > >> Download them at a rate of, say, 500 at a time, move each group of 500
    > >> to separate storage folders, then go get the next 500. See if that
    > >> helps.

    > >How can I download 500 at a time?

    > It's an option in Outlook Ex, it's default setting is 300.

    I see this option only in the News account
    steve, Oct 15, 2009
  11. steve

    floffy Guest

    On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:45:36 -0700 (PDT), steve
    <> wrote:

    >> >How can I download 500 at a time?

    >> It's an option in Outlook Ex, it's default setting is 300.

    >I see this option only in the News account

    This is for newsgroups nothing to do with Email
    floffy, Oct 15, 2009
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 6, 11:21 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > Note it 'may' work, adjusting this parameter to fix similar problems hasn't
    > really worked for me in the past but you never know your luck.
    >
    > You can also generate a log that may give you some clues as to what is
    > happening.
    > Tools, Options, Maintenance tab tick the Mail tickbox in the troubleshooting
    > section at the bottom.
    > The log is written as text file named pop.log and smtp.log in the same
    > folder as OE's inbox.dbx, sentbox.dbx etc files.
    > To find their location click the Store Folder button on the same Advanced
    > tab.
    >
    > Yes deletion of emails from the hotmail account will only happen once 'all'
    > the emails have arrived.
    > Set the logs on as mentioned above and send and receive on one of your other
    > email accounts and you will see the delete command issued from OE at the end

    Paul,

    Looked at the log file but it did not give any additional useful info;
    it basically gave the message numbers read and then gave the timeout
    message.

    Also the max time for server timeout is 5 mins.
    steve, Oct 15, 2009
  13. steve

    PeeCee Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 6, 11:21 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > folder as OE's inbox.dbx, sentbox.dbx etc files.
    > To find their location click the Store Folder button on the same Advanced
    > tab.
    >
    > Yes deletion of emails from the hotmail account will only happen once
    > 'all'
    > the emails have arrived.
    > Set the logs on as mentioned above and send and receive on one of your
    > other
    > email accounts and you will see the delete command issued from OE at the
    > end
    > of the send receive session.
    >
    > Best

    >Paul,

    >Looked at the log file but it did not give any additional useful info;
    >it basically gave the message numbers read and then gave the timeout
    >message.

    >Also the max time for server timeout is 5 mins.

    mmmm

    Looks like you're going to have to manually move the emails out of the inbox
    till OE successfully receives them, then move the 'moved' ones back.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 15, 2009
  14. steve

    steve Guest

    On Oct 15, 1:29 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > Yes deletion of emails from the hotmail account will only happen once
    > > 'all'
    > > the emails have arrived.
    > > Set the logs on as mentioned above and send and receive on one of your
    > > other
    > > email accounts and you will see the delete command issued from OE at the
    > > end
    > > of the send receive session.

    > > Best
    > >Paul,
    > >Looked at the log file but it did not give any additional useful info;
    > >it basically gave the message numbers read and then gave the timeout
    > >message.
    > >Also the max time for server timeout is 5 mins.

    > mmmm
    >
    > Looks like you're going to have to manually move the emails out of the inbox
    > till OE successfully receives them, then move the 'moved' ones back.

    Paul,

    Yes, a lot of manual labor.

    Thanks to you and othersfor taking the time to help!
    steve, Oct 17, 2009