    What is the easiest way to "transfer" the programs and data on the old
    computer to the new one with the same partitioning ?

    Thanks in advance

    jim fisher, Aug 3, 2007

  2. jim fisher wrote:
    > I have Dell withh XP PRO on an 80 gig HD. I have just purchased a new
    > Dell with XP PRO and a 320 gig HD. The HD on the old machine was set
    > up with a 2 gig partition C: using W98 and the reamainde rin a
    > partition D: using XP PRO.
    > What is the easiest way to "transfer" the programs and data on the old
    > computer to the new one with the same partitioning ?

    Just hook up the old drive as a slave or as primary drive 2 in the new
    computer. Then in Windows Explorer you can simply drag and drop files
    across drives.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 3, 2007

  3. jim fisher wrote:
    > I have Dell withh XP PRO on an 80 gig HD. I have just purchased a new
    > Dell with XP PRO and a 320 gig HD. The HD on the old machine was set
    > up with a 2 gig partition C: using W98 and the reamainde rin a
    > partition D: using XP PRO.
    > What is the easiest way to "transfer" the programs and data on the old
    > computer to the new one with the same partitioning ?

    Oops, just noticed you said "programs" too. Simply copying them will not
    work. You can "ghost" a drive from the old to the new and the programs
    will work. Most drive mfg's allow you to download software to do that.
    But honestly, you're starting out with a clean install, why junk it up
    with all the old crap from the hard drive? Just reinstall the programs
    you use the most and it'll run better.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 3, 2007
  4. jim fisher

    jim fisher Guest

    I really appreciate your reply. My son in law told me I could not use
    Norton Ghost to make an image of my HD in old computer to an external
    HD ands then hookup the external to the new computer ands recover its
    contents to the HD in the new computer. He said the programs
    transferred in this way would not work on the new computer. IF I
    understand you correctly you are saying they will. Have you
    successfully done this ?? It would sure make my life a lot easier if
    that would work. I appreciate what you are saying about reunstalling
    my programs on the new computer and then just "copying" data from the
    old to the new but I was planning to copy what I have and then
    deleting stuff I did not really need.

    jim fisher, Aug 5, 2007