    working fine. I have a few files larger than 1.4 mb that I need to transfer.
    Can I connect a hard drive from an old win98 os to a new xp machine as a
    slave? Are there any compatibility issues?
    almannon, Feb 28, 2005

  2. almannon

    bearman Guest

    "almannon" <> wrote in message
    news:EqyUd.9990$...
    > The only removable media on the old machine is a floppy. It has a USB port
    > but I have been unable to get it to recognize my Sandisk flash drive. I

    have
    > already transferred several smaller files with the floppy and they are
    > working fine. I have a few files larger than 1.4 mb that I need to

    transfer.
    > Can I connect a hard drive from an old win98 os to a new xp machine as a
    > slave? Are there any compatibility issues?

    You should be able to connect the WIN98 drive.

    --
    Bearman
    If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.
    bearman, Feb 28, 2005

  3. almannon

    Robert Baer Guest

    bearman wrote:

    > "almannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The only removable media on the old machine is a floppy. It has a USB port
    >>but I have been unable to get it to recognize my Sandisk flash drive. I

    > have
    >
    >>already transferred several smaller files with the floppy and they are
    >>working fine. I have a few files larger than 1.4 mb that I need to

    > transfer.
    >
    >>Can I connect a hard drive from an old win98 os to a new xp machine as a
    >>slave? Are there any compatibility issues?
    >>

    > You should be able to connect the WIN98 drive.

    In general, for "modern" PCs, (ie: Pentium class or better), one can
    add drives as one sees fit, within the following limitations:
    1) You cannot have more than 4 IDE devices.
    2) If one of the drives is a Maxtor, you are screwed unless both drives
    are Maxtor *and* the same vintage - then you might be sucessful. Use
    of a different IDE controller in the same computer will *not* solve the
    problem.
    3) If the destination computer is a proprietary box (Dell, HP, Compaq,
    etc), make damn sure the drive you add is configured *other* than
    Primary Master!
    4) If the destination computer has WinXP, AFAIK you are screwed, unless
    you love to call Micro$uck every time you change your hardware. And
    *NEVER* apologize for troubling them; !THEY! caused the problem, and on
    *purpose*.
    Robert Baer, Feb 28, 2005
  4. almannon

    WebWalker Guest

    Are you trolling?

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, Mar 2, 2005
  5. almannon

    Robert Baer Guest

    WebWalker wrote:
    > Are you trolling?

    If you do not want to know hard-earned facts, then close your eyes
    the next time you cross the street.
    Robert Baer, Mar 2, 2005
  6. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > bearman wrote:
    >
    >> "almannon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The only removable media on the old machine is a floppy. It has a USB
    >>>port
    >>>but I have been unable to get it to recognize my Sandisk flash drive. I

    >> have
    >>
    >>>already transferred several smaller files with the floppy and they are
    >>>working fine. I have a few files larger than 1.4 mb that I need to

    >> transfer.
    >>
    >>>Can I connect a hard drive from an old win98 os to a new xp machine as a
    >>>slave? Are there any compatibility issues?
    >>>

    >> You should be able to connect the WIN98 drive.
    >>

    > In general, for "modern" PCs, (ie: Pentium class or better), one can add
    > drives as one sees fit, within the following limitations:
    > 1) You cannot have more than 4 IDE devices.

    I have six IDE devices in my PC, with connections for two more
    Brian Wescombe, Mar 2, 2005