    but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
    idea!

    Thanks in advance!

    harrypotter, Feb 29, 2004

  2. harrypotter

    Robert Baer Guest

    harrypotter wrote:

    > I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
    > mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
    > old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
    > over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
    > but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
    > idea!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    That "salesman" is an ass.
    Install the old HD as Secondary Master and do HD to HD copy of all
    personal files.
    Fast and no added cost...
    Check and double check that all has been done, and a week or so later,
    triple check.

    Robert Baer, Feb 29, 2004

  3. harrypotter

    Thor Guest

    The salesman is an idiot.

    There are a number of possible ways to do this besides using floppies, and
    it just depends on your level of technical knowledge as to which method you
    want to use. Here are a few of them.

    1. Get a USB file transfer cable. If both machines have USB ports, you can
    use one of these specialized cables to transfer the data betwen them. Make
    sure whatever one you get comes with software for that purpose.

    2. A parallel "laplink" cable. This is a special cable that connects to the
    parallel (LPT) printer port of each computer. You can use the Windows XP
    files and settings transfwer wizard to set up a connection between the two
    computers, and then select the files for transfer. Or, use other software
    like Linkmaven, Laplink, etc to do this.

    3. serial "null modem" cable. Connects between the serial COM ports of each
    computer. Much slower than the two solutions above, and I would only suggest
    this if you have very little data to move.

    4. Install network cards in both machines (if they don't already have them)
    and use a crossover network cable to connect the machines together. Set up a
    network between them, then transfer the files.

    5. Remove the harddrive from the older computer, and install it temporarily
    as a secondary master on the new machine, then fire up windows and simply
    drag-n-drop the files from the old drive to the new one. This may require
    disconnecting your CD drive(s) temporarily on the new machine, but when you
    are finished, simply reconnect them and everything should be fine.

    Thor, Feb 29, 2004
  4. harrypotter

    Wizard Guest

    Remove the old drive and temporarily hook it up where your new CD drive
    is. Reboot and it should be seen .. if not you will have to change the
    jumpers on it. Then once it appears just copy and paste the whole drive
    to a new folder called "old Stuff". This is how I do it everyday. Then
    of course reverse the process.

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  5. harrypotter

    Jerry G. Guest

    There are a number of options.

    The best I found is to put a network card in both machines. Your new one
    should have it. Use a peer to peer cable between the two, and set them up
    for a small network. You will then be able to drag and drop the folders
    over.

    If you want, the better way to do the network, especially if you are using a
    high speed network modem, is to get a router, and use patch cables. This way
    you can have a mini network with the two computers, and both have internet
    access at the same time. You can also make the printer shared, so that each
    machine can print on the same printer.

    You can also get the hardware and software to do file transfers by USB,
    serial, or parallel ports. This is not the best, but will work. The end cost
    would be about the same, as a proper simple network connection between the
    two machines.

    Your dealer, if he is worth himself as a dealer should be able to help you
    set this up.

    Another approach is to get another hard disk, and install it in to the old
    machine as a second drive. You can then move it over to the new machine to
    copy the files over, and then leave it in as a backup and extra data drive.
    I would prefer this method for internal backups, and data storage. But, I
    like networking my machines together. I keep my old machines, and network
    them together as I buy new ones. I now have 4 machines working together. I
    am soon going to get another one, and also add this to the system.

    I have a friend that buys used ones, and is building a network at home. He
    has a computer in almost each room of the house now. There is even a kitchen
    computer for doing recipes, keeping track of the food usage, and making the
    shopping lists. He also has cameras at the front and rear doors, and the
    driveway, with an intercom that works though all the computers.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg
    http://www.zoom-one.com
    ==================

    Jerry G., Feb 29, 2004
  6. harrypotter

    Professor Guest

    There are data tansfer cables that use the parallel port which you can get
    for about six dollars and then use Windows direct cable transfer. Another
    solution is to temporarily put the old hdd into the new computer as a slave
    drive and copy the data then you can put it back into the old computer.
    Another way would be to put it on a web site if the files are small but mp3s
    are not allowed by most free websites. The first two solutions work fine and
    I have used them both.

    Professor, Mar 2, 2004