    came with that Camedia software , I can go into Camedia and get them from
    the camera. I wonder if that is keeping other programs from finding it or
    opening it up? I would like to open them up in another program.

    triad, Dec 22, 2003

  2. triad

    Paul Heslop Guest

    triad wrote:

    > I have a Olympus D550 camera and when I want to send pictures directly into
    > Photoshop or Elements or Photo Draw it can never find the digital camera. It
    > came with that Camedia software , I can go into Camedia and get them from
    > the camera. I wonder if that is keeping other programs from finding it or
    > opening it up? I would like to open them up in another program.

    I have heard that this situation occurs with win98 etc. On XP as soon as you
    plug the camera in it shows as an extra drive and you can just use whatever
    program you want to access with, or simply open it as a drive, including drag
    and dropping files back onto it.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at

    Paul Heslop, Dec 22, 2003

  3. triad

    Ken Bachman Guest

    I discovered that my c2100 worked that same way. I found this on google and
    it worked for me. Although the D550 is not listed I would give it a try. Of
    course back up the neccesary files first. Also after these changes, Camedia
    software would not find my camera any longer. It seems one can't have it
    both ways. I never had much use for the Camedia software anyway and have
    since purchased a card reader which works better than connecting through the
    camera anyway.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...f3c3$1tvibr$&rnum=5

    After Searching, searching and searching I have Michel Gallois from
    fr.rec.photo.numerique to thank for the solution to the "My Olympus Camera
    Doesn't work on Windows XP". After these changes your camera will work
    with the Wizards and you can drag and drop the images off the camera as if
    it were a disk drive (Shows up in My Computer as "Olympus Digital Camera"
    This worked for my C-3030Z, It should also work for these models:
    D360L ,D400Z ,D450Z ,D460Z ,D490Z ,C2000Z
    ,C2020Z,C211Z,C2500L,C3000Z,C3030Z,C2100 based the information in Microsoft
    Knowledge base articles

    Q281090 - Olympus Digital Cameras Require Olympus Camedia Utility Software
    Q293168 - Digital Cameras That Are Supported by WIA in Windows XP

    Unfortunately Microsoft had to drop native support for Olympus in Windows
    XP.
    Legal issues, was the official answer I got. I'm afraid Olympus doesn't want
    Microsoft to get our life easier.
    Anyway. I found the way to make it work.

    You have to edit the file:

    c:\windows\inf\srusbusd.inf

    You'll have to remove two semicolons.

    The section:
    [Manufacturer]
    ;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
    ;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
    remove this semicolon=>;%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

    Must become:
    [Manufacturer]
    ;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
    ;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
    %MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

    And

    The section:
    [ModelsOlympus]
    remove this semicolon=>;%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus,
    USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100
    must become:
    [ModelsOlympus]
    %USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus, USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100

    After this, if you have already the Olympus C-2100 in your Device Manager,
    uninstall it and run again the new hardware wizard. Let Windows XP find the
    correct driver. Windows will attempt to frighten you with a catastrophe
    prophecy. Just ignore it and go on (it works perfectly).
    You're done. Now your Windows XP will see your Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom
    without any additional software.

    Ken Bachman, Dec 22, 2003
  4. triad

    Cambium Guest

    I tried this for my C-2100, but when I go to install it, the
    C-2100 isn't one of the choices on the list. Is there
    another one of the choices that will work? I downloaded the
    inf file for the C-2100 and put it in the 'inf' directory in
    Windows, but it still won't show it on the list.

    "Ken Bachman" <> wrote in message
    > I discovered that my c2100 worked that same way. I found

    this on google and
    > it worked for me. Although the D550 is not listed I would

    give it a try. Of
    > course back up the neccesary files first. Also after these

    changes, Camedia
    > software would not find my camera any longer. It seems one

    can't have it
    > both ways. I never had much use for the Camedia software

    anyway and have
    > since purchased a card reader which works better than

    connecting through the
    > camera anyway.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&
    selm=b4f3c3%241tvibr%241%40ID-162093.news.dfncis.de&rnum=5

    Cambium, Dec 24, 2003