    transfer. If so how do I network them together? How do I transfer the
    files?
    Thanks!

    Girl Jamie, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Girl Jamie

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Some useful ideas here.

    http://tinyurl.com/2g3qh

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    "Girl Jamie" <> wrote in message
    news:Z6mFb.31104$...
    > Hi,
    > I am getting a new pc and I wonder how can I transfer all information

    from
    > my old pc to the new. Someone told me that I can network them

    together and

    Emrys Davies, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Girl Jamie

    Graham Guest

    They both need RJ45 connections (and network cards) and then using a cross
    over UTP cable, you connect them and run the networking wizard entering an
    identical workgroup (such as "HOME"). Then you jus need to share the folders
    (should be on their right click menu). All this stuff is availible from PC
    world. I wouldnt recommend their prices, theyre good for leeching free
    advice though.

    Graham, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Girl Jamie

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:02:17 GMT, "Girl Jamie" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am getting a new pc and I wonder how can I transfer all information from
    >my old pc to the new. Someone told me that I can network them together and
    >transfer. If so how do I network them together? How do I transfer the
    >files?
    >Thanks!

    If both machines are Windows XP, you could use the Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard with a Wizard Disk.
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q306187

    <quote> "You can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer
    settings from one computer to another. This includes your
    personalized settings for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook
    Express, as well as desktop and display, and dial-up connection
    settings." </quote>

    You could also install the old hard drive in the new machine as a slave to
    simplify the copying of files.

    Networking computers:
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    The ideal way is to get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear,
    Linksys, etc.
    (Belkin. Linksys, & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.) It
    provides a firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files, it will
    allow you to share the internet connection, it will negotiate the PPPoE or
    other type of IP connection automatically (you don't need ANY connection
    software anymore), and doesn't cost much more than a good firewall.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/broadband/di604/
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11161711&m=488&cat=540&scat=1574
    http://www.dlink.com/products/broadband/di707/
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/2875924
    http://tinyurl.com/a29a
    http://tinyurl.com/3y0z

    Unk, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Girl Jamie

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:16:39 +0000 (UTC), Graham wrote:

    >They both need RJ45 connections (and network cards) and then using a cross

    <snip>
    >(should be on their right click menu). All this stuff is availible from PC
    >world. I wouldnt recommend their prices, theyre good for leeching free
    >advice though.

    Well that's one that would believe what they say. Maybe you have a
    better staff then my local PC World.

    >"Girl Jamie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I am getting a new pc and I wonder how can I transfer all information from
    >> my old pc to the new. Someone told me that I can network them together

    >and
    >> transfer. If so how do I network them together? How do I transfer the

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Girl Jamie

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:02:17 GMT, Girl Jamie wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am getting a new pc and I wonder how can I transfer all information from
    >my old pc to the new. Someone told me that I can network them together and
    >transfer. If so how do I network them together? How do I transfer the
    >files?
    >Thanks!

    Along with your other replies, home networking
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    has good tutorials and howto guides.

    Another good site for Windows - Windows PC direct cable connections and
    networking.
    http://www.wown.com/

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2003