    need?
    --
    Sprocket in Texas
    Sprocket, Nov 30, 2009

  2. Sprocket

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Sprocket.

    It should work. It worked for me.

    HOW are you using WET? With a transfer cable? Or a thumb drive? A
    network?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 30, 2009

  3. Are you sure? I'd heard that 64-bit to 32-bit didn't work? But honestly, it
    isn't a scenario I've tested, since I'm pretty much full bore 64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2009
  4. Sprocket

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    > Are you sure? I'd heard that 64-bit to 32-bit didn't work? But honestly,
    > it isn't a scenario I've tested, since I'm pretty much full bore 64-bit.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    I should have made it clear that WET worked for me - but I was transferring
    from x64 to x64 - specifically, from Vista Ultimate x64 to Win7 Ultimate x64
    RC, and later from Win7 Ultimate x64 RC to Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM. I've used
    only 64-bit since Vista RTM, 3 years ago, except for occasional test runs of
    x86.

    And I was transferring via a folder on a second HD in my one computer to
    make the transfers from/to different Windows installations in my multi-boot
    system. No cables, thumb drives or other hardware involved. And I've never
    had a laptop.

    No, I haven't tried to/from different "bitness". But my understanding is
    that, since the transfers involve only data and post-install settings and
    tweaks to installed programs - not transferring the programs themselves -
    WET should handle these transfers.

    Now I'm looking in Help and Support and searching for "windows easy
    transfer". In that FAQ, the bottom line says:
    "Note
    "You can't transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit
    version of Windows. For more information about 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
    Windows, see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions."

    That last phrase is a link to the 32/64-bit FAQ, but I don't see anything
    specifically about WET there. And the Note doesn't say WET can't transfer
    the other way, 32 to 64-bit. So now I'm confused. :^{

    Thanks for calling attention to this point, Charlie. I'll watch and wait
    for someone who knows this answer.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 30, 2009
  5. My understanding is that WET works from 32->64bit, but not in reverse. I
    suspect the issue is the different registries. The 64-bit registry is a
    superset of the 32bit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2009