    I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
    files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
    have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

    DannyD, May 25, 2006

  2. DannyD

    Guest

    , May 25, 2006

  3. DannyD

    philo Guest

    "DannyD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > an old machine to a new one.....
    > I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
    > files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
    > have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

    If your old and new machines are both IDE...
    Just put the drive from the old one in your new machine
    and copy over any data you need.

    Be sure the jumpers are set correctly.
    If it makes things easier...you can disconnect the cdrom and put the drive
    on that termination

    philo, May 25, 2006
  4. DannyD

    Ron Martell Guest

    "DannyD" <> wrote:

    >an old machine to a new one.....
    >I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
    >files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
    >have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

    If your new computer will be running Windows XP then you can use the
    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer your user data files
    and program configuration settings (but not installed programs) to the
    new machine. See Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by MVP Gary
    Woodruff: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Application programs will have to be reinstalled. Period. If you
    saved the original download files for your downloaded programs then
    you should be able to copy these over to the new machine and run them
    to install the programs on it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 25, 2006
  5. DannyD

    burris Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > "DannyD" <> wrote:
    >
    >> an old machine to a new one.....
    >> I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
    >> files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
    >> have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.
    >>

    > If your new computer will be running Windows XP then you can use the
    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer your user data files
    > and program configuration settings (but not installed programs) to the
    > new machine. See Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by MVP Gary
    > Woodruff: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >

    > Application programs will have to be reinstalled. Period. If you
    > saved the original download files for your downloaded programs then
    > you should be able to copy these over to the new machine and run them
    > to install the programs on it.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Or, you can go to xxclone.com and download the free version which will
    actually "clone" the entire XP, programs and all, to your new drive.

    burris, May 25, 2006
  6. DannyD

    Plato Guest

    DannyD wrote:

    > an old machine to a new one.....
    > I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
    > files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
    > have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

    Many ways. Including putting in your old drive in the new pc.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 25, 2006
  7. DannyD

    Ron Martell Guest

    burris <> wrote:

    >Or, you can go to xxclone.com and download the free version which will
    >actually "clone" the entire XP, programs and all, to your new drive.

    *If* the old computer is running Windows XP. Many of the upgrade
    questions are from people running earlier versions of Windows and the
    o.p. did not indicate what his current version was.

    And if the old computer is running a BIOS Locked OEM version of
    Windows XP then there could be major complications in getting the
    cloned drive to boot in the new computer.

    Ron Martell, May 26, 2006