    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Adam

    °Mike° Guest

    Take the drive out of the ME machine, and slave it
    to the XP machine. Transfer the files directly.
    You must remember, that the vast majority of
    applications will have to be re-installed on the XP
    machine, so only transfer your setup files, or use
    the CDs. All other data can be transferred without
    problem.

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:02:56 -0500, in
    <btopke$9951k$-berlin.de>
    Adam scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Adam

    Bishoop Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    | I'm presently using Windows ME and am thinking about getting a new tower
    | with XP. What does it entail to transfer the files and applications on
    | my ME hard drive to XP? Thanks,
    | Adam
    |
    | --
    | To email, erase "forgetit"

    You can move your "data" files by several means such back up to floppys,
    backup to CDs, network the PCs, etc.

    The applications will have to be reinstalled on the new WinXP machine, you
    can't just copy and paste.
    Bishoop, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Adam

    Senti Guest

    Adam did mumble btopke$9951k$-berlin.de...

    > I'm presently using Windows ME and am thinking about getting a new
    > tower with XP. What does it entail to transfer the files and
    > applications on my ME hard drive to XP? Thanks,
    > Adam

    For free? XP's File and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...gb/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;306186&ln=en-gb
    or TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/25lln

    More from Google:
    http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=file and settings transfer wizard
    or TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/yqqg3

    Note: "All your programs must be reinstalled on the new computer, because
    actual programs are not migrated by the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    Moreover, some programs have to be installed before their settings are
    transferred." - http://tinyurl.com/2k7r

    Not so free? Alohabob PC Relocator 3.0
    Review:
    http://www.techtv.com/products/software/story/0,23008,3353642,00.html
    Or TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/33e6e
    Website: http://www.alohabob.com/PCRelocator.asp?sub=1
    [Note: "Moves most programs, plus all personal preferences"]
    --
    ~SF~
    Things will get better -- despite our efforts to improve them. -Will
    Senti, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Adam

    SLP Guest

    "Senti" <> wrote in message
    > Adam did mumble btopke$9951k$-berlin.de...
    >
    > > I'm presently using Windows ME and am thinking about getting a new
    > > tower with XP. What does it entail to transfer the files and
    > > applications on my ME hard drive to XP? Thanks,
    > > Adam

    Whatever method you choose, make sure you copy across *everything* that you
    need.

    It's easy to overlook things like your address book, Favourites folder, data
    files which may have been saved in a programs default folder instead of 'My
    Documents', custom dictionaries, passwords, backgrounds, screensavers, etc,
    etc.

    SLP
    SLP, Jan 10, 2004