    Another question.....
    What is the best IT certification MCSA/MCSE or CCNA???

    Regards

    Ing. René Antón Castillo, May 24, 2004

  2. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    harryph Guest

    niether, you will not learn a thing for them, learn the
    proper way, i sugest, ms press, sybex or best would be
    syngress, best of luck AND DONT USE THOSE Q and A

    for the Microsoft

    harryph, May 24, 2004

  3. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    harryph, May 24, 2004
  4. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    "harryph" <> wrote in

    > niether, you will not learn a thing for them, learn the
    > proper way, i sugest, ms press, sybex or best would be
    > syngress, best of luck AND DONT USE THOSE Q and A

    I disagree. used in conjuction with other material, it test preps can be
    a usefull learning tool. on their own however, they are pointless.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 24, 2004
  5. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    harryph Guest

    Yeah, ya properly right, just sick of boson, a friend in
    Seattle put my email and mobile number down as interested
    in one of there bootcamps now I get a call every week
    asking if I have changed my mind and would like to get
    more info, this is were i make say NO, but they have this
    habit of emailing it to me anyway, so will as little as
    possible to help them get business now,

    and no didn't double post on purpose, browser lagged and
    hit send button twice

    harryph, May 24, 2004
  6. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:28:49 -0600, "Ing. René Antón Castillo"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!!!
    >I want to know, what exams test is the best for prepare for the Microsoft
    >real exam ???
    >Transcender or Boson????
    >
    >Another question.....
    >What is the best IT certification MCSA/MCSE or CCNA???
    >
    >Regards

    Yes. To both questions.

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 24, 2004
  7. >I disagree. used in conjuction with other material, it test preps can be
    >a usefull learning tool. on their own however, they are pointless.

    The point is they do help people who do not understand the subject to
    pass, that to me is wrong.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 24, 2004
  8. >>I want to know, what exams test is the best for prepare for the Microsoft
    >>real exam ???
    >>Transcender or Boson????
    >>
    >>Another question.....
    >>What is the best IT certification MCSA/MCSE or CCNA???
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>

    >Yes. To both questions.

    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 24, 2004
  9. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    > The point is they do help people who do not understand the subject to
    > pass, that to me is wrong.

    then so do books, and trainers, and experience also teaches people who do
    not understand the subject. I agree, used on its own, just for the
    purposes of question memroization is _WRONG_. and usually not good enough
    from real world and barely enough for the test. I guess what I'm saying
    is that in conjunction with experience and study they have thier use. If
    there is something that I stumble across that I do not know, I then make
    it my business to find out. This is what I recommend to others. You and I
    did not start out knowing all the answers and I don't blame joe average
    for trying to find out what he might need help with and then studying up.
    Let me make the next point absolutely clear - I do _NOT_ condone
    braindumping. I do however think that there has always been a benefit in
    the "pop quiz" style of teaching and I think there is a difference
    between the 2.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 24, 2004
  10. >> The point is they do help people who do not understand the subject to
    >> pass, that to me is wrong.

    Maybe I'll rephrase my original comments above..... People can, and do
    pass who do NOT understand the subject, simply by using such
    'products'. This (to me anyway) shows a weakness in the certification
    process.

    >then so do books, and trainers, and experience also teaches people who do
    >not understand the subject. I agree, used on its own, just for the
    >purposes of question memroization is _WRONG_. and usually not good enough
    >from real world and barely enough for the test. I guess what I'm saying
    >is that in conjunction with experience and study they have thier use.

    Everyone does learn from others, whether that be from trainers, good
    books, documentation, etc. There are also those who don't learn from
    trainers, good books, documentation, etc and could still pass these
    types of exams by using such [pos quiz] products. That's the
    problem...

    It is all very well saying it's wrong, we all know that, so my 'real
    point' is how to stop it from happening. I've said before, there needs
    to be a more tougher certification process, in which clueless cannot
    succeed. Lab exams, written essay exams, prove of experience, etc all
    could play apart - As an example, I don't see too many people in the
    UK passing the Prince 2 practitioners exam who don't know their stuff.

    > If
    >there is something that I stumble across that I do not know, I then make
    >it my business to find out. This is what I recommend to others.

    Absolutely, as do all true IT professionals. It's what makes the
    industry fun to work in.
    ..
    >You and I
    >did not start out knowing all the answers and I don't blame joe average
    >for trying to find out what he might need help with and then studying up.
    >Let me make the next point absolutely clear - I do _NOT_ condone
    >braindumping.

    I know that, I never implied that.

    > I do however think that there has always been a benefit in
    >the "pop quiz" style of teaching and I think there is a difference
    >between the 2.

    Maybe for teaching, maybe... However, the exam should not be a 'pop
    quiz', that's may bug bare.

    Back to Prince 2, many people pass the foundation exam, which is like
    a 'pop quiz', many of them can't hack the practitioner's exam
    though...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 24, 2004
  11. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    >>> The point is they do help people who do not understand the subject
    >>> to pass, that to me is wrong.

    > Maybe I'll rephrase my original comments above..... People can, and do
    > pass who do NOT understand the subject, simply by using such
    > 'products'. This (to me anyway) shows a weakness in the certification
    > process.

    I think we are on the same wavelength here but I think losers will be
    able to accomplish their end (pass the test without much knowledge)
    without a Transcender. I also think that there is a problem with the exam
    process but I am not sure there is a quick fix. Also the HR driods (the
    whole IT industry really) are partially to blame for this. If the
    certifiaction held _less_ importance than experience we might not be in
    this boat. It would be nice to see a requirement of a minimum of 1 year
    industry experience before you can register for an MS exam. stop the
    career jumpers.

    <stuff snipped since we agree>

    > It is all very well saying it's wrong, we all know that, so my 'real
    > point' is how to stop it from happening. I've said before, there needs
    > to be a more tougher certification process, in which clueless cannot
    > succeed. Lab exams, written essay exams, prove of experience, etc all
    > could play apart - As an example, I don't see too many people in the
    > UK passing the Prince 2 practitioners exam who don't know their stuff.

    oh, then you go and say the same thing. While I'm all for the improved
    testing recommendations you suggest, we had better be prepared for the
    down side of this. We will turn from the compaints of "Paper Certs" to
    the huge cost of the certification. So long as the exams are computer
    based, cheaters will have an in. If we moved to proctored exams, the
    quality of exams will increase and so will the price. I have also seen
    test prep materials for CCIE exams (even though they would be limited
    help on the final exam) and I don't think anyone would feel that this
    exam is not tough enough. I cannot speak to the PRINCE 2 exams, but I
    will bet there will eventually be prep materials for this as well.

    > Absolutely, as do all true IT professionals. It's what makes the
    > industry fun to work in.

    it's the best. some new thing that I just have to rip apart and figure
    out will keep me interested for days.

    <more stuff snipped since we agree>

    >> I do however think that there has always been a benefit in
    >>the "pop quiz" style of teaching and I think there is a difference
    >>between the 2.

    > Maybe for teaching, maybe... However, the exam should not be a 'pop
    > quiz', that's may bug bare.
    >
    > Back to Prince 2, many people pass the foundation exam, which is like
    > a 'pop quiz', many of them can't hack the practitioner's exam
    > though...

    and any test prep wouldn't help them.

    Ok, so for the most part we are in agreement. NOW LEEME ALONE, and let me
    finish my long weekend...

    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  12. > I cannot speak to the PRINCE 2 exams, but I
    >will bet there will eventually be prep materials for this as well.

    Any prep materials would be useless unless you actually understood the
    topics, which cannot be said for the ms exams.

    * I can't see too many people passing this type of exam because: -

    * You can only take the exams at certain times of the year.

    * The exam changes each time.

    * The [practitioners] exam is a three hour written exam, in which you
    not only lose marks for supplying incorrect information towards your
    answers, but also lose marks for supplying meaningless/irellivent
    information towards your answers.

    * The examination/training process is regulated by Prince 2 accredited
    companies.

    As far as cost's go, well so what if it costs a lot more to get ms
    certified, if that certification actual carried some value with it,
    everyone should be for it, except cobol, kellyme, don, eddiepox, wrong
    - see what I mean!

    Now get your lazyass back into to the garden!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  13. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    > Now get your lazyass back into to the garden!!!

    NO! I'm at work and they would fire me for that....

    I'm keepin' my lazyass were it is...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  14. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    > As far as cost's go, well so what if it costs a lot more to get ms
    > certified, if that certification actual carried some value with it,

    I agree, but since this will drop off the number of Micro$oft Certified
    Sales Evangelists, it is unlikely that MS will do it. There are other
    agendas than our own at play...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  15. >> Now get your lazyass back into to the garden!!!

    >NO! I'm at work and they would fire me for that....

    C'MON STRAIN A BIT!!!!!!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  16. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    > C'MON STRAIN A BIT!!!!!!!!

    ***YAWN***

    (you can tell it's teh first day back after a long weekend)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  17. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    beekay Guest

    I used Transcenders pretty extensively preparing for some of the 2000 exams.
    I didn't actually use them for simulated exams - I just printed out all the
    questions and then researched (books, lab, and real-world) them until I
    thought I knew and understood the answers. Then I looked at their actual
    answers and studied them. The advantage of them is that they are pretty
    comprehensive and help you focus on Microsoft's exam goals - which may or
    may not correspond to your actual work or student experience. You can
    organize the questions by topic and they can help you spot weak points. I
    found them to be a great way to organize my studying and home lab work. I
    don't know if they are as helpful for the 2003 exams, since I haven't seen
    them yet. My measure of their usefulness is that I passed the 70-240 exam
    after several months of using them to guide my study. The point is to study
    the topics and answers that they relate to, rather than just memorize them.
    The main thing you have to do is learn how to think this stuff out.
    Transcenders can help guide you through that, if you use them properly.

    CCNA - one test, not so hard, probably not that useful for jobs by itself,
    but useful information.
    MCSA - a few tests. MS's way to make more money and keep high numbers in the
    cert business.
    MCSE - a lot of tests. Probably the most useful, but also the most work.
    Will prepare you the most for a job, and may make a difference. But I am
    not an evangelist about it.

    By the way, my spell checker tries to replace "transcender" with
    "transgender" - don't confuse those two things. That would be different news
    group, and the certification exam would be different.

    -Bruce Kimball, MCSE NT & 2000, CCNA, etc

    beekay, May 27, 2004
  18. Ing. René Antón Castillo

    Neil Guest

    "beekay" <> wrote in

    > The point is to study
    > the topics and answers that they relate to, rather than just memorize
    > them. The main thing you have to do is learn how to think this stuff
    > out.

    well said. The certification process should be valuable to you and your
    employer after you have completed the tests as well

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 27, 2004
  19. >> The point is to study
    >> the topics and answers that they relate to, rather than just memorize
    >> them. The main thing you have to do is learn how to think this stuff
    >> out.

    >well said. The certification process should be valuable to you and your
    >employer after you have completed the tests as well

    a man with a future, maybe...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004