Transcender let me down on 70-340

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by philips, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. philips

    philips Guest

    Just got back from taking Microsoft's MCSD.Net exam 70-340; bombed it
    with a 580. I had been studying Transcender's exam kit, know and
    understand all questions on it and can pass it easily.

    Transcender didn't mention anything about .Net's NamedPermissionSets
    such as "LocalIntranet". There goes one...

    Transcender did mention using a SQL Server application role - so
    that's the one I picked. WRONG! As my newly purchased TestKing points
    out: I was suppose to use SQL Server Integrated security.

    Transcender had nothing about RSACryptoServiceProvider.VerifyData().
    Got that one wrong to.

    Transcender had nothing about developing a fancy encryption algorithm
    using the RNGCryptoServiceProvider.GetBytes() and
    FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile(). I guessed
    wrong again.

    Transcender had nothing about creating the event log source in the
    installer class of the application. Wrong again.

    Transcender had nothing about HTTPContext.Current.User.IsInRole() -
    NOTHING! Another one WRONG.

    Transcender did mention ContextUtil.IsCallerInRole() so I picked it.
    WRONG!

    Transcender said nothing about using the runas command to run a
    compiled app from the command line.

    Here's part of a question from 70-340 which I just don't get.
    (...Logon() returns 0 if incorrect pwd, 1 if incorrect user name, and
    2 if all OK.). You're suppose to pick the most secure code. I picked
    the bottom algorithm but the correct answer is the top. Anyone know
    why the top is better?

    if(Logon() !=2)
    {
    MessageBox.Show("UserName or Password was incorrect.");
    EndApp();
    }
    else
    {
    MessageBox.Show("Welcome!");
    }

    -----------------------------

    int logonresult = Logon();
    if(logonresult ==2)
    {
    MessageBox.Show("Welcome!");
    }
    else
    {
    MessageBox.Show("UserName or Password was incorrect.");
    EndApp();
    }
    -----------------------------

    And this next question also makes by blood boil:
    They give you an alogrithm and say that sometimes if fails. They
    specify that you're a developer (not a SQL admin). What should you
    do? Here's the alogrithm:

    userinput = GetUserInput()
    if((userinput < -32767) || (userinput > 32767)) {
    MessageBox.Show("Input is out of range.");
    }
    else {
    //Call SQL stored proc to save input
    SateToSQL(userinput);
    }

    They don't show you the stored proc code at all. Then they list some
    choices of which the answer is:
    ANSWER: Modify the stored proc so the input parameter is a smallint.

    What the F...? This makes no sense!

    I'm demanding a refund from Transcender tomorrow. And am contacting MS
    about these questions.
    philips, Mar 2, 2007