Transcender is Endorsed by Microsoft

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Wrong.
    MeasureUp and SelfTest are the only endorsed providers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcpexams/prepare/practicetests.asp

    Some of those who use Transcender swear by them, claim they are not dumps,
    but provide no explanations of why Transcender tests are worth 3 times as
    much as other test providers. Sounds like a dump of the questions to me!

    [DllImport\(\MCSD.dll\,EntryPoint=\PassTests\\)], Sep 11, 2003

  3. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Please claim as to why the other two practice test providers are better.

    MeasureUp Exams are $67.00 a piece while ST Software exams are $99.00 a
    piece.
    Transcenders are 149.00 a piece. It doesn't appear that you can get either
    of the endorsed products at a third of the cost of Transcender.

    If you have ever used Transcenders, you'd realize they are not a dump of the
    questions. You get what you pay for. BTW - if you check the price of typical
    braindumps, they are typically much cheaper (sometimes free) than any
    practice tests you can purchase.

    I was once asked by SelfTest Software to write test questions for content on
    their MCSD.NET exams. Unfortunately, I could not afford to create quality
    test questions based upon what they were willing to pay me. I wanted to
    created questions that would make Transcender shudder, but simply could not.

    Rule #1 - You get what you pay for.

    I was hoping to get a response from someone at Microsoft explaining why they
    consider the use of Transcenders as cheating and why they are not endorsed
    but it did not work.

    Please P/Invoke your thoughts.

    Thanks.
    Davin Mickelson

    "[DllImport("MCSD.dll",EntryPoint="PassTests")]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Ditto... Couldn't agree with you more Davin (this rambling is not directed
    at you BTW). The nice thing about the Transcenders is that they give great
    references and explanations to the questions. NOT just answers. I trust and
    use them (as any other professional that uses them does) as a final review
    after studying and working with the technologies, to prepare and get into
    the "mind-set" of the exam. Not as a "dump". I need to know the technologies
    and how to use them, not just the answers. Just answers don't fly with my
    clients. Results do.

    Sometimes "knowing" the information from hands-on and book study, is NOT
    enough to pass an exam. Oh I can hear it now from the naysayers, "if you
    really know the material, you don't need the practice exams". Ya, right. Not
    sure about others, but sometimes the wording on the exams can be less than
    obvious and purposely tricky. Sometimes, you need to not only know the
    material, but also how to "play" the game; i.e., how to apply your knowledge
    in the context of the exam. This is hardly cheating. Would you call a golfer
    who practices on a similar course to the one he's going to compete on the
    following week cheating? I don't think so... You'd call it preparation. Of
    course if you want, you could always keep taking the real exams until you
    pass. I don't think Microsoft considers this cheating.

    One last note on the cost of the Transcenders. They have multi-paks which
    help defray the cost. But most importantly, once you're a customer, you get
    discounts on subsequent purchases and beta or new exams. The cost for most
    of these are about $99 or $129, so I'm not sure how anyone can claim that
    they are that much more than any other exam. I've been a Transcender
    customer since '96 when I got my first MCSD, and on average, I'd have to
    guess that I haven't paid more than about $100 a practice exam. I took my
    14th MS exam yesterday, the 70-300, and I've passed every exam the first
    time around. I work with the technologies every day, and read books,
    articles, MSDN constantly and I have to admit, I don't think I would pass
    the real exams the first time around without the Transcenders. NOT because I
    don't know the material, but rather because the format, wording and strategy
    of the exams can be tricky until you get your mind into that mode; like I
    said, "playing the exam game" is how I look at it.

    Just my $.02...

    --
    Leigh Kendall, MCSD, MCDBA

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Davin Mickelson

    Rich Guest

    Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    OK, fine, let's assume you're correct: Transcenders are
    not a dump of test questions. So, what are they?

    From what I've been able to learn, you get a simulation of
    the cert test - same number of questions, same time limit,
    purportedly the same difficulty, same subject matter, etc.

    I agree - deriving a set of truly valid test questions
    (not subject to interpretation, conjecture, etc.), is much
    harder than it looks. And than add to that the fact that
    the simulation has to be truly representative of the real
    exam, and you're talking about a product that would be
    pretty expensive to develop.

    But I have yet to hear anyone say that Transcender really
    posesses that kind of quality. Why should I trust it?

    One thing is clear to me: There's plenty of books, study
    guides, courses, practice tests out there and a lot of
    what I've seen is junk. Personally, I think there's too
    many people trying to do the same thing and there probably
    isn't enough money in it for anybody to do a really
    credible job.

    Maybe Transcender is a cut above the rest...but I'm still
    not convinced.

    Just one opinion, of course.

    message

    Rich, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    > OK, fine, let's assume you're correct: Transcenders are
    > not a dump of test questions. So, what are they?

    Exam preparation, just like they're slogan says... (BTW, I have no
    affiliation with Transcender outside of being a loyal customer).

    > Maybe Transcender is a cut above the rest...but I'm still
    > not convinced.

    Have you ever used them for exam prep? If you have, you would probably
    better appreciate their value. If you haven't, then all you can do is
    hypothesize.

    They've been in business for a long time. They must be doing something right
    to be able to turn a profit and keep the lights on... I know that I for one,
    wouldn't have remained a customer for 6 years and 14 exams if they were
    junk. Like Davin said, "you get what you pay for". You don't get Mercedes
    quality at a Yugo price. Right, Yugo is no longer around...

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Rich, at the risk of sounding like a commercial, try them out:
    http://www.transcender.com/company/policy.asp?id=3
    If you don't pass after using their product, you get a refund because they
    are guaranteed.

    Transcender continues to raise the bar for the other practice test
    providers. Get your company to pay for them.

    Download samples from the practice test companies and compare for yourself.

    I appreciate your opinion. Substantiate it with proof.

    Good luck to you in your certification pursuits.
    Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Ummm, go to MeasureUp.com -- $44 each for the tests. Cheapest at
    Transcender -- $139. That means Transcender costs 3.16 times as much as
    MeasureUp.

    Rule #1 - "You get what you paid for"; that is certainly true in anything.
    You are saying that a Transcender test is worth the price of 3 good books or
    3 of most other practice exams. How on earth can it be worth so much unless
    it is giving you the answers on a silver platter?

    BTW, why the heck did you start this thread in the first place if you
    already know the answer to what you were asking?

    [DllImport\(\MCSD.dll\,EntryPoint=\PassTests\\)], Sep 11, 2003
  9. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    " I appreciate your opinion. Substantiate it with proof." -- I downloaded
    the sample from Transcender for an exam that I already took and passed with
    the assistance of MeasureUp's practice test (70-315), so I could do a direct
    comparison.
    In the practice exam the questions are about the same quality as the
    MeasureUp questions. There is actually MUCH LESS explanation of the answers
    than with MeasureUp, but the Transcender links to study materials appear
    more complete.

    One difference I immediately saw -- out of 14 questions on the Transcender
    demo exam, 3 of them were basically word-for-word the same as actual
    questions I had on the real exam.

    It appears there is absolutely nothing to substantiate why Transcender costs
    3 times as much except for the fact that some of the questions are directly
    off the exam, judging solely from this comparison. If they make it a habit
    to use exact copies of the real exam questions it is extremely easy to see
    why they aren't certified by Microsoft!

    [DllImport\(\MCSD.dll\,EntryPoint=\PassTests\\)], Sep 11, 2003
  10. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    I asked this question from the group in hopes to coerce a response from
    someone on the Microsoft Cert team. Previously, I have received responses
    from these individuals on this newsgroup stating that using Transcenders is
    cheating and I was hoping one of them would be brave enough to speak up with
    specific reasoning as to how and why their use is cheating.

    What is this about Transcender being "answers on a silver platter"? I want
    to understand why you think high quality questions, descriptive answers and
    reasons to the answers pointing to locations inside MSDN and TechNet is
    "answers on a silver platter". Please embellish.
    In my opinion, I perceive braindumps as being "answers on a silver platter".

    If you prefer to use books instead of practice exams, go for it. In my
    opinion, I would need at least three books to cover everything in a
    Transcender practice exam.

    Thanks for your feedback,

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003
  11. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Those are interesting results.

    Transcender has been around much longer than MeasureUp and can be considered
    the Cadillac of practice tests. STSWare has been around quite awhile but
    hasn't beefed up their quality up until recently.

    I just don't believe using Transcenders is cheating while using the MCPTP
    exams is not.

    It seems that your real complaint is the cost. I agree - it's expensive.

    Keep in mind that it is excellent marketing to have your business advertised
    on Microsoft's web site. If I were to start a practice exam company,
    becoming an MCPTP would be a top priority. For Transcender, they don't need
    to. Their reputation speaks for itself.

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Of course, Lotus 123, WordStar, and WordPerfect were once the cadillac of
    their fields and rode on their reputations, too.

    You still keep asking others to prove why Transcenders is not worth 3 times
    as much as other test providers but don't supply anything but your own
    opinion as to why they are worth it. Have you used any of the other
    practice test providers? If not, how can you substantiate your claim that
    Transcenders is worth so much?

    [DllImport\(\MCSD.dll\,EntryPoint=\PassTests\\)], Sep 11, 2003
  13. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    My experience with the other two PTPs is as follows:

    When I used an STSWare exam, the questions were quite short (hardly story
    problems) with four multiple choice answers. The questions were easier than
    the real exam and the graphics were of lower quality than Transcender.

    When I tried a MeasureUp exam, the questions were harder than the real exam
    but were based on useless information (Example: what is the largest font you
    can used in Visual Interdev?) that do not come up in the real exam.
    Admittedly, I experienced this during the first year of MeasureUp's
    existence.

    I will also admit this - it's been awhile since I've strayed away from
    Transcender simply due to my satisfaction with the product. When something
    works, don't mess with it.

    All I can state is my opinion based on my experiences. I do not wish to sway
    others with hearsay or advertising.

    I am not asking others to provide reasons for Transcender's cost. I'm asking
    Microsoft employees (are you?) for a detailed explanation of why they think
    using Transcender is cheating.

    I am impressed that MeasureUp also has a money-back guarantee.

    Sincerely,

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 11, 2003
  14. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Davin-

    Has Microsoft (or it's employees) actually made the statement or given the
    impression that using Transcender exams is the equivalent of cheating?

    If so, when? And what was their argument, since they themselves endorse a
    couple of their competitors. I can't see how they can endorse MeasureUp and
    others, but in the same breath condemn Transcender (if they did).

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 12, 2003
  15. Re: Transcender is NOT Endorsed by Microsoft - Why??

    Yes. I did some looking back to may 28th. Here's one gentleman from
    Microsoft (not part of the MS Cert Team) stating they are cheat sheets. I
    followed it with my response.

    I believe it happened one other time with a leader from the Microsoft Cert
    team a month or two later but cannot find it.

    Davin Mickelson

    Transcript:
    Message 3 in thread
    From: Davin ()
    Subject: Re: Want to Buy Transcender 70-306

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: Microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd
    Date: 2003-05-28 14:26:38 PST

    Hi.
    I find it interesting that Scott considers one of MCP Magazine's (magazine
    is owned and controlled by Microsoft) top sponsors as a "cheat sheet"
    provider.

    I was under the assumption that Transcender was not a Microsoft Certified
    Practice Test Provider (MCPTP) because of their choice not to pay Microsoft
    for the advertising/sales leads from the MS "TrainCert" web site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcpexams/prepare/practicetests.asp

    I don't know the facts. I don't work for either company.

    Davin Mickelson

    "Scott Moore [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Legitimate use of Transcender is sort of an oxymoron. They are cheat
    > sheets, and MS doesn't endorse them at all.
    >

    > --
    > Scott Moore
    > Microsoft Corp. - OEM Mobile Devices TAM
    >
    > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no

    rights.

    "Leigh Kendall" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > > Microsoft employees (are you?) for a detailed explanation of why they

    > think
    > > using Transcender is cheating.
    > >
    > > I am impressed that MeasureUp also has a money-back guarantee.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Davin Mickelson
    > >
    > > "[DllImport("MCSD.dll",EntryPoint="PassTests")]" <>

    > wrote
    > > in message news:...
    > > > Of course, Lotus 123, WordStar, and WordPerfect were once the cadillac

    > of
    > > > their fields and rode on their reputations, too.
    > > >
    > > > You still keep asking others to prove why Transcenders is not worth 3

    > > times
    > > > as much as other test providers but don't supply anything but your own
    > > > opinion as to why they are worth it. Have you used any of the other
    > > > practice test providers? If not, how can you substantiate your claim

    <>

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 12, 2003
  16. Davin Mickelson

    Eric Engler Guest

    >Some of those who use Transcender swear by them, claim they are not dumps,
    >but provide no explanations of why Transcender tests are worth 3 times as
    >much as other test providers. Sounds like a dump of the questions to me!

    Transcenders are NOT dumps. I like the excellent explanations of right
    and wrong answers they provide. They help you learn the key words and
    phrases that you need!

    Eric Engler, Oct 3, 2003
  17. Davin Mickelson

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >They help you learn the key words and
    >phrases that you need!

    .... Without actual understanding the questions....

    Kline Sphere, Oct 4, 2003