Training providers in the UK

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Ed, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hello all -

    I'd like to get the MCSD .NET certification, and I'd be interested in
    hearing whether anyone in the group has any recommendations for training
    providers in the UK.

    My requirements are quite specific, in that I'm a freelance contractor,
    so I have no corporate training budget to spend - I've got to pay for
    everything myself, and obviously it also means that I'm not earning
    money while I'm studying. I also find it difficult to motivate myself
    with just dry books!

    I'm already an experienced programmer, so what I'm looking for is a
    quality training provider that can help me get the certification as
    quickly as possible, and at a sensible price. Ideally, purely
    instructor-led, or otherwise using good interactive CD-ROM-based
    training materials with some kind of instructor-led 'boot camp' session.

    If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, I'd be really grateful to hear
    them!

    Cheers
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2005

  2. I am not in the UK but I can tell you I became MCAD by reading books I could
    buy at my bookstore (Borders has the best selection for computer books).

    The entire cost of my MCAD cost about as much as one college class (around
    -$1000) including test prices.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Sean wrote:
    > I am not in the UK but I can tell you I became MCAD by reading books I could
    > buy at my bookstore (Borders has the best selection for computer books).
    >
    > The entire cost of my MCAD cost about as much as one college class (around
    > -$1000) including test prices.

    Hi Sean -

    Thanks for your message.

    I've already got a couple of the MS training books... They seem good,
    but I find that I never get around to studying them properly.

    What I really need is something to enable me to motivate myself better
    to take time out from work, study without distraction, and just get it done!

    Cheers
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2005
  4. I can understand that and sorry I mentioned Borders bookstore while being a
    stupid American that I am and forgetting Borders might not be where you live!

    What I need is someone I can call and ask questions when I need. That would
    be a great human resource for me.

    I self study at home (between semesters at school) and basically log my time
    studying but it takes me literally all day to get 7 hours in (my daily quota)
    because of extended breaks. I am going to start going to the library as if
    its a job.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Aug 11, 2005
  5. ICS the Learn from home company do it
    Plus if you look on the Internet there are companies that offer training
    over two weeks but if you read the microsoft material then it should put you
    in good stead for the exams which you book through prometric ok

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Ed

    LBO Guest

    Ed,
    Would *strongly* suggest http://www.trainingcamp.co.uk/ to fulfill your
    requirement. Ideal situation, great instructors, etc. It's a place where
    you actually retain sincere knowledge *and* potentially (depends on you)
    pass the exams. Best program I've seen in the UK by far! *Very* focused on
    learning the technology and not just passing the exams.

    As you've stated, you already have a clue and need a place where you can
    concentrate and "get the job done", this is it. As you're a freelance
    contractor, I'd suggest signing-up for the MCAD (one week) track and do the
    second half (another week) the next month to finish the MCSD. Contact the
    folks @ TrainingCamp and see if there are any promotions and/or discounts
    available.

    Cheers

    LBO, Sep 14, 2005