Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. I have decided to study for and pursue the MCSE certification for the Windows
    Server 2003 track. Due to severe financial constraints, (I am currently
    "between jobs"), I must operate on a very limited income. I can't afford to
    pay for expensive classroom instruction, or $10,000.00 to attend a boot camp.

    I have just started reading Martin S. Matthews book: "Windows Server 2003: A
    Beginner's Guide," but I realize that I am going to need more than just this
    one resource in order to take (and pass) the exams. Specifically, I realize
    that I am going to need to get "intimately familiar" with the OS itself - by
    working with either an actual copy of the OS or some type of "software
    simulation" of the OS that can run on my computer. (I am running Windows XP
    Professional, SP2 on my box.) I also have a separate notebook computer which
    I could "wipe," install a new OS on, and use solely for training purposes -
    which might be the best way to go about this.

    Are any of you aware if Microsoft has a "training" (or "student") version of
    Windows Server 2003 that has been specifically designed to help facilitate
    MCSE training? I have come across an "eLearning" Microsoft web site where
    you can purchase interactive "software simulation" training modules for
    various Microsoft products - including, (I think), the Windows Server 2003
    OS. Have any of you used Microsoft's "eLearning" software for MCSE training?
    Are these "eLearning" modules a good alternative to plunking down several
    hundred (or even up to a thousand dollars?) for a copy of Windows Server 2003?

    I described my situation to an MCSE I met in the computer book section of my
    local Barnes & Noble bookseller. He recommended I contact a company called
    VMWare (http://www.VMWare.com) which (he said) sold "virtual server" software
    that could be used for interactive training. I sent them an email, but they
    never responded. (I got the impression that the VMWare folks were more
    interested in large business acccounts rather than a small individual like me
    ....)

    I think it is important that I have either an actual working copy of Windows
    Server 2003, (or some type of close simulation of it), to go along with my
    book learning. This is the first time I have attempted to obtain a
    certification. I sense that it is very important that I know how to
    [quickly] navigate my way through all the various drop down menus and be able
    to accomplish tasks as quickly (and efficiently) as possible. To pass the
    exams, I believe I will need to be so familiar with the OS that I can do
    things almost without thinking - as if it's a reflex action. (I know if I
    sit down to take the exam(s) and I have to pause to think for more than a
    minute, then I'm probably in trouble.) To obtain that kind of familiarity
    with the OS, I'm going to need a copy (or a virtual copy) of the OS that I
    can actually use and work with.

    Any suggestions any of you can offer, (including books and/or online
    resources) will be greatly appreciated. (If you prefer, feel free to contact
    me directly at my email address: .) In the meantime I
    will continue reading Martin Matthews book and trying to figure all this out.

    TIA,

    Alan C. Lawhon
    Huntsville, Alabama

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=, Nov 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Thor Guest

    Hi.
    First google (or wikipedia)
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows Server 2003 Evaluation

    might give results like:

    Evaluation...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/privacy.mspx

    ....or ready to run in the free Virtual Server
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Server)
    image:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx
    (You want to ensure you have enough RAM)
    I particulary like the possibility of setting up virtual networks in Virtual
    server: first set up the loopback adapter on the host (if you have only one
    adapter)

    Hope this helps, and good luck
    53

    Thor, Nov 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Thor Guest

    Podcast

    If I was getting into this biz today (I'm kinda seasoned) I would try these,
    too:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/podcasts/
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/webcasts/ondemand.mspx (marked technet)
    ....and many more, and just because I think I'm the top of the cherry I still
    use these myself
    53

    Thor, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Thor:

    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I will
    follow up on all the URLs you provided. (This is very helpful.) Thanks
    again!

    Alan C. Lawhon

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Microsoft Technet Plus. Best dollars I have spent when I was working on my
    certs. Great tool for their products and you also get the OS'es without
    limitations. I also used Transcenders and Testout. You can get this done
    for a lot less then 10K though. You will have to invest some time. I would
    definitely get some PCs and get some hands on time because the reads are
    good but the screen time is better.

    Rob

    On 11/12/06 2:12 AM, in article
    , "Alan C. Lawhon" <Alan

    Robert B Dubrey IV, Nov 13, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Guest Guest

    What do you mean by "definitely get some PCs"? You're not suggesting he set
    up a network of PCs in his home, are you? I mean, that's all fine & dandy IF
    that's what he would normally have (I have a network of PCs in my home), but
    to unnecessarily set up a network of PCs in ones home JUST to practice for
    exams is...well, unnecessary. Microsoft has a couple of tools (well, there
    are probably 1000s of tools working there) but two in particular that were
    designed for the student. They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
    run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all from your
    ONE desktop.

    HTH

    HAND

    --
    CertGuard
    You think you know IT?!

    Guest, Nov 13, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::

    > They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
    > run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all
    > from your ONE desktop.

    um, well, I'm gonna disagree with you here. Maybe 4 or 5 if you have like 2
    Gb of RAM, but 100s? no, I don't think so. If the compuker is an Opteron
    with 128Gb of RAM you might get 100, but not "100s"...

    ....and you would still need the disk space...

    but this would help:

    http://tinyurl.com/ym7y7q

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Robert B Dubrey IV <> say in

    > Great tool for their products and you also get the OS'es without
    > limitations.

    not entirely true. You might want to re-read that EULA

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - Software is the part of the computer you can't kick.

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Guest Guest

    > did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::
    >
    >> They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
    >> run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all
    >> from your ONE desktop.
    >>

    > um, well, I'm gonna disagree with you here. Maybe 4 or 5 if you have like
    > 2
    > Gb of RAM, but 100s? no, I don't think so. If the compuker is an Opteron
    > with 128Gb of RAM you might get 100, but not "100s"...
    >
    > ...and you would still need the disk space...

    Well thank you Mr. Precise! ;)

    I don't recall saying anything about running them all at one time, but ok.

    > but this would help:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ym7y7q

    Neil, your links ALWAYS help. Thankee sir ;)

    Guest, Nov 13, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::

    > Well thank you Mr. Precise! ;)

    I prefer "Mr. Pedantic"

    > I don't recall saying anything about running them all at one time, but
    > ok.

    I think it was implied since it was not specifically indicated otherwise.

    ....now bookmark that RSS feed...Rod is my hero (he screwed over K-mart)...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - Quick, I need a tagline...let me steal yours!

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Consultant Guest

    i suggest you forget about the mcse and microsft altogether. lantastic is
    the next wave, catch it!

    Consultant, Nov 13, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >i suggest you forget about the mcse and microsft altogether. lantastic is
    >the next wave, catch it!

    I guess you're one of these here techno freaks.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Nov 13, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Consultant Guest

    yes, i love the techno dance!

    Consultant, Nov 13, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    >i suggest you forget about the mcse and microsft altogether. lantastic is
    >the next wave, catch it!

    Oddly enough, we used to use a networking system that was very close in name
    to a certain MCNGPer: CBIS

    Frisbee®, Nov 13, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Jtyc Guest

    Jtyc, Nov 13, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >> yes, i love the techno dance!
    >
    >http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html

    people don't seem to understand that techo has a whole new inner
    meaning when you're high on crack, so I'm told.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Nov 13, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Guest Guest

    > did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::
    >
    >> Well thank you Mr. Precise! ;)

    > I prefer "Mr. Pedantic"

    Ok, Mr. Pedo...something

    >> I don't recall saying anything about running them all at one time, but
    >> ok.

    > I think it was implied since it was not specifically indicated otherwise.

    Ahhhhh, yes, ok, I understand now.

    > ...now bookmark that RSS feed...Rod is my hero (he screwed over K-mart)...

    Got it ;)

    Guest, Nov 13, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::

    > Got it ;)

    doubt it, but you have my e-mail addy if you want teh full story (as I know
    it)

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - The UARTs won't take this speed, Captain.

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <CertGuard> say in news::

    >> I prefer "Mr. Pedantic"
    >>

    > Ok, Mr. Pedo...something

    odd how these things occur. That would NOT be my philia of choice;

    http://www.shoot-to-thrill.com/fetishes.html

    I like Hodophilia, just so I can tour the world...

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Jtyc" <> say in news:#Tt4TI0BHHA.5068
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html

    I'm starting a light-switch rave right now....

    ....ladies free before 10

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - WOMAN.ZIP....Great program, but no documentation!

    Neil, Nov 13, 2006