    anybody know if they're the same ones I'd get if I bought them from
    MeasureUp. I don't want to buy another practice test if I don't need to but
    I don't want to be under prepared either so if I need to I will.

    Julia B, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Julia B,

    Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
    me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
    have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
    book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
    content in the book.
    Any response would be helpful

    BoardingBrandon, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Julia B

    Julia B Guest

    "BoardingBrandon" wrote:

    > Julia B,
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
    > me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
    > have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
    > book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
    > content in the book.
    > Any response would be helpful

    I used the MSPress book. But mine was older. It was the white one with the
    guy sitting at the computer on the cover. I believe there is a newer version
    out now. Mine wasn't one of the reengineered versions. The reengineered
    version with the blue cover is probably better. The book I'm studying from
    now for 290 is the Microsoft Press book. It's blue and on the back says it
    fully reengineered. So far this book seems to be designed better. Also, I
    did get a lot of information from the XP Resource Kit on the Microsoft
    website. I got way more information from it than I got from the book. There
    were a few topics that I had wanted to go back and review but I ran out of
    time. Oh well, I passed. The whole time I was taking it I thought I was
    going to fail. I was really nervous though. It was my first Microsof exam.

    Julia B, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Hello, Julia.

    I passed six exams in all. I did always use Microsoft Press books for
    preparation (with blue cover) and I'm very satisfied with these books. If
    you'll read and understand all of the content from "Read at you own pace"
    section, I believe your attempt to pass 70-290 will be successful.

    Andrey Ivanov, Mar 9, 2006
  5. I think that's great! I will be taking my first exam (270) in early May. I'm
    already anxious. What type of job are you doing now? Did you take the test to
    advance your carrier? If so, did your achievement go unnoticed, or were you
    rewarded? Good luck on your next exam and keep me posted.

    BoardingBrandon, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Julia B

    Julia B Guest

    I'm a network technician/system administrator for a fairly large company with
    approximately 400 locations. I've been in IT for about 7 years. I've been
    wanting to get my certifications since I graduated from college in 2000 but
    finding the time or money was hard since I'm a single parent. Last year we
    completely re-engineered the network. We moved from NT server to 2003 and
    are now on Active Directory. It's great. I think what motivated me to
    finally get with it and get certified is that I'd reached a point where there
    was no more room for advancement without getting certified. Also, I'm really
    excited about the conversion to active directory and want to learn as much as
    I can. Our CIO called me and congratulated me on passing the test and told
    me he was proud of me and asked what the next exam was and what my next
    certification would be. He's real big on certifications. I plan to get my
    MCSA and then keep going and get my MCSE. Then I'd like to get my CCA. I
    don't really expect to see a raise in pay until I have my MCSA. I hope to
    take this second exam in May. I'm taking the class for it the first week in
    May. My company is paying for that. I've already started studying. This
    weekend I'm going to load up my Windows Server 2003 study server. :) Good
    luck on your exam.

    Are you already in IT?

    Julia B, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Julia B

    Julia B Guest

    Cool, thanks! These newer Microsoft Press books with the blue cover do seem
    to be better than the older ones.

    Julia B, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Julia B

    Paul UK Guest

    Hi Julia,

    congrats on you 70-270 MCP, I found that exam more difficult than expected,
    70-290 was easier than expected. the only diff between the two was "Terminal
    Serives" and there was only a couple of questions on that. I use MS Press
    and Sybex for my study materials. if your doing the training course aswell,
    you should be fine. 70-291 is a tuff one "be prepared" if you have any more
    q's, ask.

    good luck, its worth is in the end...
    --
    Thanks

    Paul...
    ---------
    MCP
    MCDST
    MCSA

    Working on:
    MCSE
    MCDBA

    Paul UK, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Congrats on the 270 pass. I'm preparing for the 290. I've taken about 12 MS
    exams and never liked a one...lol.

    I recently took and passed the 271 and 272 in about 3 to 4 weeks study and
    passwed both first time...thank goodness.

    I'll post when I take the 290 my result.

    Also I recommend to all getting the transcenders as well as the books.
    These really help me prepare for what's to come on the exam. The last two
    exams I took I felt pretty comfortable all the way through. When I take a
    exam w/o the transcenders I'm a nervous freak.

    Paul in Texas
    once certified MCSE NT 4, MCSA 2000, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, CNE 3.12, CNA
    3.12/4.11 hmm did i leave anything out...lol

    Pablo the once was MCSE, Mar 10, 2006
  10. Julia B

    JFresh Guest

    Hi Julia,

    I am currently studying for the 270 exam and was wondering if you could
    provide some insight on it.

    Did you also use the measure Up practice test that came with the book?
    That's the one I'm currently using as well and I have the MSPress book with
    the blue cover. Around what scores were you getting on your practice tests
    before you took the plunge?

    Finally, was your exam all multiple choice or was it a mix of different
    types of questions? I've heard it can be either but was just curious. Also,
    if anyone has a definitive answer as to what kind of questions to expect on
    the exam that woudl be helpful too =).

    Also, I tried the SelfTest software practice questions and got the "study
    guide" along with it. Personally I really didn't like them. All the questions
    were multiple choice and were so very specific that I ended up getting a
    bunch wrong. When I sat down to read the study guide I saw that the study
    guide is basically a cheat sheet to their exam. If anyone else is reading
    this has your experience been similar to mine as far as the SelfTest exams
    go?

    Thanks for all your help Julia!

    JFresh

    JFresh, Mar 14, 2006
  11. Julia B

    Julia B Guest

    I had the older White version of that book so I didn't get a free practice
    test with mine. I did buy the Measure Up Practice test from the Measure Up
    website though. The night before my exam I got a 93 in Cert Mode. Before
    that I had been getting between 78 - 83 on the practice test in Certification
    Mode and 90 in study mode. I scored 763 on the exam. That was too close for
    comfort. On this next one I'm going to wait until I score 100 several times
    on the practice test ... or at least am consistently scoring in the upper 90s
    on the practice test in Certification Mode. The format on the practice test
    was accurate. The test I took was all multiple choice. I'm not sure if they
    have different versions of that exam or not.

    Julia B, Mar 15, 2006
  12. Julia B

    JFresh Guest

    Thanks Julia! I really appreciate the input. Well, I guess I have to hit the
    books a bit more before I take it as I'm currently in the 80's in Cert Mode.
    Again thanks for all your help =).

    JFresh

    JFresh, Mar 15, 2006