    soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and then
    discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?
    Louis
    Louis, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Louis

    Richard Guest

    Louis wrote:

    > I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What
    > is my
    > potential customer looking for? So I can provide what they want if it
    > is
    > within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are
    > not
    > listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because
    > some are
    > being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the
    > consumer.
    > But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the
    > site
    > soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and
    > then
    > discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?
    > Louis

    Hopefully this will get crossposted for you.
    If not, ask the question in the listed group above. Alt.www.webmaster.
    The gurus there are heavily involved with running servers and deal with this
    stuff daily.

    What you could try doing though is, running a script that would save the
    search string into an array.
    Once the array reaches a certain number, save the array contents to a text
    file then reset the array to zero.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Louis

    Billy Guest

    Think about it. You usually have one chance to make a sale. Wouldn't it
    be better to show it when they first look for it?

    Billy, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Louis

    Richard Guest

    Billy wrote:

    > Think about it. You usually have one chance to make a sale. Wouldn't
    > it
    > be better to show it when they first look for it?

    There is a limitation of which can be shown on a website.
    Go to your favorite food store and check out how many varities of "Fritos"
    they carry.
    Do you realize how many there are?
    Even a store has a limit as to what it can stock.
    A business owner doesn't carry something until enough people ask for it.
    Why get stuck with tons of useless stuff?
    Knowing what is being looked for the most, would most certainly help in
    getting out that information better.
    If your competition has it available online, are you gonna get any sales
    because you don't? Even though you undersell your competition?
    Richard, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Louis

    Billy Guest

    He has it in the product line. Wants to post it after the search. Don't
    know about you, but I look, I find and compare I buy. I don't dick
    around and check back later. Even a non fancy txt list (could be a copy
    of the inventory listing) lets me know it is available, you want to sell
    it or hold it?

    Billy, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Richard wrote:
    > Louis wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site.

    > What is my potential customer looking for?

    External search engines (google etc.) - the search string will be in your
    site logs. For internal search engines you will have to mod the script to
    capture the query string.

    > So I can provide what they want if
    >> it is
    >> within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are
    >> not
    >> listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because
    >> some are
    >> being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the
    >> consumer.
    >> But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the
    >> site
    >> soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and
    >> then
    >> discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?

    this is all a bit reactive - have you considered loading all the products sp
    that the visitor knows right away that you have what they need?

    > What you could try doing though is, running a script that would save
    > the search string into an array.
    > Once the array reaches a certain number, save the array contents to a
    > text file then reset the array to zero.

    aye - once you have the data captured by a script you can do whatever you
    like with it - sms or email perhaps if it's urgent.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Louis

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:14:27 -0500 "Richard" <anom@anom> broke off
    from drinking a cup of tea at http://extra.newsguy.com to write:

    > Louis wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What
    >> is my potential customer looking for?

    Analyse your web logs, if you use 'Analog' you'll see the search words
    used to locate your site from external search engines.

    If you use your own internal search facility, echo the search words to
    a file for later analysis.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com
    Matt Probert, Oct 6, 2003