Traf O Data

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data is on topic in this
    group.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data
    > is on topic in this group.

    It's an Irish web traffic graphing tool. You left out
    the apostrophe - it's "Traf O'Data"

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data is on topic in this
    > group.

    Gates' first company/product (in conjunction with Allen).
    -=rjh=-, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    David Preece Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data is on topic in this
    > group.

    Because it was Bill Gates' original company. Legend has it that
    Microsoft, per se, was never actually formed but that the legal
    structures left over from Traf O Data just had their name changed.

    Bonus points: So Bill bashes this thing together and sets it up in his
    mothers' living room. He tries to sell it to the city of whereverthefuck
    and someone from the council comes round to see it working. It craps
    itself. Bill throws a fit and (in contrast to the next thirty years)
    doesn't make the sale.

    What do I win?

    Dave
    David Preece, Apr 9, 2005
  5. David Preece said the following on 10/04/2005 10:17 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data is on topic in
    >> this group.

    > Because it was Bill Gates' original company. Legend has it that
    > Microsoft, per se, was never actually formed but that the legal
    > structures left over from Traf O Data just had their name changed.
    >
    > Bonus points: So Bill bashes this thing together and sets it up in his
    > mothers' living room. He tries to sell it to the city of whereverthefuck
    > and someone from the council comes round to see it working. It craps
    > itself. Bill throws a fit and (in contrast to the next thirty years)
    > doesn't make the sale.
    >
    > What do I win?
    >
    > Dave

    Yep you in the points man.

    The original company with a hacked together half working product that
    reputedly made about $20k a year (a big money number in those days) that
    was eventually put out of business by a free service from somebody else.

    Perhaps we see the future of one company in the history of another.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ

    C9H8O4 Guest

    <snip>

    > The original company with a hacked together half working product that
    > reputedly made about $20k a year (a big money number in those days) that
    > was eventually put out of business by a free service from somebody else.
    >
    > Perhaps we see the future of one company in the history of another.

    is the free service still around ? :)
    C9H8O4, Apr 10, 2005
  7. C9H8O4 said the following on 10/04/2005 2:45 p.m.:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>The original company with a hacked together half working product that
    >>reputedly made about $20k a year (a big money number in those days) that
    >>was eventually put out of business by a free service from somebody else.
    >>
    >>Perhaps we see the future of one company in the history of another.
    >>

    > is the free service still around ? :)

    The need for it ceased as technology changed.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d38h2e$t4d$> in nz.comp on Sun, 10 Apr
    2005 00:16:15 +1200, -=rjh=- <> says...
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    > > Without using Google who can tell me why Traf O Data is on topic in this
    > > group.
    > >

    > Gates' first company/product (in conjunction with Allen).

    See this article:
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/dictionary/detail.asp?
    guid=&searchtype=1&DicID=19295&RefType=Encyclopedia
    Rob J, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> is the free service still around ? :)

    > The need for it ceased as technology changed.

    what was it?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 11/04/2005 10:18 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>> is the free service still around ? :)

    >> The need for it ceased as technology changed.

    > what was it?

    A traffic counter system using punch tape :cool:

    Collector»NZ, Apr 10, 2005