trademe user annoyances.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    >out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    >they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    >seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >
    >Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >
    >(and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    That would be the sellers problem. Once you are no longer the top bidder,
    you can't reasonably be expected to buy anything ... surely ?
    What is otherwise to stop the seller from removing the top 5 (or any number)
    of bids ? Doesn't make sense to me :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2005

  2. In article <rPiDe.1861$>, "ardz" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:RBiDe.1857$...
    >> In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"

    ><> wrote:
    >> >Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    >> >out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    >> >they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    >> >seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >> >
    >> >Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >> >
    >> >(and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    >> That would be the sellers problem. Once you are no longer the top bidder,
    >> you can't reasonably be expected to buy anything ... surely ?
    >> What is otherwise to stop the seller from removing the top 5 (or any

    >number)
    >> of bids ? Doesn't make sense to me :)

    >The seller cant refuse to remove your bid if the auction is running. If they
    >dont have enough feedback they can get Trademe to remove it for them.

    Dave siad they had already removed one bid ... so they must be able to do
    that :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2005

  3. In article <42ddc153$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >ardz wrote:
    >
    >> The seller cant refuse to remove your bid if the auction is running. If they
    >> dont have enough feedback they can get Trademe to remove it for them.

    >What he is saying is that he took other action because the bidding got past
    > what
    >he was prepaired to pay (Probarbly got to more then retail) - so he didnt
    >increse his bid to become the lead bidder again. The seller removed the top
    >bidder reinstating his bid as the winning bid

    I would tell the seller I saw I was second and went and got one. If the
    seller thought it clever to leave me as the top bid, he should not be
    surprised when I didn't pay for the thing I had already told him I did not
    want :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    ardz Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:RBiDe.1857$...

    <> wrote:
    > >Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > >out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > >they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > >seller refuses to remove your bid.
    > >
    > >Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    > >
    > >(and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    > That would be the sellers problem. Once you are no longer the top bidder,
    > you can't reasonably be expected to buy anything ... surely ?
    > What is otherwise to stop the seller from removing the top 5 (or any

    number)
    > of bids ? Doesn't make sense to me :)
    >

    > Bruce

    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the

    good

    ardz, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >
    > Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >
    > (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    I believe that removing the top bid should allow anyone underneith to remove
    there bid without the trader having any say if they can or not, they allowed one
    to be removed.
    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    mountain Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:RBiDe.1857$...

    <> wrote:
    > >Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > >out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > >they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > >seller refuses to remove your bid.
    > >
    > >Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    > >
    > >(and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    > That would be the sellers problem. Once you are no longer the top bidder,
    > you can't reasonably be expected to buy anything ... surely ?
    > What is otherwise to stop the seller from removing the top 5 (or any

    number)
    > of bids ? Doesn't make sense to me :)
    >

    > Bruce

    That sounds like the sort of thing you would do if you were phantom bidding,
    that way the seller can maximize his phantom bids and still have the real
    bidder win, sounds dodgy to me.
    mountain, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    ardz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > > out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > > they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > > seller refuses to remove your bid.
    > >
    > > Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    > >
    > > (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    > I believe that removing the top bid should allow anyone underneith to

    remove
    > there bid without the trader having any say if they can or not, they

    allowed one
    > to be removed.

    Ideally if you suddenly become the top bidder(because someones bid above you
    had been removed)you should be sent an email to say that you are now the
    lead bidder on an auction. Maybe thats an idea to put to trademe?.
    ardz, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Rob Guest

    > Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >
    > Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >
    > (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)
    >
    > --
    > http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    > http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services

    Sounds like the top bidder could have been a phanton bidder for the seller
    to push up the price, and then the seller removed the bid.
    Rob, Jul 20, 2005
  11. ardz wrote:
    > Ideally if you suddenly become the top bidder(because someones bid above you
    > had been removed)you should be sent an email to say that you are now the
    > lead bidder on an auction. Maybe thats an idea to put to trademe?.

    it did tell me that, otherwise I wouldn't have ooked at the auction again.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2005
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:33:32 +1200, ardz <> wrote:

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> > Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    >> > out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and

    >> then
    >> > they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    >> > seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >> >
    >> > Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >> >
    >> > (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    >> I believe that removing the top bid should allow anyone underneith to

    > remove
    >> there bid without the trader having any say if they can or not, they

    > allowed one
    >> to be removed.

    > Ideally if you suddenly become the top bidder(because someones bid above
    > you
    > had been removed)you should be sent an email to say that you are now the
    > lead bidder on an auction. Maybe thats an idea to put to trademe?.

    That doesn't help if you don't check your emails between the time the bid
    is removed and the time the auction closes. Often I will put a once only
    "my highest bid" on an auction and if I lose the bid I'll move on. I
    don't sit at my computer all day and while this situation has never
    happened to me it could concievably happen. If you win an auction by a
    removed bid you should be given the option to accept or decline the deal,
    much like an offer situation.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
    cowboyz, Jul 20, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    thingy Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <42ddc153$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>ardz wrote:
    >>

    >>>The seller cant refuse to remove your bid if the auction is running. If they
    >>>dont have enough feedback they can get Trademe to remove it for them.

    >>What he is saying is that he took other action because the bidding got past
    >>what
    >>he was prepaired to pay (Probarbly got to more then retail) - so he didnt
    >>increse his bid to become the lead bidder again. The seller removed the top
    >>bidder reinstating his bid as the winning bid

    > I would tell the seller I saw I was second and went and got one. If the
    > seller thought it clever to leave me as the top bid, he should not be
    > surprised when I didn't pay for the thing I had already told him I did not
    > want :)
    >
    > Bruce

    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    >
    > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)

    Are you sure somone was not trying to rip you off?

    Like have a mate force up the price then withdraw him when you would not
    go any further?

    If it was me i'd say I had assumed i had lost so went elsewhere, it is
    simply to late.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    thingy Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    > out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    > they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    > seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >
    > Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >
    > (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    So he removed one but not you? wlak away IMHO.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 20, 2005
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    Rob Guest

    wrote:

    they

    > >>What he is saying is that he took other action because the bidding got

    past
    > >>what
    > >>he was prepaired to pay (Probarbly got to more then retail) - so he

    didnt
    > >>increse his bid to become the lead bidder again. The seller removed the

    top
    > >>bidder reinstating his bid as the winning bid

    > > I would tell the seller I saw I was second and went and got one. If the
    > > seller thought it clever to leave me as the top bid, he should not be
    > > surprised when I didn't pay for the thing I had already told him I did

    not
    > > want :)
    > >
    > > Bruce

    > > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the

    good
    > > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always

    and
    > > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    > >
    > > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    > >
    > > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > > (if there were any)
    > >

    > Are you sure somone was not trying to rip you off?
    >
    > Like have a mate force up the price then withdraw him when you would not
    > go any further?
    >
    > If it was me i'd say I had assumed i had lost so went elsewhere, it is
    > simply to late.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    In a normal auction (not online) the top bidder can't withdraw their bid.
    If they do, the next bidder would then have the option to accept or decline.
    I am sure that there is a specific law on bidding on auctions.

    Just tell the seller that you have purchased it somehwere else becasue
    another bidder had bid over what you were prepared to pay. If they complain
    that you have to buy it, then I would think that something dodgy is going
    on, and they possibily used a phanton bidder, and if that is the case I
    would complain to trademe about the seller.
    Rob, Jul 20, 2005
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    ardz wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    >>> out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    >>> they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    >>> seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >>>
    >>> Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >>>
    >>> (and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    >> I believe that removing the top bid should allow anyone underneith to

    > remove
    >
    >> there bid without the trader having any say if they can or not, they

    > allowed one
    >
    >> to be removed.

    > Ideally if you suddenly become the top bidder(because someones bid above you
    > had been removed)you should be sent an email to say that you are now the lead
    > bidder on an auction. Maybe thats an idea to put to trademe?.

    That would be analagous to the situation in a physical auction room if a bid
    were withdrawn. Good luck getting your bids accepted in a real auction room if
    you make a habit of withdrawing bids. Trademe needs a method for vendors to give
    bidders bad feedback for cancelling a bid; after all, bidders do click through a
    warning that they are about to make a legally binding offer before the bid is
    posted.
    Roger_Nickel, Jul 20, 2005
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > That would be analagous to the situation in a physical auction room if a
    > bid
    > were withdrawn. Good luck getting your bids accepted in a real auction
    > room if
    > you make a habit of withdrawing bids. Trademe needs a method for vendors
    > to give
    > bidders bad feedback for cancelling a bid; after all, bidders do click
    > through a
    > warning that they are about to make a legally binding offer before the
    > bid is
    > posted.

    I have only asked to have a bit removed once, and that was when the seller
    answered a question that the goods were clearly not as they had described them.
    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > That would be analagous to the situation in a physical auction room if a
    > bid
    > were withdrawn. Good luck getting your bids accepted in a real auction
    > room if
    > you make a habit of withdrawing bids. Trademe needs a method for vendors
    > to give
    > bidders bad feedback for cancelling a bid; after all, bidders do click
    > through a
    > warning that they are about to make a legally binding offer before the
    > bid is
    > posted.

    However real auctions have the lots over in 30 seconds, not 7 days, its insane
    to expect people to wait out the auction to see if they end up winning it after
    losing it.
    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <42ddc153$>, Richard <>
    > wrote:
    >> ardz wrote:
    >>
    >>> The seller cant refuse to remove your bid if the auction is
    >>> running. If they dont have enough feedback they can get Trademe to
    >>> remove it for them.

    >> What he is saying is that he took other action because the bidding
    >> got past what
    >> he was prepaired to pay (Probarbly got to more then retail) - so he
    >> didnt increse his bid to become the lead bidder again. The seller
    >> removed the top bidder reinstating his bid as the winning bid

    > I would tell the seller I saw I was second and went and got one. If
    > the seller thought it clever to leave me as the top bid, he should
    > not be surprised when I didn't pay for the thing I had already told
    > him I did not want :)

    What's the bet that the 'other bidder' was either the seller under another
    name or a mate? Too many auctions on Trademe are shonky these days. <Leans
    back in rocking chair and puffs on pipe> I remember the days when it was a
    good place to buy and sell......
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 20, 2005
  20. Bruce Sinclair

    Brian Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:20:11 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Dont you just hate it when you make a bid, it reaches reserve, someone
    >out bids you, you go out to lunch and buy the same product new, and then
    >they seller removes the top bidder making you the top bidder, and the
    >seller refuses to remove your bid.
    >
    >Grrr, I hate trademe users.
    >
    >(and yes, I realise I'm one of them)

    You have received a lot of responses to this thread. How about
    telling us the Auction number so we can have a look for ourselves, and
    offer you more informed comment ?
    Brian, Jul 20, 2005