Trademe ThinkPad auction; I'm blacklisted.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359

    The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off the
    bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when entered here:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do

    I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the wrong CPU)
    I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care to take up the
    cause?

    This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to get to
    the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it before to Trademe
    but they won't do anything. They let people mislead the punters and
    blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way to run a site....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 2, 12:29 am, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >
    > The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off the
    > bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when entered here:
    >
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >
    > I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the wrong CPU)
    > I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care to take up the
    > cause?
    >
    > This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to get to
    > the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it before to Trademe
    > but they won't do anything. They let people mislead the punters and
    > blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way to run a site....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I too was blacklisted after successfully demanding a refund after
    finding the item was a pirated copy. Vendor claimed he did not
    realise etc, so in fairness I did not place feedback. The bastard
    kept selling the items, so I tried to bid (a contract to purchase
    pirated goods is illegal and hence unenforceable) and found I had been
    blacklisted, so I red faced him.

    Soon after another 'vendor' (with whom I had no previous dealings)
    offered similar stuff and had blacked me too when I tried to ask a
    question.

    I squarked like mad on trademe's message board and 6 people (trader,
    aliases and / or cronies) 'voted' to obliterate the thread I started.

    It this sort of thing happens it is not a bad idea to squark like mad
    via channels outside Trademe.

    peterwn, Dec 1, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 00:29:00 +1300
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >
    > The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off
    > the bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when
    > entered here:
    >
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >
    > I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the
    > wrong CPU) I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care
    > to take up the cause?
    >
    > This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to
    > get to the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it
    > before to Trademe but they won't do anything. They let people mislead
    > the punters and blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way to run a
    > site....
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hi Shaun
    Looking at the photo shows a type 1834-AM1

    <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=10&familyind=168403&machineind=168407&modelind=183324&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=100&doccategoryind=0&operatingsystemind=49979&validate=true>
    or
    <http://tinyurl.com/ykemgd6>

    Product: ThinkPad R50e 1834-AM1 [change]
    Operating system: All [change]

    Original description: Based on 1834-4AM: Celeron M 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM,
    30GB 4200rpm HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, Intel Extreme,
    24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Modem(CDC), 10/100 Ethernet(LOM), 6 cell Li-Ion
    battery, WinXP Home

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default

    Malcolm, Dec 1, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 00:29:00 +1300
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >>
    >> The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off
    >> the bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when
    >> entered here:
    >>
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >>
    >> I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the
    >> wrong CPU) I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care
    >> to take up the cause?
    >>
    >> This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to
    >> get to the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it
    >> before to Trademe but they won't do anything. They let people mislead
    >> the punters and blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way to run a
    >> site....
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Hi Shaun
    > Looking at the photo shows a type 1834-AM1
    >
    > <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=10&familyind=168403&machineind=168407&modelind=183324&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=100&doccategoryind=0&operatingsystemind=49979&validate=true>
    > or
    > <http://tinyurl.com/ykemgd6>
    >
    > Product: ThinkPad R50e 1834-AM1 [change]
    > Operating system: All [change]
    >
    > Original description: Based on 1834-4AM: Celeron M 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM,
    > 30GB 4200rpm HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, Intel Extreme,
    > 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Modem(CDC), 10/100 Ethernet(LOM), 6 cell
    > Li-Ion battery, WinXP Home

    Hi Malcolm. Yes, that was the question I was about to ask next, if the type
    was in fact 1834-AM1 but I found out that the prick had blacklisted me.
    (That's three re-sellers of ThinkPads who have me blacklisted now. Trademe
    still won't do anything about it event though I tell them I'm helping them
    by keeping their sellers honest.)

    In all fairness the CPU could have been upgraded, I've done that lots with
    ThinkPads. However, as I tried to tell him, if he's upgraded them to a PM
    740 then they'll only run at 1.3GHz as the 740 has a 13x multiplier and is
    designed to run on a 133MHz FSB whereas the R50/e only has a 100MHz FSB (to
    the CPU anyway).

    He says that they (he's selling three) are type 1843 but doesn't give the
    suffix. The prefix only covers certain things that are unchangable without a
    mobo transplant, the main one being the graphics solution. The suffix gives
    the details of the FRUs fitted when it left the factory.

    Compare his response to this guy:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=256851649

    Most genuine people are grateful when I point out that their auctions aren't
    listed right. It's only the guys who're selling multiple laptops and who
    consistently list with inaccurate specs who've blacklisted me. (NZ Laptops
    is one).

    I like ThinkPads and there are rarely more than 100 or so listed at any one
    time so I peruse the listings every so often. Trademe should bloody pay me,
    not facilitate fraudulent sales. :-/

    Hope you're well mate.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >>
    >> The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off
    >> the bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when
    >> entered here:
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >>
    >> I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the
    >> wrong CPU) I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care
    >> to take up the cause?
    >>
    >> This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to
    >> get to the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it
    >> before to Trademe but they won't do anything. They let people mislead
    >> the punters and blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way to run a
    >> site....
    >> Cheers,

    > He He. Some prick blacklisted me for asking (on his auction for $700
    > IEC power cable that 'sounds better' ) if he had similar upgrade kits
    > for household, street and National Grid cabling.

    LOL!

    That said, I can understand why he blacklisted you. He made a claim that is
    a grey area, major NZ retailers are making the same claims.

    It's a bit different to someone listing three laptops with CPUs that they
    were never designed to run, and if they *are* fitted, (same socket) will
    only be running at 3/4 of their rated speed.

    I'm tempted to buy the damn thing just to take him to small claims court and
    charge him court costs.... Shame I don't have 'spare' money. Oh, I couldn't
    buy it anyway as being blacklisted means I can't bid on his auctions either.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 12:29 am, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >>
    >> The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off
    >> the bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when
    >> entered here:
    >>
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >>
    >> I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the
    >> wrong CPU) I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care
    >> to take up the cause?
    >>
    >> This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to
    >> get to the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it
    >> before to Trademe but they won't do anything. They let people
    >> mislead the punters and blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way
    >> to run a site....

    > I too was blacklisted after successfully demanding a refund after
    > finding the item was a pirated copy. Vendor claimed he did not
    > realise etc, so in fairness I did not place feedback. The bastard
    > kept selling the items, so I tried to bid (a contract to purchase
    > pirated goods is illegal and hence unenforceable) and found I had been
    > blacklisted, so I red faced him.
    >
    > Soon after another 'vendor' (with whom I had no previous dealings)
    > offered similar stuff and had blacked me too when I tried to ask a
    > question.
    >
    > I squarked like mad on trademe's message board and 6 people (trader,
    > aliases and / or cronies) 'voted' to obliterate the thread I started.
    >
    > It this sort of thing happens it is not a bad idea to squark like mad
    > via channels outside Trademe.

    Which is what I'm doing, although not 'like mad' as I don't want to annoy
    the folks here. What I would like to see is his auctions flooded with hard
    questions about that CPU. A Pentium M 740 simply won't run at full speed in
    an R50e so either he's lying or the damn things are running at 1.3GHz.

    It would be good to see nz.comp-ers asking him some questions....

    I don't like to see people ripped off. I had no real intention of buying
    myself (unless one went *really* cheaply) but I do often check the ThinkPad
    listings for bargains / machines I can buy, strip to uprade one of mine and
    then resell (acurately described though) and I find that, on average ~30% of
    them are listed with wrong specs.

    It annoys me that I'm essentially giving Trademe a free service by trying to
    keep traders in the laptops - IBM category honest/informed yet they support
    the traders who are fraudulently listing laptops by letting them blacklist
    me.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 12:29 am, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=256539359
    >>
    >> The next question I was going to ask him was for the type number off
    >> the bottom. That would prove that it wasn't the CPU he claims when
    >> entered here:
    >>
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    >>
    >> I don't want the damn laptops (he has three, all listed with the
    >> wrong CPU) I just wanted the punters to know the truth. Anyone care
    >> to take up the cause?
    >>
    >> This isn't the first trader who's blacklisted me when I've tried to
    >> get to the truth. (I know my ThinkPads) I've complained about it
    >> before to Trademe but they won't do anything. They let people
    >> mislead the punters and blacklist the knowledgable folks. Stupid way
    >> to run a site....

    > I too was blacklisted after successfully demanding a refund after
    > finding the item was a pirated copy. Vendor claimed he did not
    > realise etc, so in fairness I did not place feedback. The bastard
    > kept selling the items, so I tried to bid (a contract to purchase
    > pirated goods is illegal and hence unenforceable) and found I had been
    > blacklisted, so I red faced him.
    >
    > Soon after another 'vendor' (with whom I had no previous dealings)
    > offered similar stuff and had blacked me too when I tried to ask a
    > question.
    >
    > I squarked like mad on trademe's message board and 6 people (trader,
    > aliases and / or cronies) 'voted' to obliterate the thread I started.
    >
    > It this sort of thing happens it is not a bad idea to squark like mad
    > via channels outside Trademe.

    Oh, check out this auction from the other day:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=255065303

    The guy was obviously expecting to get good money for it and ran a $1
    reserve auction (he says to check the website but it's an obsolete model).
    However, the bidding stalled at $2005 until, in the dying seconds of the
    auction a new trader who's signed up this month jumped in and bid it up to
    $2500. He was ultimately outbid but the odd thing is 30 seconds before the
    auction finished all of this new trader's bids were removed.

    So the guy who was winning it with 40 seconds to go at $2005 ended up being
    pushed up to $2510. I contacted Trademe about it but it seems that they've
    stopped replying to me. Last time they answered me over something I'd seen
    like this they said that the winner had bid to that amount, therefore was
    willing to pay it and a bid was a legally binding contract etc.

    It pays to be very careful on Trademe. There are people who are out to rip
    you off and it seems that Trademe are on their side (commission is higher if
    the price is higher). Trademe used to be good way back when. Now they only
    care about the money, not the morals or ethics of a situation. Or even the
    legalities for that matter.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2009
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> That said, I can understand why he blacklisted you. He made a claim
    >> that is a grey area, major NZ retailers are making the same claims.

    > NZ retailers ? The whole world of snake oil.
    >
    > But the really bad thing was that he was modifying standard
    > (compliant) mains cables, and reselling then, now non-compliant and
    > illegal.

    Ahh, ok. I didn't realise they were illegal. I thought they were just the
    'monster cable' type thing...
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2009
  9. ~misfit~

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:51:20 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That said, I can understand why he blacklisted you. He made a claim
    >>> that is a grey area, major NZ retailers are making the same claims.

    >> NZ retailers ? The whole world of snake oil.
    >>
    >> But the really bad thing was that he was modifying standard (compliant)
    >> mains cables, and reselling then, now non-compliant and illegal.

    > Ahh, ok. I didn't realise they were illegal. I thought they were just
    > the 'monster cable' type thing...

    Mains cables are supposed to be insulated and sheathed.

    Roger_Nickel, Dec 3, 2009