TradeMe Scams live !!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bAZZ, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    Further to the thread the other day about schill bidders is this stuff I
    have found. While scambusters.co.nz may be known to some of you I hadn't
    been there. I joined up yesterday and went and had a look at their
    message boards. There is a current thread that has been going since June
    2006. It is 111 pages long. Being updated as I write this . It is called
    Romanian scammer - hacked accounts -when will TM take action ?

    100's of members accounts hacked and being used now for fraud. For 8
    months Romanian hackers/phisers have been using Trademe to scam people.
    Day after day, night after night they are bombarding Trademe with
    fraudulent auctions. On and on and it seems Trademe are doing sweet ****
    all. Blatently lying to media and minimising and covering up allowing it
    to go on. I was shocked at how much the scambuster guys/gals were
    intercepting and stopping while Tradem for 8 months has done **** all to
    stop it. Same email addys, etc etc night after night. And Trade me
    office SHUT AND EMPTY till after weekend. Open slather for them and they
    did NOTHING. Unbelievable.

    *quote*Another hole in TM systems? Trader disabled for some time now,
    but scammer can amend listings. Scary... *endquote*

    Scammer disabled but changes 50 legitimate auctions from disabled
    account to his scamming phone ones after being disabled.!!!!!!!!!!

    This from post 2 hours ago there ( with screen capture of TM homepage
    with a 16 million dollar cell phone.) I mean how rooted is that. Trademe
    homepage with scammers auction sabotaged by scambusters and still left
    running and on homepage highlited. Shit if these amatuers can detect it
    and try stop it with bogus bids cos trademe havn't removed em after
    being told what does 700 million buy you in way of good robust security
    that works.

    I just cannot believe that it is that wide open at trademe. These guys
    have used 100s and 100s accounts and just don't stop. And some have been
    owned for at least 8 months with some having 1000 feedbacks. Now if
    they contact all those previous traders and do what ????

    Phew that's over with. I was shocked hence big rant. I even know idiots
    that would/will fall for it cos they are computer illiterate but bang
    away on trademe. I usually are removing trojans/virus etc for them.
    Fodder for these scammers LOL.

    I'm going to bed, I'm depressed.
    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 14, 2007

  2. On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:30:16 +1300, bAZZ wrote:

    > Phew that's over with. I was shocked hence big rant. I even know idiots
    > that would/will fall for it cos they are computer illiterate but bang
    > away on trademe.

    OK

    Now we know that Trademe is a dodgy website.

    We knew something would happen after it had been sold for such a high price.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 14, 2007

  3. bAZZ

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:30:16 +1300, bAZZ wrote:
    >
    > > Phew that's over with. I was shocked hence big rant. I even know idiots
    > > that would/will fall for it cos they are computer illiterate but bang
    > > away on trademe.

    > OK
    >
    > Now we know that Trademe is a dodgy website.
    >
    > We knew something would happen after it had been sold for such a high price.

    There we scams before, during and after the takeover. It has nothing to
    do with the sale price.

    Your tin foil hat is obviously not working...
    whoisthis, Mar 14, 2007
  4. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, lid says...
    > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:30:16 +1300, bAZZ wrote:
    >
    > > Phew that's over with. I was shocked hence big rant. I even know idiots
    > > that would/will fall for it cos they are computer illiterate but bang
    > > away on trademe.

    > OK
    >
    > Now we know that Trademe is a dodgy website.
    >
    > We knew something would happen after it had been sold for such a high price.

    Not really. My point was that so much money was involved that surely
    they could spend some of it trying to police their own site FFS. I don't
    think injection of cash caused it to be like that as it was already wide
    open.

    Maybe even use the newsletter to warn or advise people. These
    scambusters were phoning/texting and emailing People to tell them they
    were hacked and been phised just from watching auctions and being on
    ball. Preventing firther fraud. Why can't Trademe do same ? Where are
    their security people ? 100s and 100s people hijacked.

    Just seems Trademe are turning blind eye or even ignoring problem or
    have slack admins. Dunno maybe all 3.

    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 14, 2007
  5. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > In article <>, lid says...
    > > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:30:16 +1300, bAZZ wrote:
    > >
    > > > Phew that's over with. I was shocked hence big rant. I even know
    > > > idiots that would/will fall for it cos they are computer
    > > > illiterate but bang away on trademe.

    > > OK
    > >
    > > Now we know that Trademe is a dodgy website.
    > >
    > > We knew something would happen after it had been sold for such a
    > > high price.
    > >

    > Not really. My point was that so much money was involved that surely
    > they could spend some of it trying to police their own site FFS. I
    > don't think injection of cash caused it to be like that as it was
    > already wide open.
    >
    > Maybe even use the newsletter to warn or advise people. These
    > scambusters were phoning/texting and emailing People to tell them they
    > were hacked and been phised just from watching auctions and being on
    > ball. Preventing firther fraud. Why can't Trademe do same ? Where are
    > their security people ? 100s and 100s people hijacked.
    >
    > Just seems Trademe are turning blind eye or even ignoring problem or
    > have slack admins. Dunno maybe all 3.

    It begs the question Bazz; Why isn't this all over the media? Surely the
    scambuster folk have contacted 20/20, Fair Go, Sunday, Campbell Live.....?
    Why hasn't it been picked up? They were quick to jump on that local guy
    scamming a mere couple thousand $.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 14, 2007
  6. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <45f873f0$>,
    says...
    > bAZZ wrote:

    > > > OK
    > > >
    > > > Now we know that Trademe is a dodgy website.
    > > >
    > > > We knew something would happen after it had been sold for such a
    > > > high price.
    > > >

    > > Not really. My point was that so much money was involved that surely
    > > they could spend some of it trying to police their own site FFS. I
    > > don't think injection of cash caused it to be like that as it was
    > > already wide open.
    > >
    > > Maybe even use the newsletter to warn or advise people. These
    > > scambusters were phoning/texting and emailing People to tell them they
    > > were hacked and been phised just from watching auctions and being on
    > > ball. Preventing firther fraud. Why can't Trademe do same ? Where are
    > > their security people ? 100s and 100s people hijacked.
    > >
    > > Just seems Trademe are turning blind eye or even ignoring problem or
    > > have slack admins. Dunno maybe all 3.

    > It begs the question Bazz; Why isn't this all over the media? Surely the
    > scambuster folk have contacted 20/20, Fair Go, Sunday, Campbell Live.....?
    > Why hasn't it been picked up? They were quick to jump on that local guy
    > scamming a mere couple thousand $.

    Yeah makes you wonder eh ? I know they did earlier but TM spiel lied and
    media believed all well. End media interest. And then when NZ's largest
    media group own trademe......... (conspiracy theorists jump in here<BG>)

    Have a look at this. Incredible. This is today LOL

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    &mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    &advanced=true

    Sorry about word wrap. Everyone scam. These people are finding them
    contacting TM and some stay live for up to 50 minutes after TM know. My
    whole point has been why are they and TM not policing this stuff better.
    Obviouslt TM are stopping alot too but these get thru. It beggars belisf
    that NZ's biggest website in $$$ , members and traffic cannot or will
    not try and protect the unwary customers it makes it's money from.
    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 15, 2007
  7. > Yeah makes you wonder eh ? I know they did earlier but TM spiel lied and
    > media believed all well. End media interest. And then when NZ's largest
    > media group own trademe......... (conspiracy theorists jump in here<BG>)
    >
    > Have a look at this. Incredible. This is today LOL
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    > sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    > &mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    > &advanced=true
    >
    > Sorry about word wrap. Everyone scam. These people are finding them
    > contacting TM and some stay live for up to 50 minutes after TM know. My
    > whole point has been why are they and TM not policing this stuff better.
    > Obviouslt TM are stopping alot too but these get thru. It beggars belisf
    > that NZ's biggest website in $$$ , members and traffic cannot or will
    > not try and protect the unwary customers it makes it's money from.

    All of those auctions were removed by trademe before they sold.... you
    cant say trademe are not doing anything about it
    Andrew Lambert, Mar 15, 2007
  8. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, f says...
    > > Yeah makes you wonder eh ? I know they did earlier but TM spiel lied and
    > > media believed all well. End media interest. And then when NZ's largest
    > > media group own trademe......... (conspiracy theorists jump in here<BG>)
    > >
    > > Have a look at this. Incredible. This is today LOL
    > >
    > > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    > > sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    > > &mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    > > &advanced=true
    > >
    > > Sorry about word wrap. Everyone scam. These people are finding them
    > > contacting TM and some stay live for up to 50 minutes after TM know. My
    > > whole point has been why are they and TM not policing this stuff better.
    > > Obviouslt TM are stopping alot too but these get thru. It beggars belisf
    > > that NZ's biggest website in $$$ , members and traffic cannot or will
    > > not try and protect the unwary customers it makes it's money from.

    > All of those auctions were removed by trademe before they sold.... you
    > cant say trademe are not doing anything about it

    Well yes I can I think. Did you not notice the number of bids on some of
    them too. 66 bids on one,31,14,59 etc etc. All the time those auctions
    were 'live' the email adress and links to scammers were available. How
    many page views ? If one auction attracted lots bids how amny viewwed it
    and more importantly- how many clicked email link ? Also if Trade me CA
    team were doing their job then these scammers auctions would not be able
    to get posted to begin with. What about fact that you can change the
    listing in a hijacked auction even when the trader has been disabled
    ???? Is that Trademe security in action. Romanians able to alter a
    listing from disabled account to change to these phone scam ones ?
    Robust security /ha.

    Yes they are doing something about it but after fact and often when
    approached by scambusters. They miss them completely. So yeah they are
    doing something only half arsed and ambulence at bottom of cliff.

    See Ya
    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 15, 2007
  9. bAZZ

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:20:30 +1300, bAZZ <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    >sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    >&mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    >&advanced=true

    Yes, but every one was removed by TM, too.

    I'm not making excuses for them - pretty much everything else you've
    said is true, and they've got a long history of covering up fraud on
    their site, but credit where credit is due.

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...
    Fred Dagg, Mar 15, 2007
  10. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, f says...
    > > Yeah makes you wonder eh ? I know they did earlier but TM spiel lied and
    > > media believed all well. End media interest. And then when NZ's largest
    > > media group own trademe......... (conspiracy theorists jump in here<BG>)
    > >
    > > Have a look at this. Incredible. This is today LOL
    > >
    > > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    > > sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    > > &mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    > > &advanced=true
    > >
    > > Sorry about word wrap. Everyone scam. These people are finding them
    > > contacting TM and some stay live for up to 50 minutes after TM know. My
    > > whole point has been why are they and TM not policing this stuff better.
    > > Obviouslt TM are stopping alot too but these get thru. It beggars belisf
    > > that NZ's biggest website in $$$ , members and traffic cannot or will
    > > not try and protect the unwary customers it makes it's money from.

    > All of those auctions were removed by trademe before they sold.... you
    > cant say trademe are not doing anything about it

    Hey Andrew

    Got my conspiracy hat on now :)

    stuff.stuff email address. Is that a coincidence that you use Trademe's
    partner site in your addy ?

    Wouldn't fact that you stated here your wife works there too be relevent
    when defending Trademe's actions be mentioned when you comment on posts.
    It has been done to death here a la Microsoft employees and conflict etc
    posting about their company and I'm not wanting to get that hornets nest
    started again. I would think tho if you spring to Trademe's defense then
    stating your interest in them is helpful.

    I am not trying to attack you personally just clarifiying where your
    interests lay when commenting.
    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 15, 2007
  11. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:20:30 +1300, bAZZ <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?
    > >sort_order=default&searchstring=nokia+n95+brand+new&current=0
    > >&mcat=all&submit_keyword_search=++Search++&searchregion=100
    > >&advanced=true

    > Yes, but every one was removed by TM, too.
    >
    > I'm not making excuses for them - pretty much everything else you've
    > said is true, and they've got a long history of covering up fraud on
    > their site, but credit where credit is due.

    Yeah they did get to them and their job must be hard to police such a
    sprawling site. I have no doubt the admins at coal face do good job and
    try their best. Seems more of a leadership/management thing. Changing
    practices. Employing more people to police the site.
    bAZZ..>>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Mar 15, 2007
  12. > Hey Andrew

    > Got my conspiracy hat on now :)
    >
    > stuff.stuff email address. Is that a coincidence that you use Trademe's
    > partner site in your addy ?
    >
    > Wouldn't fact that you stated here your wife works there too be relevent
    > when defending Trademe's actions be mentioned when you comment on posts.
    > It has been done to death here a la Microsoft employees and conflict etc
    > posting about their company and I'm not wanting to get that hornets nest
    > started again. I would think tho if you spring to Trademe's defense then
    > stating your interest in them is helpful.
    >
    > I am not trying to attack you personally just clarifiying where your
    > interests lay when commenting.

    It is a coincidence that stuff.stuff in my address is a trademe partner
    address, its only there to not give my real email address to spammers.
    My wife does work for trademe, however i dont. I dont mind defending
    trademe as for the most part i dont believe they have done wrong.

    I do think its concerning that disabled accounts can still modify
    listings (god knows how)

    My wife works in customer service, ie responds to emails and phonecalls
    to trademe, They have full time staff dedicated to searching out
    fraudulent activity. So its not like they are doing nothing, But maybe
    they could be doing better. Maybe the tools they use dont recognise all
    types of scam attempts. With 700+ thousand listings at any given time
    there is alot to watch over

    Those phones that you listed, They had alot of bids, But they could well
    have come across as legitimate auctions at first, Maybe the randomly
    high bids got noticed and all similar auctions got withdrawn

    Obviously i dont know the exact details, Im just guessing here.

    Alot of the scams are similar phishing sites that banks face, alot of
    people are stupid and fall for these and unknowingly give thier details
    out via an unsecured website - ie not trademes actual site

    These people are being targeted and its more then likely thier auctions
    that are getting hijacked
    Andrew Lambert, Mar 15, 2007
  13. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, f says...
    > > Hey Andrew
    > >
    > > Got my conspiracy hat on now :)
    > >
    > > stuff.stuff email address. Is that a coincidence that you use Trademe's
    > > partner site in your addy ?
    > >
    > > Wouldn't fact that you stated here your wife works there too be relevent
    > > when defending Trademe's actions be mentioned when you comment on posts.
    > > It has been done to death here a la Microsoft employees and conflict etc
    > > posting about their company and I'm not wanting to get that hornets nest
    > > started again. I would think tho if you spring to Trademe's defense then
    > > stating your interest in them is helpful.
    > >
    > > I am not trying to attack you personally just clarifiying where your
    > > interests lay when commenting.

    > It is a coincidence that stuff.stuff in my address is a trademe partner
    > address, its only there to not give my real email address to spammers.
    > My wife does work for trademe, however i dont. I dont mind defending
    > trademe as for the most part i dont believe they have done wrong.

    Yeah thought about that too after I posted. On reflection I thought I
    may have been over top with that last one. Was hoping it didn't appear
    personal.

    > I do think its concerning that disabled accounts can still modify
    > listings (god knows how)

    Damn scary alright cos Trademe arn't following up on all auctions a
    hijacked account was running and deleting em.

    > My wife works in customer service, ie responds to emails and phonecalls
    > to trademe, They have full time staff dedicated to searching out
    > fraudulent activity. So its not like they are doing nothing, But maybe
    > they could be doing better. Maybe the tools they use dont recognise all
    > types of scam attempts. With 700+ thousand listings at any given time
    > there is alot to watch over

    And I imagine she works damn hard and for little thanks.Your reply too
    has proven that you are impartial and able to discuss and debate without
    taking 'her' side etc. Obviously you can look at it and see both sides,
    not like some of the discussions on here at times. It is hard in that
    sort of role too responding to angry customers and such like. It's more
    the security aspect that I was commenting on. Obviously they are missing
    them alright.

    > Those phones that you listed, They had alot of bids, But they could well
    > have come across as legitimate auctions at first,

    That is the problem. They appear real and people get sucked in

    >Maybe the randomly
    > high bids got noticed and all similar auctions got withdrawn

    Yep. Scambusters use that tatic to alert trademe and potential buyers to
    the scam. My point has been they shouldn't have to as Trademe should be
    getting them first.

    > Obviously i dont know the exact details, Im just guessing here.
    >
    > Alot of the scams are similar phishing sites that banks face, alot of
    > people are stupid and fall for these and unknowingly give thier details
    > out via an unsecured website - ie not trademes actual site

    Yes the hijacked accounts are all from phishing schemes from year ago.
    So what has trademe done about it. These Romanians have access to
    literally 1000's accounts. Who knows how many. !00s that I have seen
    anyway. all obtained from the phising attempts. Trade me should be more
    proactive in educating their traders to it IMHO. Banks do and have now
    implemented 3rd level security at log on. I hate it but is good to have
    extra level of protection and I am just lazy and hate the xtra steps
    LOL.

    > These people are being targeted and its more then likely thier auctions
    > that are getting hijacked

    Maybe if Trademe were a bit more open and admitted stuff and
    acknowledged it rather than trying to minimise and obscure the extent
    people would have more respect for them and their company.

    Good to talk to ya Andrew
    bAZZ..>>
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me