Trademe Scammer at it again!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369

    This is the same guy, same computer that I went out of my way to stop
    someone being ripped off over. He's insinuating it's a T60 (worth ~$1000)
    when in fact it's a 10 year old Pentium II / 400MHz. He has put a Core 2 Duo
    sticker on it for the pics and a "Designed for Vista" sticker. This thing
    would have come with Windows 98!

    I have reported the auction to Tardeme but nothing has been done yet. The
    seller is trying to walk the line between fraud and pleading ignorance. He
    can't do the latter is I told him *exactly* what the machine is.

    This is the guy who was seen on TV1 news at the Hanover Finance shareholders
    meeting.

    I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but he's
    banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get away with
    fraud.

    It would be great if others were to take him to task....
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Puddle wrote:

    > I asked him if he could put the cpu speed as reported by
    > control panel->system
    >
    > At least if he does that it would let people know what they are buying.
    >
    > Of course he probably won't respond to the question as he is quite aware
    > what the specs are after you made him aware and I'm sure he knew before
    > you told him also.
    >
    > Not much you can do really if trademe aren't interested. Have you
    > reported him to that website? is it scambusters?

    My question is a bit more direct ;)
    Richard, Dec 20, 2008

  3. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >
    > This is the same guy, same computer that I went out of my way to stop
    > someone being ripped off over. He's insinuating it's a T60 (worth ~$1000)
    > when in fact it's a 10 year old Pentium II / 400MHz. He has put a Core 2 Duo
    > sticker on it for the pics and a "Designed for Vista" sticker. This thing
    > would have come with Windows 98!
    >
    > I have reported the auction to Tardeme but nothing has been done yet. The
    > seller is trying to walk the line between fraud and pleading ignorance. He
    > can't do the latter is I told him *exactly* what the machine is.
    >
    > This is the guy who was seen on TV1 news at the Hanover Finance shareholders
    > meeting.
    >
    > I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but he's
    > banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get away with
    > fraud.
    >
    > It would be great if others were to take him to task....

    You could post on Trademe message boards as well.
    Southern Kiwi, Dec 20, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Puddle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I asked him if he could put the cpu speed as reported by
    >>> control panel->system
    >>>
    >>> At least if he does that it would let people know what they are
    >>> buying. Of course he probably won't respond to the question as he is
    >>> quite
    >>> aware what the specs are after you made him aware and I'm sure he
    >>> knew before you told him also.
    >>>
    >>> Not much you can do really if trademe aren't interested. Have you
    >>> reported him to that website? is it scambusters?

    >> My question is a bit more direct ;)

    > I was going to write something a little more direct and nasty but
    > thought there was more chance of him answering if I just pretended I
    > was an innocent buyer wanting more info but I doubt he will give away
    > the cpu speed..
    >
    > I also reported the listing to trademe, letting them know that it is
    > very public information now that this person is deliberately
    > misleading people with fake stickers and pretending not to know the
    > machine specs. If trademe think lots of people are watching perhaps
    > that will make them act. We will see, a pretty sad state of affairs
    > if they do nothing and condone that kind of behaviour.

    Thanks guys. I see 8 unanswered questions now. <g>
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Southern Kiwi" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >>
    >> This is the same guy, same computer that I went out of my way to stop
    >> someone being ripped off over. He's insinuating it's a T60 (worth
    >> ~$1000) when in fact it's a 10 year old Pentium II / 400MHz. He has
    >> put a Core 2 Duo sticker on it for the pics and a "Designed for
    >> Vista" sticker. This thing would have come with Windows 98!
    >>
    >> I have reported the auction to Tardeme but nothing has been done
    >> yet. The seller is trying to walk the line between fraud and
    >> pleading ignorance. He can't do the latter is I told him *exactly*
    >> what the machine is. This is the guy who was seen on TV1 news at the
    >> Hanover Finance
    >> shareholders meeting.
    >>
    >> I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but
    >> he's banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get
    >> away with fraud.
    >>
    >> It would be great if others were to take him to task....

    > You could post on Trademe message boards as well.

    Hmmm, yeah, I've never posted on them yet. Having read them once or twice I
    was singularly unimpressed with the level of discourse. Nowhere near the
    standard of nz.gen and nz.comp. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    SupergoofNZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Southern Kiwi" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >>>
    >>> This is the same guy, same computer that I went out of my way to stop
    >>> someone being ripped off over. He's insinuating it's a T60 (worth
    >>> ~$1000) when in fact it's a 10 year old Pentium II / 400MHz. He has
    >>> put a Core 2 Duo sticker on it for the pics and a "Designed for
    >>> Vista" sticker. This thing would have come with Windows 98!
    >>>
    >>> I have reported the auction to Tardeme but nothing has been done
    >>> yet. The seller is trying to walk the line between fraud and
    >>> pleading ignorance. He can't do the latter is I told him *exactly*
    >>> what the machine is. This is the guy who was seen on TV1 news at the
    >>> Hanover Finance
    >>> shareholders meeting.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but
    >>> he's banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get
    >>> away with fraud.
    >>>
    >>> It would be great if others were to take him to task....

    >> You could post on Trademe message boards as well.

    > Hmmm, yeah, I've never posted on them yet. Having read them once or twice I
    > was singularly unimpressed with the level of discourse. Nowhere near the
    > standard of nz.gen and nz.comp. ;-)

    I've asked if he has a receipt to prove authenticity. :eek:)

    He's got no bids yet anyway.

    Rachel
    SupergoofNZ, Dec 20, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:08:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> My question is a bit more direct ;)

    >> I was going to write something a little more direct and nasty but
    >> thought there was more chance of him answering if I just pretended I
    >> was an innocent buyer wanting more info but I doubt he will give away
    >> the cpu speed..
    >>
    >> I also reported the listing to trademe, letting them know that it is
    >> very public information now that this person is deliberately
    >> misleading people with fake stickers and pretending not to know the
    >> machine specs. If trademe think lots of people are watching perhaps
    >> that will make them act. We will see, a pretty sad state of affairs
    >> if they do nothing and condone that kind of behaviour.

    >Thanks guys. I see 8 unanswered questions now. <g>

    I was going to add a new question, but thought maybe he won't answer
    any of them untill he gets a bid so it doesn't show any of them?
    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    Fred(2) Guest

    On Dec 20, 3:24 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    > I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but he's
    > banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get away with
    > fraud.
    >
    > It would be great if others were to take him to task....
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I see he has 9 (10 now with mine) unanswered questions.
    That should be enough to put any one off placing a bid.
    Fred(2)
    Fred(2), Dec 20, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 23:05:47 -0800 (PST), "Fred(2)" <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 20, 3:24 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >> I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but he's
    >> banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get away with
    >> fraud.
    >>
    >> It would be great if others were to take him to task....
    >> --
    >> Shaun.

    >I see he has 9 (10 now with mine) unanswered questions.
    >That should be enough to put any one off placing a bid.
    >Fred(2)

    I might be able to get his name and address. Will post his name here
    if I do.
    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 23:05:47 -0800 (PST), "Fred(2)" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 20, 3:24 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >>> I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments
    >>> but he's banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer
    >>> get away with fraud.
    >>>
    >>> It would be great if others were to take him to task....
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.

    >> I see he has 9 (10 now with mine) unanswered questions.
    >> That should be enough to put any one off placing a bid.
    >> Fred(2)

    > I might be able to get his name and address. Will post his name here
    > if I do.

    Thanks Craig. He poses as "Jane" but his emails come from "Jeff Mart L" with
    the addy When I pressed Jane to meet me to complete the
    sale she then said "Jeff" would do it for her.

    There is a pic of him here:
    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1228640360.jpg

    (The white-haired guy, not the balding, obese bastard.) and here:

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1228858930.jpg

    taken from One News' coverage of the Hanover Finance shareholder's meeting.

    His car is a white 1990 Mitsubishi Eterna reg number TT5570.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "SupergoofNZ" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Southern Kiwi" typed:

    >>> You could post on Trademe message boards as well.

    >> Hmmm, yeah, I've never posted on them yet. Having read them once or
    >> twice I was singularly unimpressed with the level of discourse.
    >> Nowhere near the standard of nz.gen and nz.comp. ;-)

    > I've asked if he has a receipt to prove authenticity. :eek:)
    >
    > He's got no bids yet anyway.

    Thanks Rachel. Good men (and women) and all that. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:08:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:

    >>> I was going to write something a little more direct and nasty but
    >>> thought there was more chance of him answering if I just pretended I
    >>> was an innocent buyer wanting more info but I doubt he will give
    >>> away the cpu speed..
    >>>
    >>> I also reported the listing to trademe, letting them know that it is
    >>> very public information now that this person is deliberately
    >>> misleading people with fake stickers and pretending not to know the
    >>> machine specs. If trademe think lots of people are watching perhaps
    >>> that will make them act. We will see, a pretty sad state of affairs
    >>> if they do nothing and condone that kind of behaviour.

    >> Thanks guys. I see 8 unanswered questions now. <g>

    > I was going to add a new question, but thought maybe he won't answer
    > any of them untill he gets a bid so it doesn't show any of them?

    The number of unanswered questions always shows and, after the auction you
    get to see what they were. Until the auction finishes they just show as
    "There are xx unanswered questions on this auction".

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Fred(2)" typed:
    > On Dec 20, 3:24 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194106369
    >> I wanted to bombard his auction with direct questions / comments but
    >> he's banned me from his auctions. I don't want to see a scammer get
    >> away with fraud.
    >>
    >> It would be great if others were to take him to task....

    > I see he has 9 (10 now with mine) unanswered questions.
    > That should be enough to put any one off placing a bid.
    > Fred(2)

    I hope so Fred, I hope so. I see he's added

    "**TERMS **
    Please be sure before you bid. A bid is a committment to buy."

    since he last listed it. He claims to not know much about computers but he
    seemed pretty savvy when I met him. He was trying to disguise it but it's
    amazing what tidbits someone can let slip if you're tricky enough. <g>

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > His car is a white 1990 Mitsubishi Eterna reg number TT5570.

    Currently registered to (since 9/11/1999):

    Robert John Gaston
    22A Tiverton Rd
    Avondale
    Auckland

    Postal address
    PO Box 77067
    Mt Albert
    Auckland
    EMB, Dec 20, 2008
  15. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> It would be great if others were to take him to task....

    >> You could post on Trademe message boards as well.

    > Hmmm, yeah, I've never posted on them yet. Having read them once or twice I
    > was singularly unimpressed with the level of discourse. Nowhere near the
    > standard of nz.gen and nz.comp. ;-)

    Its full of crazy nutter breeder types that think the world exists only
    to keep their offspring safe and have no respect for personal freedoms
    with their voting off gang they have going on...
    Richard, Dec 20, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:07:13 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> His car is a white 1990 Mitsubishi Eterna reg number TT5570.

    >Currently registered to (since 9/11/1999):
    >
    >Robert John Gaston
    >22A Tiverton Rd
    >Avondale
    >Auckland
    >
    >Postal address
    >PO Box 77067
    >Mt Albert
    >Auckland

    Ha, that's what I was getting someone to do!
    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:15:50 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Shore" typed:
    >> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:08:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:

    >>> Thanks guys. I see 8 unanswered questions now. <g>

    >> I was going to add a new question, but thought maybe he won't answer
    >> any of them untill he gets a bid so it doesn't show any of them?

    >The number of unanswered questions always shows and, after the auction you
    >get to see what they were. Until the auction finishes they just show as
    >"There are xx unanswered questions on this auction".
    >
    >Cheers,

    Can you see the questions and answers Shaun? I think he's referenced
    you in the only one he's answered.

    What is the model please? It will be printed on the case or lid. If
    you cannot find that please post the IBM model code which will be 6
    digits and/or letters probably on the underside near the serial number
    (e.g. 2345-ABC). posted by: jackrussell (56 ) 11:03 pm, Fri 19 Dec

    The only Op System licence I know, is that it had COA for WinVista
    [Chinese Ver]. It was replaced with XP [English ver] & was activated &
    all updates downloaded, incl. SP3 & more recent. On bottom the
    identifiers are AN 2626, just those. On the top [between keyboard &
    screen it has engraved plastic "T60", however a PC person looked at it
    and said he didn't think it was a T60, because T60 should have larger
    Hard Disk. Maybe Disk was replaced? So I don't advertise as T60. I
    don't know its history. 11:03 am, Sat 20 Dec
    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:07:13 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> His car is a white 1990 Mitsubishi Eterna reg number TT5570.

    >> Currently registered to (since 9/11/1999):
    >>
    >> Robert John Gaston
    >> 22A Tiverton Rd
    >> Avondale
    >> Auckland
    >>
    >> Postal address
    >> PO Box 77067
    >> Mt Albert
    >> Auckland

    > Ha, that's what I was getting someone to do!

    Heh! Now, we know who owns the car, we just need to ascertain if it's him
    of, if not, make sure that Mr Gaston knows his car has been used in an
    attempted fraud.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Richard" typed:

    >>> You could post on Trademe message boards as well.

    >> Hmmm, yeah, I've never posted on them yet. Having read them once or
    >> twice I was singularly unimpressed with the level of discourse.
    >> Nowhere near the standard of nz.gen and nz.comp. ;-)

    > Its full of crazy nutter breeder types that think the world exists
    > only to keep their offspring safe and have no respect for personal
    > freedoms with their voting off gang they have going on...

    Yeah, I got as far as working out the "crazy nutter" bit and looked no
    further.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  20. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Heh! Now, we know who owns the car, we just need to ascertain if it's him
    > of, if not, make sure that Mr Gaston knows his car has been used in an
    > attempted fraud.

    He's listed on whitepages. Phone him and ask. Now would be a
    reasonably friendly hour to do so.
    EMB, Dec 20, 2008