    unanswered questions would be stating that. Then there is people who buy CD
    keys/key generators from various dodgy people and complain when the dont
    work .... are people really that gullible ...gotta laugh though ...J
    Weez, May 13, 2004

  2. Weez

    PseUDO Guest

    Weez wrote:
    > Is it just me or are there some complete dorks out there that pay for just
    > about anything
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-11383690.htm
    >
    > all this stuff is available free from various websites, I'm sure the 5
    > unanswered questions would be stating that. Then there is people who buy CD
    > keys/key generators from various dodgy people and complain when the dont
    > work .... are people really that gullible ...gotta laugh though ...J

    I'd like to see trademe change the policy on questions asked , to show
    all the unanswered questions on an auction.

    At the moment as you said their are people telling buyers about the fact
    that they are bidding for an item that is cheaper in the shops or free
    on the internet etc.

    The only reason i can see for trademe letting the seller decide which
    questions to answer and which ones not to answer , is that when you get
    people telling bidders that they are an idiot for bidding for something
    that can be brought cheaper in the shops, then the bidder may pull out
    which in return lowers the price that the seller gets and therefore
    trademe makes less commission.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, May 13, 2004

  3. Weez

    JohnO Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Weez wrote:
    > > Is it just me or are there some complete dorks out there that pay for

    just
    > > about anything

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-11383690.htm

    > > all this stuff is available free from various websites, I'm sure the 5
    > > unanswered questions would be stating that. Then there is people who

    buy CD
    > > keys/key generators from various dodgy people and complain when the dont
    > > work .... are people really that gullible ...gotta laugh though ...J
    > >

    > I'd like to see trademe change the policy on questions asked , to show
    > all the unanswered questions on an auction.
    >
    > At the moment as you said their are people telling buyers about the fact
    > that they are bidding for an item that is cheaper in the shops or free
    > on the internet etc.
    >
    > The only reason i can see for trademe letting the seller decide which
    > questions to answer and which ones not to answer , is that when you get
    > people telling bidders that they are an idiot for bidding for something
    > that can be brought cheaper in the shops, then the bidder may pull out
    > which in return lowers the price that the seller gets and therefore
    > trademe makes less commission.

    Bingo.
    JohnO, May 13, 2004
  4. Weez

    Barg Guest

    Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."

    Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!

    "Never give a sucker an even break." P.T. Barnum
    "A fool and his money are soon parted."

    Barg, May 13, 2004
  5. What annoys me is staring bid set toooooo far below reserve.( & an unrealistic
    reserve)
    ie a $600 reserve & a $50 starting bid. So people think, Ill bid
    $50-$100 (not expecting to have to go 12x higher) & everyone ends up wasting
    their time
    Steve Robertson, May 13, 2004
  6. Weez

    PseUDO Guest

    Barg wrote:

    > Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    > asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    >
    > Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!
    >
    > "Never give a sucker an even break." P.T. Barnum
    > "A fool and his money are soon parted."

    So i see you must of been sucked in by buying something off trademe
    secondhand when you could have brought it brand new at the shop.

    You should check the retail price first before you bid, then you wont
    make and idiot out of yourselve again !!

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, May 13, 2004
  7. Weez

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <kMEoc.1706$>,
    Barg <> wrote:

    > Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    > asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    >
    > Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!

    however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    are stolen.
    whoisthis, May 13, 2004
  8. Weez

    Barg Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > Barg wrote:
    >
    >> Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    >> asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    >>
    >> Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!
    >>
    >> "Never give a sucker an even break." P.T. Barnum
    >> "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    >>

    > So i see you must of been sucked in by buying something off trademe
    > secondhand when you could have brought it brand new at the shop.
    >
    > You should check the retail price first before you bid, then you wont
    > make and idiot out of yourselve again !!
    >
    > PseUDO

    Wrong PseUDO. But I have _sold_ some stuff... ;-)
    Barg, May 13, 2004
  9. Weez

    Barg Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > What annoys me is staring bid set toooooo far below reserve.( & an
    > unrealistic reserve)
    > ie a $600 reserve & a $50 starting bid. So people think, Ill bid
    > $50-$100 (not expecting to have to go 12x higher) & everyone ends up
    > wasting their time

    Not quite right on your figures, Steve. If I remember rightly the starting
    bid has to be no less than 10% of the reserve. (Now there's a big clue for
    new buyers!!) So your $600-reserve example couldn't start at less than
    $60.
    Barg, May 13, 2004
  10. Weez

    Collector Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    >In article <kMEoc.1706$>,
    > Barg <> wrote:
    >

    >>Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    >>asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    >>
    >>Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!
    >>

    >however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    >are stolen.

    If you feel strongly about this Join Trade Me and raise it on the Trade
    Me Community Board where discussions of this sort of thing are common.
    Collector, May 13, 2004
  11. Weez

    Howard Guest

    Barg wrote:

    > Not quite right on your figures, Steve. If I remember rightly the
    > starting bid has to be no less than 10% of the reserve. (Now there's
    > a big clue for new buyers!!) So your $600-reserve example couldn't
    > start at less than $60.

    No Barg, its you who is incorrect.

    The 10% figure (actually it's 15%) is the margin at which the TradeMe system
    flags to bidders that they're getting close to the reserve.

    -H
    Howard, May 13, 2004
  12. "Weez" <> wrote in message
    > Is it just me or are there some complete dorks out there that pay for just
    > about anything
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-11383690.htm
    >
    > all this stuff is available free from various websites, I'm sure the 5
    > unanswered questions would be stating that. Then there is people who buy
    > CD
    > keys/key generators from various dodgy people and complain when the dont
    > work .... are people really that gullible ...gotta laugh though ...J

    I just logged into trademe and posted a question asking if it's HVCPlus he's
    trying to flog.
    Wonder if he replies?

    :)

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, May 13, 2004
  13. Weez

    Barg Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Barg wrote:
    >
    >> Not quite right on your figures, Steve. If I remember rightly the
    >> starting bid has to be no less than 10% of the reserve. (Now there's
    >> a big clue for new buyers!!) So your $600-reserve example couldn't
    >> start at less than $60.

    > No Barg, its you who is incorrect.
    >
    > The 10% figure (actually it's 15%) is the margin at which the TradeMe
    > system flags to bidders that they're getting close to the reserve.
    >
    > -H

    Bzzzzt! WRONG!! I just tried it. A $250 reserve with a $20 start returned
    the message: "The start price must be at least 10% of the reserve price -
    in this case, $25.00"
    Barg, May 13, 2004
  14. Weez

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kMEoc.1706$>,
    > Barg <> wrote:
    >
    > > Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    > > asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    > >
    > > Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!

    > however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    > are stolen

    Also some answers are just plain wrong there was one guy selling a satellite
    dish.. who said just plug it into the tvset! yep thats right no decoder! LOL

    and it was given to him in exchange for rent owed! hehehe Hello this is Sky
    where is our dish???
    Craig Sutton, May 13, 2004
  15. Weez

    JohnO Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <kMEoc.1706$>,
    > > Barg <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like,

    "We're
    > > > asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    > > >
    > > > Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!

    > > however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    > > are stolen

    > Also some answers are just plain wrong there was one guy selling a

    satellite
    > dish.. who said just plug it into the tvset! yep thats right no decoder!

    LOL

    > and it was given to him in exchange for rent owed! hehehe Hello this is

    Sky
    > where is our dish???

    That sounds like someone hocking stolen goods to me!
    JohnO, May 13, 2004
  16. Weez

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <40a33cdb$>,
    Collector <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > >In article <kMEoc.1706$>,
    > > Barg <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Get a life! Next you'll be insisting that shops post signs like, "We're
    > >>asking $xxx for this but you can get it $20 cheaper down the road."
    > >>
    > >>Idiots are everywhere. Better idea to try and outlaw them!
    > >>

    > >however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    > >are stolen.
    > >

    > If you feel strongly about this Join Trade Me and raise it on the Trade
    > Me Community Board where discussions of this sort of thing are common.

    I AM on trademe, and I regularly ping people who have stolen/pirated
    goods for sale. I have 3-6 auctions closed each day.
    whoisthis, May 13, 2004
  17. Weez

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:16:53 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >"We're

    >> > however it also blocks people asking questions that may show the goods
    >> > are stolen

    >> Also some answers are just plain wrong there was one guy selling a

    >satellite
    >> dish.. who said just plug it into the tvset! yep thats right no decoder!

    >LOL
    >>
    >> and it was given to him in exchange for rent owed! hehehe Hello this is

    >Sky
    >> where is our dish???
    >>

    >That sounds like someone hocking stolen goods to me!

    How about the guy selling a P333 laptop, who said he'd owned it from
    new and it was 8 months old. Or how about the number of cell-phones
    for sale with no charger.

    What really gets me is laptop sellers who expect top dollar for
    machines in that range from P333 to, say P900, with a bad, or even no
    battery and no OS. That's 5 to 6 hundred dollars more to spend, and
    usually more than the value of the machine.

    And while I'm ranting, what about people who use pseudo jive-speak in
    their descriptions and their answers to questions, so that it's
    difficult to make out the truth of the answer. ("Like it's one ace,
    like lappy, dude" - give me a break) One guy I went back to three
    times to get a straight answer on whether it had an OS license and
    when I asked him just to give a yes/no answer, I got no reply.

    /rant

    JJD
    JJD, May 13, 2004
  18. Weez

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:14:01 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Weez wrote:
    >> Is it just me or are there some complete dorks out there that pay for just
    >> about anything
    >>
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-11383690.htm
    >>
    >> all this stuff is available free from various websites, I'm sure the 5
    >> unanswered questions would be stating that. Then there is people who buy CD
    >> keys/key generators from various dodgy people and complain when the dont
    >> work .... are people really that gullible ...gotta laugh though ...J
    >>

    >I'd like to see trademe change the policy on questions asked , to show
    >all the unanswered questions on an auction.
    >
    >At the moment as you said their are people telling buyers about the fact
    >that they are bidding for an item that is cheaper in the shops or free
    >on the internet etc.
    >
    >The only reason i can see for trademe letting the seller decide which
    >questions to answer and which ones not to answer , is that when you get
    >people telling bidders that they are an idiot for bidding for something
    >that can be brought cheaper in the shops, then the bidder may pull out
    >which in return lowers the price that the seller gets and therefore
    >trademe makes less commission.

    There's also a more obvious reason. You get just as many tire kickers
    as you do overpriced sellers on Trademe, probably more. All it takes
    is one pillock to ruin your chances of selling something on Trademe.
    Since trademe is an auction site a stupid comment posted on the Q&A
    can result in a lower selling price for the seller, or a no-sale. So
    the seller has discretion on whether to reply or not... which is
    reasonable enough to me.

    If some plonker ruins an auction, which happens quite often, the
    seller loses up to a week if they pull the ad and relist it. They also
    lose any fees they paid, such as extra pictures, bold & gallery
    listing etc, so it's only fair the seller gets some slight control
    over their own advertisement IMO.

    As for the prices some people ask... well no matter how greedy a
    seller appears to the casual observer it is still no business of
    non-bidders and they should keep their comments to themselves. It's
    not illegal to ask a high price, there's no set markup on goods and
    some people are more greedy, or more astute business-wise, than
    others. Sellers on Trademe are merely a reflection of life in the big
    bad world. Some people are bent, some are greedy, most are pretty
    straight.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, May 14, 2004
  19. Weez

    Howard Guest

    Barg wrote:

    > Bzzzzt! WRONG!! I just tried it. A $250 reserve with a $20 start
    > returned the message: "The start price must be at least 10% of the
    > reserve price - in this case, $25.00"

    My profound apologies. I've learnt something new today.

    Anyway I reckon it should be reversed. TradeMe auctions would be mcuh less
    time wasting if the limit was

    "The start price must be at least *90%* of the reserve price - in this case,
    $225.00"
    Howard, May 14, 2004
  20. Should retailers or part time 'trade me' retailers
    be banned or forced to list as retailer (as in the car section)
    Many of them are selling new goods with reserve at or above retail.
    Steve Robertson, May 14, 2004