    fixed price offer like that?!?

    Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 12, 2008

  2. Peter Huebner

    greg Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
    > found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
    > $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
    >
    > Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
    > 'reserve reached'.
    >
    > After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
    > for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
    >
    > WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
    > knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
    > fixed price offer like that?!?
    >
    > Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.
    >
    > -Peter

    Yes it is a con, most likely has a second one that has been offered at
    the fixed price.

    greg, Oct 12, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
    > found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
    > $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
    >
    > Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
    > 'reserve reached'.
    >
    > After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
    > for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
    >
    > WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
    > knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
    > fixed price offer like that?!?
    >
    > Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.
    >
    > -Peter

    Another con, auctions flagged as no reserve yet they have a starting bid of
    say $79 like this...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Satellite-receivers/auction-181068947.htm

    No reserve means that by definition if theres no bid then a minimum bid
    amount should become the leading bid, in this case say 50 cents. This
    auction does have a reserve, of $79, yet it's flagged as no reserve.

    J&H.

  4. Peter Huebner, Oct 12, 2008
  5. Peter Huebner

    > In article <48f24905$>, jekyll& says...
    >>
    >> Another con, auctions flagged as no reserve yet they have a starting bid
    >> of
    >> say $79 like this...
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Satellite-receivers/auction-181068947.htm
    >>

    > Actually, I would not consider that a con: effectively the starting bid
    > is reserve, you make a bid, the auction is yours - fair enough, you see
    > what you get up front so it's not making any false pretenses.
    >
    > -P.

    The reserve is $79. If there truly was no reserve then the first bid, for
    the minimum amount will become the leading bid.
    But that's impossible because the starting bid is $79.
    No reserve means "the seller has not specified a reserve price". So how can
    the seller then specify $79 as the starting bid, effectively setting the
    reserve.
    It is making false pretenses as the auction is listed as "no reserve", when
    clearly there is a reserve.

    J&H.

    Je|, Oct 13, 2008
  6. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
    > found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
    > $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
    >
    > Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
    > 'reserve reached'.
    >
    > After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
    > for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
    >
    > WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
    > knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
    > fixed price offer like that?!?
    >
    > Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.

    No, thats the norm. A $1 reserve to get interested people then offer to
    the rest at what they normally have as a buy now or slightly cheaper.

    The problem is that you can only offer 1 even if you have many
    underbidders which IMO sucks.

    Richard, Oct 13, 2008