    Paul Gunson Guest

    for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    Paul Gunson, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Paul Gunson

    Jon Frere Guest

    "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    news:cndpo4$9b2$...
    > for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    > this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    Hi, it seemed fine when I used it briefly at around 7:10 this morning over
    broadband to check my watchlist. Cheers, Jon.

    Jon Frere, Nov 16, 2004

  3. "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    > for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    > this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    Last nite it was doing similar things - very slow, sometimes pages didnt
    open. Probably overloaded I suspect. Seems ok today for me.

    Matthew Strickland, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Matthew Strickland wrote:
    > Last nite it was doing similar things - very slow, sometimes pages didnt
    > open. Probably overloaded I suspect. Seems ok today for me.

    yeah its still not working for me on lame old ihug dial-up... never
    finishes loading the main page in either firefox or IE. it loaded far
    enough for me to see "20,000 users online". (!?!)

    Paul Gunson, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Paul Gunson

    Rider Guest

    > for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    > this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    Its been playing up for at least a week off and on.

    Rider, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Paul Gunson

    Sameer Guest

    That's probably not too good for the $1 reserve met items that no one else
    can bid on! And I suppose if you're patient enough you could be the winner
    of those auctions.

    Sameer, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Paul Gunson

    TomV Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:59:46 +1300, Paul Gunson <>
    wrote:

    >for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    >this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    I often see these messages about Trade me, but never have any issues
    with it. I was just browsing before I read this message with teh same
    fast loading and service I always get.

    ....tom

    TomV, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Paul Gunson

    Nelly Guest

    wrote:

    >for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    >this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    I'm having problems with it on a Ihug dial up account. Broadband at
    work seems fine.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Paul Gunson

    Nelly Guest

    wrote:

    >for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    >this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too :(

    The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

    Nelly, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Nelly wrote:
    >>for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    >>this...?

    > The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

    thats because it is run by the same people.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  11. Paul Gunson

    Nelly Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:26:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Nelly wrote:
    >>>for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
    >>>this...?

    >> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

    >thats because it is run by the same people.

    I know, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning. I think I've had
    problems with Trademe since Sunday. and it has affected an auction of
    mine.

    Nelly, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

    > thats because it is run by the same people.

    .... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
    reach the support page to send an e-mail :(

    Paul Gunson, Nov 17, 2004
  13. Paul Gunson wrote:
    >>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

    >> thats because it is run by the same people.

    > ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
    > reach the support page to send an e-mail :(

    you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.

    if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
    contact number, or email the technical contact.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  14. Paul Gunson

    Nelly Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:48:26 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >>> thats because it is run by the same people.

    >> ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
    >> reach the support page to send an e-mail :(

    >you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.
    >
    >if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
    >contact number, or email the technical contact.

    This was on the Ihug MOTD...

    Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
    Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
    Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
    trademe.co.nz website.

    Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
    problem.

    Sorry for any inconvenience.

    I hope that those of us who have auctions will have the auction
    automatically extended.

    Nelly, Nov 18, 2004
  15. Paul Gunson

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Nelly wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:48:26 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:

    >>> ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
    >>> reach the support page to send an e-mail :(

    >>you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.
    >>
    >>if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
    >>contact number, or email the technical contact.

    > This was on the Ihug MOTD...
    >
    > Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
    > Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
    > Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
    > trademe.co.nz website.
    >
    > Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
    > problem.
    >
    > Sorry for any inconvenience.
    >
    > I hope that those of us who have auctions will have the auction
    > automatically extended.
    >

    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Are these issues with Trademe anything to do with this ?

    http://tinyurl.com/43p24

    TelstraClear starts de-peering this week
    ISPs 'forced' to sign-up for commercial offering

    Juha Saarinen, Auckland

    Unfazed by network operator protests, TelstraClear last week went ahead with
    its controversial decision to remove peering at the Auckland (APE) and
    Wellington (WIX) internet exchanges.

    The peering, or exchange of internet traffic, arrangements were inherited
    when Telstra bought Clear Communications. The latter provider saw peering
    as a way to increase the efficiency and value of its network in New
    Zealand. Peering makes it easier for networks to connect to each other and
    brings other benefits such as shorter and more diverse routes. Networks
    peering at one or both exchanges can then decide whether or not to exchange
    data with one another for free or by paying one another.

    <snip>

    Questions from Computerworld to the Commerce Commission asking whether
    internet peering is being investigated or monitored here have so far gone
    unanswered.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 18, 2004
  16. Re: trademe down... or IHUG?

    Nelly <> wrote:

    >This was on the Ihug MOTD...
    >
    >Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
    >Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
    >Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
    >trademe.co.nz website.
    >
    >Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
    >problem.

    IHUG is having some trouble with its hardware in Wellington, so any
    web-sites physically hosted in Wellington seem to be failing for its
    customers. That includes Trade Me - which probably accounts for a big
    chunk of Wellington-sourced Internet traffic for the ISP. If I dial up
    through Telstra-Clear, Trade Me is fine. If I dial up through IHUG,
    I'm lucky to get a bit of yellow and a few malformed tabs and a
    complete rendered page is out of the question. :-(

    And, since I'm in the South Island, a lot of other web-sites are
    affected - perhaps because a lot of IHUG's South Island traffic is
    routed through IHUG's Wellington hardware.

    That seems to be what IHUG's help-desk is saying, anyway.

    -Steve M

    Steve Marshall, Nov 18, 2004
  17. Paul Gunson

    Kevin Guest

    Re: trademe down (good job)

    Excellent, long may it stay down. It may keep the scammers and overprice
    dreamers off for a while.

    Kevin, Dec 3, 2004
  18. Paul Gunson

    whoisthis Guest

    Re: trademe down (good job)

    In article <coqmv6$f9m$>, "Kevin" <>
    wrote:

    > Excellent, long may it stay down. It may keep the scammers and overprice
    > dreamers off for a while.

    as well as the people selling:
    Stolen goods
    Pirated music
    Pirated software
    Illegally imported porn

    Then there are those who are:
    Acting as a business who do not pay taxes
    On a benefit and running an "online" business
    Acting as 2nd hand dealers without being registered as such
    Import good into NZ and not pay taxes, ie the people who have friends
    who travel to Hong Kong regularly and get them to bring in new laptops
    minis the boxes etc and not declaring them.

    Good news is I think the IRD, customs, and internal affairs are now
    seeing this as a huge pool of unpaid taxes etc and will probably be
    doing a request for all the trading records of everyone.... I suspect
    there will be tens of millions of dollars in taxes to collect as well as
    millions in fines, etc etc.

    This of course may cause the governmemt to crack down on the likes of
    trademe. I know the police now can't be bothered with all the scams on
    trademe, they just shrug their shoulders and say tough, so many
    complaints about them that they can no longer be bothered.

    whoisthis, Dec 4, 2004